+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application - Non accompanying common-law partner/family section

moscardino1

Mar 19, 2023
Hi, I am a work permit holder since last September and just been invited in the PR application process. I have two questions:
  • I am living in Toronto since dec-2020 and my girlfriend is Canadian. Do I need to include her in the PR process as non accompanying common-law partner since we’ve been living together in the last 2 years? I’ve read that if I include her we need to retrieve her police certificates and medical exams. Is it correct? Why is this needed if she’s already a Canadian citizen? In my invitation, CRS total Spouse related score was 0.
  • Should I include my parents and my siblings in the family section of the Application/profile details even if it’s not their intention to migrate to Canada? Do I need to provide their police certificates and medical exams if I add them?
Thanks a lot

trampolinegirl

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
1. My partner is also Canadian. What I did was include him in my count of family members, say he was not accompanying, and then put 'Canadian citizen' in the follow up question of 'Why isn't he accompanying?'. My application was recently approved, so this was apparently acceptable, although I did have to put a bunch of information about him (I was asked to prove he has a Canadian relative living in Canada with his birth certificate, father's passport, father's utility bills etc. which I'm sure was completely irrelevant to my application). I have no idea if it was IRCC's intention. I did not get asked for police certificates or a medical for him.

I've seen some comments that perhaps a Canadian partner is not supposed to be included in your family size when you fill out the EE information originally, and maybe that would simplify things, but when I filled that out it said to include your partner, so I followed the instruction.

Tl:dr I have no idea what you're actually supposed to do, I just answered everything truthfully and then submitted the excessive documents they asked for afterward. The system doesn't seem well set up for this situation.

2. You definitely have to list all your family members, yes. Just listing their details should not prompt any documentation to be required for them.

moscardino1

Mar 19, 2023
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Really precious! This part of the application is really confusing, so any clarification is really much appreciated.