+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR - Shipping Passport US to Canada!

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Guys,

In regard to shipping my Passport to Ottawa, I have three questions.

1. Does the commercial invoice for the return shipment need to be inside the envelope or on top of the envelope where the shipping label is created?

2. If I choose to get the entire process of shipping and return shipping that includes commercial invoices inclusion, can I get all this done at my local Fedex or UPS instead of doing it myself?

3. Which service is better, Fedex or UPS?

Would appreciate your reply!

Dan

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Guys,

In regard to shipping my Passport to Ottawa, I have three questions.

1. Does the commercial invoice for the return shipment need to be inside the envelope or on top of the envelope where the shipping label is created?

2. If I choose to get the entire process of shipping and return shipping that includes commercial invoices inclusion, can I get all this done at my local Fedex or UPS instead of doing it myself?

3. Which service is better, Fedex or UPS?

Would appreciate your reply!

Dan
Hey I'm in the same boat. Have you sent your passport/copy of the passport?

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I used Fedex Express and can only speak for that.

Direct copy from Fedex's "Return Shipment Instructions": "A signed Commercial Invoice is generally required when shipping items other than documents internationally".

You are shipping documents. Select that option accordingly, declare that what you are sending has no custom value, and you won't need a commercial invoice.

Note that the above applies to Fedex Express only. If you use Fedex Ground, you will need a commercial invoice no matter what you are shipping. (Saw this on Fedex's website while creating the label, but I'm not going back there just to find the exact quote.)

When you print out the label, there will be multiple pages. There is small print on each paper indicating where to put that particular page. Follow those instructions. When I went into the store to drop off the shipment, the staff told me that I needed to include all pages in the pouch.

Others on the forum have reported that Fedex store staff refused to create a return label originating from Canada. To work around this, create a Fedex shipping account, hook it up with your credit card, and create a return label along with your outbound shipping label.

andygill11

May 5, 2018
I used Fedex Express and can only speak for that.

Direct copy from Fedex's "Return Shipment Instructions": "A signed Commercial Invoice is generally required when shipping items other than documents internationally".

You are shipping documents. Select that option accordingly, declare that what you are sending has no custom value, and you won't need a commercial invoice.

Note that the above applies to Fedex Express only. If you use Fedex Ground, you will need a commercial invoice no matter what you are shipping. (Saw this on Fedex's website while creating the label, but I'm not going back there just to find the exact quote.)

When you print out the label, there will be multiple pages. There is small print on each paper indicating where to put that particular page. Follow those instructions. When I went into the store to drop off the shipment, the staff told me that I needed to include all pages in the pouch.

Others on the forum have reported that Fedex store staff refused to create a return label originating from Canada. To work around this, create a Fedex shipping account, hook it up with your credit card, and create a return label along with your outbound shipping label.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation :)
I sent it via FEDEX and included the commercial invoice cause many people on the forum said that it was a problem for them. I did include a return commercial invoice but that has to be signed by the sender and in this case it'll be CPC-O, so I;m just worried if that'll be a a problem or will it be okay

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation :)
I sent it via FEDEX and included the commercial invoice cause many people on the forum said that it was a problem for them. I did include a return commercial invoice but that has to be signed by the sender and in this case it'll be CPC-O, so I;m just worried if that'll be a a problem or will it be okay
Hi Andy,

You should have signed the commercial invoice for the return too, I don't think it is a big deal. Saw a few members talk about it that they didn't sign, so you should not worry about it.

Honestly, this specific process was more complicated than the entire process of applying PR! No instructions given and it was confusing!

Dan

Reactions: andygill11

andygill11

May 5, 2018
Hi Andy,

You should have signed the commercial invoice for the return too, I don't think it is a big deal. Saw a few members talk about it that they didn't sign, so you should not worry about it.

Honestly, this specific process was more complicated than the entire process of applying PR! No instructions given and it was confusing!

Dan
Thanks Dan!
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, it sure was.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Andy,

Dan
When I went through the fedex process for creating a shipping label, it created three different "commercial invoices", do I have to sign all of them or none of them? :|

andygill11

May 5, 2018
If I remember correctly, I did put legal documents as well and on the way back FedEx automatically changed it to personal documents or something. So, I believe you can go ahead with that, doesn't matter much I guess.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
If I remember correctly, I did put legal documents as well and on the way back FedEx automatically changed it to personal documents or something. So, I believe you can go ahead with that, doesn't matter much I guess.
Thanks so you didn't have any issues then with the shipping label for Canada -> US ..?

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi, anyone online? Need help in sending passport from USA to Ottawa office for stamping. Local FedEx does it right? What are the documents required to be sent with the shipment?