+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR and Marriage in process, should I get married before or after I get my PR?

s.hamid.d

Aug 29, 2011
Hi All, I've also asked this question in another topic, just wanted to get more opinions from here

I would really appreciate some help as I'm really confused with the processing times and everything and don't know what to do...

I'm in the process of getting my PR through the provincial nominee program. and have done my medical exams 2 days ago.
I'm also in the process of getting married.

The processing times of spousal sponsorship look too much to me (something around 12-16 months :eek: )

I was wondering if it would be better for me to get married before getting my PR and adding my wife to my application?!??!
My main question is which how much would this affect my PR application, time wise? for example if I'm to get my PR in 6 months, then how much longer would it take if I'd gotten married and added my wife to my application?

My main concern is that my wife would not be in Canada and I'd really like to bring her here so that we are together as soon as possible.

any suggestions or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013 "Med Received" 11-04-2013 "In Process" 10-05-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-07-2013 "Decision Made" 08-07-2013
s.hamid.d said:
Hi All, I've also asked this question in another topic, just wanted to get more opinions from here

I would really appreciate some help as I'm really confused with the processing times and everything and don't know what to do...

I'm in the process of getting my PR through the provincial nominee program. and have done my medical exams 2 days ago.
I'm also in the process of getting married.

The processing times of spousal sponsorship look too much to me (something around 12-16 months :eek: )

I was wondering if it would be better for me to get married before getting my PR and adding my wife to my application?!??!
My main question is which how much would this affect my PR application, time wise? for example if I'm to get my PR in 6 months, then how much longer would it take if I'd gotten married and added my wife to my application?

My main concern is that my wife would not be in Canada and I'd really like to bring her here so that we are together as soon as possible.

any suggestions or thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
IF you want to get married first then it is better to add your spouse to your application. The only other way for you is to wait for your PR first then get married and apply for sponsorship.

You have to notify to CIC when your status change during your PR process. If you get married first and don't notify CIC then your application for your spouse in the future could result a refusal or even your own PR could be terminated.

Second, your PR process will be slightly delayed(probably a few months) if you add your spouse to the application but it will be faster compare to the other option. This is much like a "buy one get one free" concept. :D

s.hamid.d

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks anser0131 for your reply.

do you know what the process is, if I wanted to add my wife to my PR application?
and what documents are required?
is there a link that someone can provide me?

Thanks for all your helps.

jevin

Oct 5, 2014
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Port-of-Spain
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
19-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
I'm also interested in this. I have the PR visa, is it easier to get married and add wife to application or enter at POE then get PR then get married then sponsor?
how long will adding wife to app take if my visa expires mid next year.

As of now she is my girlfriend and this should not affect future application for sponsorship as my official status is "single" according to law - i was honest in the application.

sani.

Mar 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London visa office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05 spetember 2011
Doc's Request.
additiona documents sent2 times (16 feb 2013 & 13 March 2014)
Nomination.....
20 april 2012
AOR Received.
25 april 2012
IELTS Request
submitted with app and 2nd time 16 feb 2013
File Transfer...
07 june 2012 Ecas showed Application received and now Ecas showed In Process since 6 Feb 2014. And also paid RPRF on 13 march 2014
Med's Request
02 july 2014
Med's Done....
21 july 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08 Aug 2014
VISA ISSUED...
19 Sep 2014
LANDED..........
very soon
s.hamid.d said:
Thanks anser0131 for your reply.

do you know what the process is, if I wanted to add my wife to my PR application?
and what documents are required?
is there a link that someone can provide me?

Thanks for all your helps.
My application was also in process and i got married in jan 2014. After that i added my spouse in my application of PR , they required some documents from in Feb 2014.
Updated generic application
Background form( mine and my spouse)
Additional family form( mine and my spouse)
PCC( Mine and my spouse)
National id card copy(my spouse)
3 pics( my spouse)
Passport copy( my spouse)
Processing fee( my spouse)
Rprf( my spouse)
I submitted all these documents in march 2014

After that in june, i got my medical request of mine and my spouse together and also require to fill some forms which are consider as sponsorship of my spouse. I forgot the form numbers but in support of those forms, i sent pics of my wedding, my engagement, our honeymoon pics, our wedding invitation cards and few receipts which proof that my husband was sending me monthly( actually me and my spouse were living in two different countries, me in Pak and my spouse in Spain)

In start of August i got ppr1 and ppr 2 together and by the grace og Allah we got visas in sep 2014.
I hope that it helps to both of u.

In my opinion, its better to add in application except sponsorship after getting pr

Sweetpixie

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-07-2016
Doc's Request.
None (Mycic background check - In progress 22-10-2016)
AOR Received.
AOR1 (10-08-2016) AOR2 (01-09-2016)
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
05-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM 09-12-16 - PPR 12-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-16
Hi! Did CIC request for update on your proof of funds after adding wife to your application? Appreciate your help. Thank you