+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application under CEC-Is it required to engage a lawyer/consultant?

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Hi! Request advice on whether to engage a consultant to apply on my behalf or should I do it myself?

I would be gathering all my documents myself anyway so what role would the consultant/lawyer play?

Thanks

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Please use the search function.
I asked a similar question before:

>> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/diy-cec-application-or-lawyer-t135182.0.html;msg2083679#msg2083679

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
I believe you should gather all the documents yourself and then bring it in for a check, So that the lawyer/consultant can check if you missed anything or did anything wrong. will save you some money instead of starting from scratch with them.

When I was still living in Edmonton, The catholic social services offered free consultation and advice and had seminars regarding immigration. They has people who meet up one on one to check an applicants application to be submitted. And mind you even if it was free they were great.

I do not know if they have it in toronto, you can research that. goodluck!

s_w_u

Mar 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2012
AOR Received.
13-09-2012
Med's Request
05-03-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013
Passport Req..
11-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Exempted; CoPR 14-05-2013
LANDED..........
15-05-2013; PR Card received 25-07-2013
Toronto2013 said:
Hi! Request advice on whether to engage a consultant to apply on my behalf or should I do it myself?

I would be gathering all my documents myself anyway so what role would the consultant/lawyer play?

Thanks
Sorry but I really feel its just like ppl asking whether they should take economic class or first class given nobody know their own affordability and background and so on

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
s_w_u said:
Sorry but I really feel its just like ppl asking whether they should take economic class or first class given nobody know their own affordability and background and so on
I agree. But I think we also agree on that you dont NEED a lawyer for the application, as it's a pretty straight forward process and all questions can be answered on your own or with the help of other more experienced users on this forum.
Having a lawyer proof read your application is not a bad idea, but not necessary.

Can you afford a lawyer? Do you want to pay a lawyer? If you can and want, go for it. But there's still work like gathering documents you will have to do.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with the above.

It's not something that is necessary needed, unless you have a complex case... However, if you are using a good lawyer, or even consultant, it can be beneficial - for lots of people.

I used one and I'm happy I did. There were several errors I made - granted they were minor... However, overall I'm glad I choose to use one.

If you can afford it and have any concerns, it won't hurt to go with one. However, at the same time, if it's going to cost you too much money and you don't think you need one, you really don't need to go with them. Just make sure you check your application a few times (against the instructions and docs check list) to make sure you haven't made any errors - especially serious ones!

These forums are pretty good - people will help you where they can. Also, the search function is great - this forum has years worth of information just waiting to be read! :)

Good luck.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
jsm0085 said:
I agree with the above.

It's not something that is necessary needed, unless you have a complex case... However, if you are using a good lawyer, or even consultant, it can be beneficial - for lots of people.

I used one and I'm happy I did. There were several errors I made - granted they were minor... However, overall I'm glad I choose to use one.

If you can afford it and have any concerns, it won't hurt to go with one. However, at the same time, if it's going to cost you too much money and you don't think you need one, you really don't need to go with them. Just make sure you check your application a few times (against the instructions and docs check list) to make sure you haven't made any errors - especially serious ones!

These forums are pretty good - people will help you where they can. Also, the search function is great - this forum has years worth of information just waiting to be read! :)

Good luck.
As I'm about to mail my application, may I ask you what 'minor' mistakes you made in your application?
I didn't use a lawyer, just had friends and family proof read my application, but they dont know anything
about immigration laws and stuff, so were only checking for missing documents or fields in forms I forgot to
fill out.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
As I'm about to mail my application, may I ask you what 'minor' mistakes you made in your application?
I didn't use a lawyer, just had friends and family proof read my application, but they dont know anything
about immigration laws and stuff, so were only checking for missing documents or fields in forms I forgot to
fill out.
NOC
Dates on background dec (all time must be accounted for)
Have you ever... filled in incorrectly!
UCI incorrect

and the list goes on! :)

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Thank you all for the replies. For some reason I didn't get any alerts on replies to this thread so I didn't realize that I received replies to my query.

Mine is a straight forward case. One year exp in Canada and applying under CEC. However my NOC query on this forum is still not answered and I am awaiting a reply. Thanks

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Also when I enquired about lawyers, the fee range was from 2500 to 3500 and I am wondering whether it is worth it I am doing all the work :) I will take a call after I collect all the documents. Thanks