+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR with Dual intent and sibling PR of Canada. General advice to similar applicants.

ChaChaVidhayakHain

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Hello all,

Alhamdulillah, I received my PPR today and, as the title suggests, I'd like to share my experience of how I went about dealing with the infamous dual intent and having a family member as a PR of Canada.

A little about my background and timeline:
Highest academic qualification: Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering.
Work experience: 4+ yrs. 3 years as an Electrical engineer and 1 year as an IoT developer (IT field).
Course applied for: MSc in Computer Science.
PPR on 2nd March 2021

Previously I had created my Express Entry profile in November 2019 with my work experience as an electrical engineer. I never received an ITA. Also, my sister is a PR of Canada (same province but different city than my University) and settled with her family there for the last 2 years.

How I went about these points in my application:
  • I applied for my study permit on 26th Oct'20, and 1 week prior I withdrew my Express Entry profile. Now, this probably won't create any difference since your information will be saved with IRCC for many years to follow. Still, to show that you aren't interested in immigrating now and genuinely want to study, this might create the slightest of impact.
  • I never mentioned my Express Entry profile or my dual intent throughout the application. Not even in the SoP. So I suggest others do the same. It's a misconception that this might be seen as misrepresentation, but it has been clarified by IRCC several times that the Express Entry profile does not count as an application. So no need to unnecessarily highlight your dual intent when no one is even asking you to.
  • Apart from mentioning in the IMM5645 - Family Information about my sister, I didn't mention her anywhere else (i.e. the SoP). Again the logic is the same as above.
  • My previous academic qualification is a bit different from what I applied for. Even my most work-ex is not in direct relation to my proposed studies. To tackle this I highlighted the only part common between the two fields, how that led me to my job in the IT field and how I need more knowledge in this domain to excel. (Email me at aahhreal@gmail.com and I'll send you my SoP for reference).
  • And lastly, I think it is really important that you explicitly mention your ties with your home country in your SoP. For this part, I mentioned, with proper stats, the job demand of the discussed profile in my home country. Also, I mentioned my parents as my strongest home ties.
Thus I'd advise everyone with a similar case is focus on establishing yourself as a genuine student to the VO rather than dwelling on these points. I wish everyone all the best and would be happy to help you with your queries in this regard.

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
Hey! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. I have a similar profile. I applied in 2019 for a visitor visa to go and meet my sister as she is in Toronto on a PR. I was refused the visitor visa.
Now in 2020, I hold an offer letter from a DLI and have applied for a study permit. I have a Honors BA in English and I applied for a postgraduate certificate in Government Relations Jan 2021 intake. I have no gaps in my profile, no work experience, only internships.
I did not mention the refused visitor visa in my SOP. I didn't mention my sister anywhere except the family information form. I clearly wrote in my SOP that the program is directly in line with my academic interests and goals and provides the required premise for the kind of job positions I would like to hold. I mentioned I am choosing Canada as it will make my application stand out in India.
Let's hope this is enough and I get approved.

Reactions: ChaChaVidhayakHain