+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application - From Single to Common-Law post-ITA

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I read different topics already but I can't find the answer to my question.

I live in Toronto and I'm currently in the Express Entry pool for FSW with a score of 527. I have an open work permit that expires in June and my plan was to apply for a Bridging Work Permit to extend my stay while waiting for the PR to be process. The problem is that the government is not doing any FSW draw at the moment.

My girlfriend also applied for the PR through EE for the CEC stream. She received her ITA a few weeks ago and she is now completing her profile and gathering her documents.

In both of our profiles we applied as single since, well, we will be common-law on June 1st (we moved in together on June 1st 2020).

Seeing that there are no FSW draw, I'm thinking of getting a Common-Law Work Permit thanks to my girlfriend who has a post-graduation work permit. This will allow me to stay here longer until the next FSW draw.

Knowing that none of us lied on our profile regarding our statue and that my girlfriend will submit her profile as single but that we will be considered common law later, what kind of issues this can create? I know that if her score decreases and gets lower than the cut-off score during her draw, they will "cancel" her application and she will need to wait for an other ITA. Other than that, what else can happen?

We are both applying for the PR separately and she doesn't need to sponsor me for it (I only need a common law work permit). We are not trying to get more points for our PR application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I read different topics already but I can't find the answer to my question.

I live in Toronto and I'm currently in the Express Entry pool for FSW with a score of 527. I have an open work permit that expires in June and my plan was to apply for a Bridging Work Permit to extend my stay while waiting for the PR to be process. The problem is that the government is not doing any FSW draw at the moment.

My girlfriend also applied for the PR through EE for the CEC stream. She received her ITA a few weeks ago and she is now completing her profile and gathering her documents.

In both of our profiles we applied as single since, well, we will be common-law on June 1st (we moved in together on June 1st 2020).

Seeing that there are no FSW draw, I'm thinking of getting a Common-Law Work Permit thanks to my girlfriend who has a post-graduation work permit. This will allow me to stay here longer until the next FSW draw.

Knowing that none of us lied on our profile regarding our statue and that my girlfriend will submit her profile as single but that we will be considered common law later, what kind of issues this can create? I know that if her score decreases and gets lower than the cut-off score during her draw, they will "cancel" her application and she will need to wait for an other ITA. Other than that, what else can happen?

We are both applying for the PR separately and she doesn't need to sponsor me for it (I only need a common law work permit). We are not trying to get more points for our PR application.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I don't see any issues. Once you are common law in June 2021, you can apply for an OWP based on her status and will also need to be added to her PR application.

Cherem

Mar 27, 2021
I don't see any issues. Once you are common law in June 2021, you can apply for an OWP based on her status and will also need to be added to her PR application.
Thank you for your answer. It's good to know that we will still be able to apply individually and not as common-law.

Another question though, at the question "Will your spouse or common-law partner come with you to Canada?", what's the answer in my situation? We are already in Canada and we are applying for the PR on our own without the need to sponsor each other. Does the fact that I'm going to apply for an OWP through her work permit, implies that she is "sponsoring" me?

Thank you.