+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR approved before OWP?

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
HELP! We applied beginning of November for Inland Spouse PR and OWP. We never got an AOR. Called IRCC and they said that everything is still ok, just that our particular agent never sent out an official AOR. Since then we linked our PR application online and our application has remained at 27% saying "Submitted" ever since. People on the spreadsheet are at over 55% now!

We were NEVER able to link OWP online.

Called IRCC again and they didn't even have an application number for the OWP and said they haven't even started looking at our OWP, "as most likely priority has been given to our PR application", the person said. What does this mean? Does this mean a good thing, that we could get our PR approved before OWP? or is it a bad sign? It was a straightforward application for my husband from the UK no complications.

I'm worried. But there hasn't been any correspondance requesting further documents or instructions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HELP! We applied beginning of November for Inland Spouse PR and OWP. We never got an AOR. Called IRCC and they said that everything is still ok, just that our particular agent never sent out an official AOR. Since then we linked our PR application online and our application has remained at 27% saying "Submitted" ever since. People on the spreadsheet are at over 55% now!

Called IRCC again and they didn't even have an application number for the OWP and said they haven't even started looking at our OWP, "as most likely priority has been given to our PR application", the person said. What does this mean? Does this mean a good thing, that we could get our PR approved before OWP? or is it a bad sign? It was a straightforward application for my husband from the UK no complications.

I'm worried. But there hasn't been any correspondance requesting further documents or instructions.
Something has gone wrong because this isn’t normal. The fact that you didn’t get AOR concerns me. Maybe your application got misplaced temporarily. Did they tell you when you were granted AOR for PR?

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Something has gone wrong because this isn’t normal. The fact that you didn’t get AOR concerns me. Maybe your application got misplaced temporarily. Did they tell you when you were granted AOR for PR?
When I called they said that the application had been received and it was “in process”. They gave me the application number then also so I could link online. So we didn’t receive an official AOR email but the person on phone said it had been received and was being reviewed. They said there were no additional notes on our file requesting any further documents or instructions at this time. So if our application had been lost they would have told us over the phone.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

The OWP often can't be linked. It is processed by a separate area, so they are not "giving priority to the PR app". That's just call centre speak for "we have no idea what we are talking about".

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
The OWP often can't be linked. It is processed by a separate area, so they are not "giving priority to the PR app". That's just call centre speak for "we have no idea what we are talking about".
So can you provide any ideas on to why we don't have an application number for our OWP yet? Or why they haven't even started looking at it? And why we are the only ones stuck at 27% completion in terms of status when everyone else is at over 50%?

:oops: I'm worried

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So can you provide any ideas on to why we don't have an application number for our OWP yet? Or why they haven't even started looking at it? And why we are the only ones stuck at 27% completion in terms of status when everyone else is at over 50%?

:oops: I'm worried
Take what the call centre has said with a grain of salt. It is entirely possible that the OWP is already in process. It does take around 4 months. As for the 27%, it is not an actual percentage of what has been completed, so don't stress about it.

Reactions: chocococo

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Take what the call centre has said with a grain of salt. It is entirely possible that the OWP is already in process. It does take around 4 months. As for the 27%, it is not an actual percentage of what has been completed, so don't stress about it.
If the OWP was in process they’d be able to give me an application number for it though right? And there was none when I called.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Not always.
Please help me figure out whether this is true or not.

I phoned IRCC again today and I got a different explanation. They said they haven't even begun to look at my husband's OWP application yet because they are still have to review his eligibility for PR. They said that we won't get an OWP application number, be able to link, or get approval, within the 4 month time frame because he is on visitors status and they have to assess his PR eligibility first before they start the OWP. Those who currently have status in Canada as a worker or student already are the ones who usually are able to link their application and receive the OWP within the 4 month time frame.

It sounds like they are saying that those who are currently on a work/student visa are the ones who are able to link their applications quicker and get their OWP within the 4 month time frame. Those who are on a Visitor Visa don't and their approval is delayed while their eligibility is being assessed?

Have you ever heard such an explanation? Where there's different timeframes depending on what status you had at the time of application?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada

I phoned IRCC again today and I got a different explanation. They said they haven't even begun to look at my husband's OWP application yet because they are still have to review his eligibility for PR. They said that we won't get an OWP application number, be able to link, or get approval, within the 4 month time frame because he is on visitors status and they have to assess his PR eligibility first before they start the OWP. Those who currently have status in Canada as a worker or student already are the ones who usually are able to link their application and receive the OWP within the 4 month time frame.

It sounds like they are saying that those who are currently on a work/student visa are the ones who are able to link their applications quicker and get their OWP within the 4 month time frame. Those who are on a Visitor Visa don't and their approval is delayed while their eligibility is being assessed?

Have you ever heard such an explanation? Where there's different timeframes depending on what status you had at the time of application?
Again, as was said above, you basically have to ignore what the call centre tells you. They're not equipped to answer questions like this, so you get what someone untrained in the processes tells you they think they know.

Not everyone can ever link an OWP. Many people try and fail and get the OWP.

In terms of verifying his eligibility for PR - that is somewhat true for some OWP and PR applications but not for the Spouse in-Canada class. They just need to verify you applied for PR in Canada and had status when you applied.

People who had no status when they applied do need to wait until they have approval-in-principal for PR (near the end of their process) so the answer you got from the call centre isn't completely wrong, just wrong for you (assuming your spouse was in-status when you applied)

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Again, as was said above, you basically have to ignore what the call centre tells you. They're not equipped to answer questions like this, so you get what someone untrained in the processes tells you they think they know.

Not everyone can ever link an OWP. Many people try and fail and get the OWP.

In terms of verifying his eligibility for PR - that is somewhat true for some OWP and PR applications but not for the Spouse in-Canada class. They just need to verify you applied for PR in Canada and had status when you applied.

People who had no status when they applied do need to wait until they have approval-in-principal for PR (near the end of their process) so the answer you got from the call centre isn't completely wrong, just wrong for you (assuming your spouse was in-status when you applied)
Yes, spouse was in status. So why then is everyone else who applied at the same time (I check the spreadsheet) receiving their OWP permits already and yet they haven't even looked at ours yet? What could be some possible explanations for this?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yes, spouse was in status. So why then is everyone else who applied at the same time (I check the spreadsheet) receiving their OWP permits already and yet they haven't even looked at ours yet? What could be some possible explanations for this?
No idea. Your particular visa officer may have been sick or on vacation.

The spreadsheet is in no way an accurate representation of all applicants.

Reactions: CanUK333

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Also, the % figure in your tracker is based on the amount of time has passed since your application was received, calculated against 12 months.

27% indicates that your application was received about 3.5 months ago - not 4. Four months of processing would be 33%,

Reactions: Qwertypod

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Seriously, don't call the Call Centre. They are not visa officers; they are just poorly trained call centre workers with minimal knowledge. Call several times, get several answers.

As explained above, what you were told applies to people who were in Canada illegally at the time of submission. It doesn't apply to visitors.

It can often take 4-5 months. Don't rely on everyone else's timelines.