+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR request - Main Applicant in Canada, Spouse in Brazil

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
Hello friends,

I'm very happy that I got PPR for me and my dependant today, CEC stream, I have been posting a lot on Canadavisa and glad that everything went fine. I'm an Indian Citizen currently with a Post Graduate Work Permit. My Wife resides in Brazil and she got a spousal work permit 1 month ago.

1) The PPR letter from CIC said to determine if we need to send passports, well even though I'm already in Canada, but being Indian citizen I still need to send my passport right?

2)My wife is from Brazil but I'm not sure but I think they can get eTA, I am not sure if her passport needs to be submitted, please help

3) I did mention in the application that my wife lives in Brazil but even then they requested we submit out passports to Canada VO, I believe its a standard email that they send. the email did say if you are not in Canada then email them which we did but there has been no reply. It has been a week now.

I'm very scared and worried at the same time as we were given 30 days to send passports and the time is running.

4) DoIi wait for them to change her VO and then send my passport or should I at least send mine to my VO and wait for them to change her VO and then send mine?

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
1. Yes.
2. Find out here if she can get an eTA. If yes, then she doesn't need to submit the passport.
3. email them and wait. It takes sometime to get a response. They will send you a PPR for your spouse to submit her passport in Brazil.
4. You can go ahead and send yours with a small explanation letter.
Congrats!
Hello eng.ahamdi,

Thanks for your response, I believe yes she can get an eTA but she already has a valid tourist and a work permit for Canada. Does she still send her passport? And if I don't need to, I already sent them an email requesting them to change her VO to Brazil so she can send her passport from there. I think i complicated this PPR process. :(

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
I checked, it asked if she has visited Canada as a temporary resident in last 10 years, if yes then she can apply for eTA but she doesn't need it as she has a Visa already, Oh God, I think I had to submit her Documents only and not her Passport. I sent email to CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca to change her VO already. Now I don't know what to do, they would have moved her file or what?

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
I believe Brazil is not a visa-exempt country, hence she will need to send her passport. You can wait for other members from Brazil to respond. But in the PPR email they mention that if you are not from a visa-exempt country, you will need to send your passport. Here is a list of visa-exempt countries where Brazil is not one of them.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp

Here is the PPR instructions:
Applicants from visa-required countries:
The ‘Passport Request’ letter instructs the applicant on how to send their valid passport and, if applicable, the valid passports of their accompanying spouse and dependent children.

Hello, That is correct and that is why I emailed them but today, when I scrolled down to visa, required section it said them some Brazilians can get eTA if they fulfill some conditions and the condition was if she stayed here before or had a Permit/Visa in the last 10 years, which she did. So basically she can get an eta for Canada. On those new links that opened up it even said if she is already with a work permit then she doesnt even need eTA. Im Super confused but it seems like she doesnt need to send passport. I might have to send all of this info to Ottawa along with my passport explaining all of this in details.

Visitor89

Star Member
Dec 16, 2016
Just in case, add a photocopy of her passport and visa with other required documents in the PPR email (two photos, etc.) for her.
Yes, i going to explain all of this in a letter and email them that along with my passport, pics etc. I hope it works otherwise she will submit her passport once her VO is changed anyway.

I hope its correct, i wish these emails and process/rules were somewhat easier to understand and not complex