+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR application and marraige

PHG

Dec 20, 2018
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are applying for PR currently. However, before submitting the final application, we needed certain clarifications:

1. I have already appeared for the IELTS exam. However, before the submitting the application for express entry, if we get married, what would be the validity of my IELTS score?
2. In case both of us apply for the express entry scheme, and get married post application, what would be the impact on change in marital status on both our applications? Also, what procedure must be followed?
3. In case we get married after receiving ITA, can we make modifications to the application?
4. What if we get married after receiving the PR? Can we land as two individuals who have received the PR in their individual name or would we have to apply again? Would we have to inform CIC or VO? What is the procedure for the same?
5. In case only one of us decides to apply for PR, is there any way to add a spouse in the application? At what stage can this be done?
6. In case we get married before starting the entire process, can we immediately start the PR process after we receive the marriage certificate?

I know there are a lot of questions, however guidance from you experts would be really helpful.

samuelja

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are applying for PR currently. However, before submitting the final application, we needed certain clarifications:

1. I have already appeared for the IELTS exam. However, before the submitting the application for express entry, if we get married, what would be the validity of my IELTS score?
2. In case both of us apply for the express entry scheme, and get married post application, what would be the impact on change in marital status on both our applications? Also, what procedure must be followed?
3. In case we get married after receiving ITA, can we make modifications to the application?
4. What if we get married after receiving the PR? Can we land as two individuals who have received the PR in their individual name or would we have to apply again? Would we have to inform CIC or VO? What is the procedure for the same?
5. In case only one of us decides to apply for PR, is there any way to add a spouse in the application? At what stage can this be done?
6. In case we get married before starting the entire process, can we immediately start the PR process after we receive the marriage certificate?

I know there are a lot of questions, however guidance from you experts would be really helpful.
Let me try to help you out as much as I can :-

1. Your IELTS is valid regardless whatever be your relationship status.
2. Change in relationship post application can be a cumbersome process. I would suggest you to get married and submit the PR app.
3. I do not know much on this.
4. Sponsoring spouse after PR can be a long-wait process.
5. There is way to add spouse after PR.
6. You can immediately start, no issues as all.

Reactions: Osinko

PHG

Dec 20, 2018
Let me try to help you out as much as I can :-

1. Your IELTS is valid regardless whatever be your relationship status.
2. Change in relationship post application can be a cumbersome process. I would suggest you to get married and submit the PR app.
3. I do not know much on this.
4. Sponsoring spouse after PR can be a long-wait process.
5. There is way to add spouse after PR.
6. You can immediately start, no issues as all.
Hi thanks for the quick response.
Your guidance is helpful..however we may need a bit more clarity on these questions. Would be great if you could help me with the right person or thread in this forum that can guide me.

I would also like to know if the implications and procedure in case I get married after E-APR?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

??? Exactly the same validity as before you got married. Why do you think getting married would have any impact on that?

If by chance you have been living together already for at least one year, you would be considered "common-law" and be legally required to include each other on your applications, now. If that is the case, there would be no real need to submit two applications, you could simply submit one (you would likely chose one to be the Principal Applicant by whomever has the highest CRS score..)

If that is not the case, you would simply notify IRCC using the Webform after you get married about your change in marital status (include marriage certificate). For most people, this means adding a spouse to their application - and that could be an option for you (again, have only one of you submit the PR application, and add the other one after marriage). But if you both decide to submit applications, you would both have to notify IRCC about the change of marital status - you could include each other's application information, that way IRCC could just link the two applications, instead of asking you to add your spouse to your application.

You would be required to.

4. What if we get married after receiving the PR?
No impact if 2 PRs get married. You do not need to notify IRCC. You do not have to do anything.

It can be done at any time. If only one of you applies and you get married, however, you MUST add your spouse to the application.

Yes ...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi thanks for the quick response.
Your guidance is helpful..however we may need a bit more clarity on these questions. Would be great if you could help me with the right person or thread in this forum that can guide me.

