+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application as a Contractor...?

Luke_1234567

Nov 21, 2017
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
Hi guys,

First post, and just came about the forum. I will pay it forward on any help I receive, so looking forward to getting involved!

I have a query and I'm hoping someone can help:

I have been putting together everything I need for my application. I had my degree classified (WES), took a medical, took my English test, and was just getting ready to submit it properly. However, I am a bit concerned on my work status:

Long story short, I work as a Independent Contractor. I am a Host/MC and then an Event Manager/Brand Ambassador/PR Liaison dependant on the gigs. I've been doing these types of jobs since I was 20, so tonnes of experience.

I have been in Canada for 2.5 years now, and have worked pretty much all that time. My tax return for 2016 was strong (2015 I was only in the country for around 4 months, so didn't earn a lot). I am employable, have a stable bank balance, but I am worried that this won't be seen as acceptable :S.

I am hoping someone might be able to give me a heads up on this...how will I show my previous employment? Will it be a problem that I am not in a fixed job?

ANY and ALL advice is MUCH APPRECIATED.

Best

Luke !

Reactions: superspecial90

superspecial90

Aug 13, 2017
Hi guys,

First post, and just came about the forum. I will pay it forward on any help I receive, so looking forward to getting involved!

I have been putting together everything I need for my application. I had my degree classified (WES), took a medical, took my English test, and was just getting ready to submit it properly. However, I am a bit concerned on my work status:

Long story short, I work as a Independent Contractor. I am a Host/MC and then an Event Manager/Brand Ambassador/PR Liaison dependant on the gigs. I've been doing these types of jobs since I was 20, so tonnes of experience.

I have been in Canada for 2.5 years now, and have worked pretty much all that time. My tax return for 2016 was strong (2015 I was only in the country for around 4 months, so didn't earn a lot). I am employable, have a stable bank balance, but I am worried that this won't be seen as acceptable :S.

I am hoping someone might be able to give me a heads up on this...how will I show my previous employment? Will it be a problem that I am not in a fixed job?

Best

Luke !
Welcome to the forum.

Do you work for an employer? Do you have the minimum full-time work experience in a relevant NOC job?
These are two most important factor in your application if you apply under FSW stream.

Having money in an account or a good earning history does not count towards an application in this stream.
And one can only apply based on Education and Work Experience.

Since you work organizing gigs and that section highly emphasises on 'Cultural activities', I think you you could look into selection factors for self-employed people here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/self_employed/selection_factors.asp
and
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/apply-who.asp

Luke_1234567

Nov 21, 2017
Toronto
Visa Office......
Toronto
Welcome to the forum.

Do you work for an employer? Do you have the minimum full-time work experience in a relevant NOC job?
These are two most important factor in your application if you apply under FSW stream.

Having money in an account or a good earning history does not count towards an application in this stream.
And one can only apply based on Education and Work Experience.

Since you work organizing gigs and that section highly emphasises on 'Cultural activities', I think you you could look into selection factors for self-employed people here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/self_employed/selection_factors.asp
and
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/apply-who.asp
Hi Superspecial!

Thanks for coming back to me.

So I work in Experiential Marketing and as a Host/MC. I do contracts with multiple employers (so I had around 12 employers/companies I worked for in 2016 for example). At the end of the year I have a number of T4As, and then have to enter a number of (I believe the form is T2125) to make up my year earnings, and pay applicable taxes.

So my question is this:

Am I looking to apply as a Self-Employed worker, or as a Skilled Worker under the Express Entry? I was doing the latter until recently, but now think it might be for the former I need.

Thanks again for your help. This is a stressful thing to have to do.

Reactions: superspecial90

superspecial90

Aug 13, 2017
Hi Superspecial!

Thanks for coming back to me.

So I work in Experiential Marketing and as a Host/MC. I do contracts with multiple employers (so I had around 12 employers/companies I worked for in 2016 for example). At the end of the year I have a number of T4As, and then have to enter a number of (I believe the form is T2125) to make up my year earnings, and pay applicable taxes.

So my question is this:

Am I looking to apply as a Self-Employed worker, or as a Skilled Worker under the Express Entry? I was doing the latter until recently, but now think it might be for the former I need.

Thanks again for your help. This is a stressful thing to have to do.
To me, you most suitably fit in as a self-employed applicant.
Did you have over 2 years of full-time work experience?
Because, for FSW-stream, you need to provide proof of work experience as such.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

Best

Luke !
If you're looking to apply via EE then your work experience in Canada won't add any points to your application.

Assuming you qualify under the FSW program you could use your foreign work experience to apply via EE.