+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Application Advice -- Engaged but not yet married

Feb 2, 2010
I need some advice on how best to proceed with a PR application. I've been dating my Japanese fiance for over 3 years now; we've been engaged (and living together) since she arrived here April 10, 2009 with a working holiday visa. She also stayed with me here in Canada in 2007 for 6 months with a tourist visa, and I have been to Japan twice to visit her. We would like to apply for a PR card and as well get married in Canada this year (if we can).

From what I understand, her two visa options are marriage and common-law. Common-law doesn't seem possible yet as we won't have lived together for a continuous year until April, which unfortunately is precisely when her visa expires. And marriage won't be possible until we are married (correct me if I'm wrong). I have also heard that a common-law visa is more difficult to obtain.

If we can somehow submit a PR application how, I'm thinking we could change her current working holiday visa to a tourist visa in April which she can use to stay here "while waiting for the application to be processed." Should that work out, we will plan our wedding for some time in the summer. Working is not an issue for her as I am able to support us both.

Is there a way to make this work? I've also heard that applying "outland" will expedite the process--true in this case? One final question--would she be able to visit Japan while waiting for the PR, or would it be difficult for her to reenter?

Thank you in advance. Any advice is welcome.

moo48

Jan 17, 2010
It sounds like everything you said is pretty much true. Common law does seem to me harder, and to apply as a married couple, you have to be married first. If you do want to start the process sooner, you could just have a small civil ceremony so that you could start the process, and then have a big wedding later. That is what my husband and I just did. We were married a month ago so we could start the papers, and are planning our wedding reception for this May.

From what I've read on here, it shouldn't be to hard to get her temporary visa extended, but I don't have any experience with that, so someone else will have to confirm.

Applying outland is always faster, and she should be able to visit Japan she does apply outland. If you apply inland, it is not recommended to leave Canada during processing, which takes on average over a year if you apply inland.

All the info is on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. For some reason, it won't let me post the link.

Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. I've been to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website but wasn't sure if I interpreted everything correctly.

Do you know if it would be difficult to change the working holiday visa into a tourist visa without submitting the PR application? That way we could have our wedding in the summer and then submit the application afterwards. I suppose a civil ceremony would be possible but I think we'd prefer not to if possible.

moo48

Jan 17, 2010
I really have no idea about changing the visa over. It sounds reasonable to me, but you never know! I hope someone else can help you with that question!