I would also like to know if the implications and procedure in case I get married after E-APR?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

See the sections, "Change in circumstance declared after an e-APR has been submitted" and "Changes to family composition"

ravival

Dec 20, 2018
Hi,

I recently got ITA and ready for applying PR, while creating express entry profile, one of my friend suggested to keep "Never Married/Single", as my wife is not accompanying with me. But now in PR application form, it is asking the same question, do I need to keep the same or I need to keep as married.
Will be any affect with this change in profile. the points are same when I added my spouse to profile, because she is not accompanying with me right now.

Can any one help me in this regard.

PHG

Dec 20, 2018
Hi
Thanks for the quick revert. Was really helpful.

1. I asked about IELTS validity for the purpose of name change post marriage.
2. Also could you tell me the difference between COPR and PR?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
1. I asked about IELTS validity for the purpose of name change post marriage.
Name change with marriage is quite common. Not an issue.

2. Also could you tell me the difference between COPR and PR?
PR=Permanent residence, an immigration status. COPR=Confirmation of Permanent Residence, a document - it is the document you receive from IRCC after you have been approved, this is the document you must have when you land as a permanent resident. (you should also keep this document safe - if you decide to apply for citizenship later, for example, you will need your COPR).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I recently got ITA and ready for applying PR, while creating express entry profile, one of my friend suggested to keep "Never Married/Single", as my wife is not accompanying with me. But now in PR application form, it is asking the same question, do I need to keep the same or I need to keep as married.
Will be any affect with this change in profile. the points are same when I added my spouse to profile, because she is not accompanying with me right now.

Can any one help me in this regard.
Create your own thread instead of hijacking.

Your "friend" advised you to commit fraud. Your wife must be fully included, even if non-accompanying.

Reactions: jes_ON

ravival

Dec 20, 2018
Create your own thread instead of hijacking.

Your "friend" advised you to commit fraud. Your wife must be fully included, even if non-accompanying.
Sorry for entering into thread...
Thanks for your reply...

Can I know if I include her, then my PR will be rejected?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

If you are serious about getting PR, you should decline this ITA, correct your profile, and wait for a new ITA. Claiming to be single when you are not is misrepresentation, and could get you banned from Canada.

There is an option in the profile to show that your spouse is non-accompanying.

Reactions: EE456

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry for entering into thread...
Thanks for your reply...

Can I know if I include her, then my PR will be rejected?
It won't be rejected.

If you are serious about getting PR, you should decline this ITA, correct your profile, and wait for a new ITA. Claiming to be single when you are not is misrepresentation, and could get you banned from Canada.

There is an option in the profile to show that your spouse is non-accompanying.
If his score was different, I would agree with declining the ITA. But as his score won't change, there shouldn't be an issue applying with this ITA and a letter of explanation.

PHG

Dec 20, 2018
Hi needed help regarding one possibility:
What if I get my COPR and I get married before I do the landing? In this case, I know I will have to inform CIC about change in my marital status...but how would it affect my COPR? My husband would be accompanying me.

If his CRS score is low, is there a chance of rejection of visa for both of us?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Hi needed help regarding one possibility:
What if I get my COPR and I get married before I do the landing? In this case, I know I will have to inform CIC about change in my marital status...but how would it affect my COPR? My husband would be accompanying me.

If his CRS score is low, is there a chance of rejection of visa for both of us?
Your COPR will become invalid and your spouse would have to be added to the application, there would be a few months wait for him to be processed. You can only land with the same marital status you have on the COPR, your husband can't land with you if he wasn't included as your husband and accompanying.

PHG

Dec 20, 2018
Your COPR will become invalid and your spouse would have to be added to the application, there would be a few months wait for him to be processed. You can only land with the same marital status you have on the COPR, your husband can't land with you if he wasn't included as your husband and accompanying.
So if I've understood it correctly, I have to add my husband to my application and my cope would be modified.
Is it necessary for me to land before I get my new copr?
Can my husband and I wait for the new pr and then land together?