+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR for spouses with different passports

danchavacr

Jul 12, 2017
Hi friends!

I recently received the PPR email and am wondering whether I should send my wife's passport along with mine. She is from a visa-exempt country but I am not (I'm the applicant). The wording in the PPR makes it sound like everyone has to send in their passport if the main applicant is not from a visa-exempt country, but they might simply be assuming that the whole family is from the same country.

Has anyone had experience in a similar situation?

Thanks!

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Hi friends!

I recently received the PPR email and am wondering whether I should send my wife's passport along with mine. She is from a visa-exempt country but I am not (I'm the applicant). The wording in the PPR makes it sound like everyone has to send in their passport if the main applicant is not from a visa-exempt country, but they might simply be assuming that the whole family is from the same country.

Has anyone had experience in a similar situation?

Thanks!
Follow the instructions.

"If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

· Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and one for each accompanying family member.

· Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 12 months from the date of this letter.

· Please note that you cannot use a Diplomatic, Official or Military passport to travel to Canada to become a permanent resident of Canada. You must be in possession of an ordinary passport."

danchavacr

Jul 12, 2017
Follow the instructions.

"If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:

· Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and one for each accompanying family member.

· Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 12 months from the date of this letter.

· Please note that you cannot use a Diplomatic, Official or Military passport to travel to Canada to become a permanent resident of Canada. You must be in possession of an ordinary passport."
clguy,

I appreciate the reply but unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. I'm aware of what the instructions say, the problem is that they are ambiguous and don't really explain whose passports to send when not every family member is a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Common sense tells me that I should submit my passport and just a photocopy of my wife's, but I wanted to confirm in this forum with someone that has been through the same situation.

Thanks

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
clguy,

I appreciate the reply but unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. I'm aware of what the instructions say, the problem is that they are ambiguous and don't really explain whose passports to send when not every family member is a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Common sense tells me that I should submit my passport and just a photocopy of my wife's, but I wanted to confirm in this forum with someone that has been through the same situation.

Thanks
Ambiguous? How so? It clearly tells what you are supposed to do. That piece of instruction is straight forward.

Reactions: danchavacr

danchavacr

Jul 12, 2017
Ambiguous? How so? It clearly tells what you are supposed to do. That piece of instruction is straight forward.
It's clear to me that families from countries that need visa must submit their passports, and families from visa-exempt countries submit photocopies.
What the instructions fail to be clear about is what to do when one family includes both cases. Does the whole family go by the scenario applicable to the main applicant, or does the citizenship of each member determine if they need to send the passport or just a photocopy? Reading the instructions it seems that the former is the case, but it makes no sense to me that my wife has to send her passport when she is from a visa-exempt country.
Thanks!