+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR - Update marital status

mdr2020552

Jul 24, 2021
Hello,
I need some help regarding marital status in my Express Entry profile.
I got my PPR (passport request) this week. It is mentioned in the letter that I should update CIC/IRCC in case my marital status has been changed.
What happens if I fail to update them that I got married and just send my passport and photos and fly to Canada after getting the PR visa stamped?
Will it impact my spouse's application in the future in any way (I am planning to sponsor my spouse)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Hello,
I need some help regarding marital status in my Express Entry profile.
I got my PPR (passport request) this week. It is mentioned in the letter that I should update CIC/IRCC in case my marital status has been changed.
What happens if I fail to update them that I got married and just send my passport and photos and fly to Canada after getting the PR visa stamped?
Will it impact my spouse's application in the future in any way (I am planning to sponsor my spouse)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yes, it will impact a future application. Since you are already married, you cannot enter Canada without informing IRCC. You can add your spouse as non-accompanying but there has to be a valid reason for it. If you do enter Canada without informing, the chances of your spouse joining later is limited.

All the best! @mdr2020552

mdr2020552

Jul 24, 2021
Thanks for the response @daveishan
I really appreciate that.

If I inform IRCC about my marriage, the PPR would still be valid or should I not send the passport and wait for further instructions?

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Thanks for the response @daveishan
I really appreciate that.

If I inform IRCC about my marriage, the PPR would still be valid or should I not send the passport and wait for further instructions?
You should not send your passport and wait for instructions. You can do this via webform and then wait for the office to respond to you. They will re-isssue PPR once your spouse has been added to your file.