+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application with Canada arrest

orcafusion

Feb 28, 2019
Hi all,

I am currently on an open work permit through IEC program and will be applying for permanent residence hopefully in the next few months.

Unfortunately I was arrested in BC, Canada during my time for drunk in a public place, I also refused to pay a taxi at the time which resulted in the police charging me with suspected fraud under $ 5000 (it was a $15 taxi fare).

The police have said I do not have a criminal record and it wasn't a conviction. I just spent a few hours in the cell to sober up. They then released me with no court or fine (they should have given me a fine but the nice police officer did not issue this).

I hope my silly mistake will not effect my permanent residence application (I don't believe it will as after I have researched it, from what I can tell, it is not deemed inadmissible to Canada).

Could this effect my application, if so what can I do to minimise the effects?

Thank you in advance.

Prasad001

Apr 4, 2019
Hey, you will be fine but make sure be truthful with your application and explain in detail what happened and submit all the related documents if u have one(court documents and police certificate).....Gud luck with your application!

orcafusion

Feb 28, 2019
Okay great, thank you for the information. How can you be sure that it will be okay, I mean where is the information found?

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
If you don't have criminal record then you are no problem ~

Arresting and Charge won't give you criminal record unless you convicted

but you need to be honest on application

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You can get an RCMP criminal record to see what it says. If it's clean, you do not have a criminal record and will not be inadmissible. However, you must be honest in your application (it asks if you were ever "charged or convicted"). There's bound to be a record of your charge somewhere.

Prasad001

Apr 4, 2019
Okay great, thank you for the information. How can you be sure that it will be okay, I mean where is the information found?
Well, As u said it is not deemed inadmissible to Canada. Though, police will keep the arrest records which Ircc will check during your criminality background check....if u declare the incident u will be fine. If u don’t it could cause Mispresentation. Gud luck !

express2020

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
St
Hi all,

I am currently on an open work permit through IEC program and will be applying for permanent residence hopefully in the next few months.

Unfortunately I was arrested in BC, Canada during my time for drunk in a public place, I also refused to pay a taxi at the time which resulted in the police charging me with suspected fraud under $ 5000 (it was a $15 taxi fare).

The police have said I do not have a criminal record and it wasn't a conviction. I just spent a few hours in the cell to sober up. They then released me with no court or fine (they should have given me a fine but the nice police officer did not issue this).

I hope my silly mistake will not effect my permanent residence application (I don't believe it will as after I have researched it, from what I can tell, it is not deemed inadmissible to Canada).

Could this effect my application, if so what can I do to minimise the effects?

Thank you in advance.
To minimize the effects, asap join a local Alcoholics Anonymous meet club or some BC government-run Alchohol/Drinking problem group. Faithfully complete the course and get a participatory certificate or some reference letter from the mentor there. Attach it when you are applying for PR.

If you are put under scrutiny during ur PR process, those certificate(s)/letter(s) will go a long way in convincing CIC to forgive your silly mistake as you have shown that u have taken responsibility for your actions immediately after your arrest and release and made amends.

Good luck with your PR.