+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR extension for a planned trip

nila21

Oct 23, 2017
I got an extension of more than 1 month as I had to renew the passports. Before submission you must ensure 12 months validity of passport and min 2 blank pages. My passport is expiring in 2018 so I had to get it renewed. SO i wrote to CIC and I got an extension of more than 30 days. Just write to them. They responsed to me within 15 minutes.

huey9

Aug 3, 2017
Hong Kong
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
19-06-2017
AOR Received.
21-07-2017
Med's Request
28-07-2017
Hi, I already went that route and got an extension of 30 days too. Thank you for your detailed answers.
Hi cc31,

Firstly, congrats. May I ask did you get the reply via CPC as ExpressEntryStarr did, or another way?

huey9

Aug 3, 2017
Hong Kong
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
19-06-2017
AOR Received.
21-07-2017
Med's Request
28-07-2017
I got an extension of more than 1 month as I had to renew the passports. Before submission you must ensure 12 months validity of passport and min 2 blank pages. My passport is expiring in 2018 so I had to get it renewed. SO i wrote to CIC and I got an extension of more than 30 days. Just write to them. They responsed to me within 15 minutes.
Hi nila,

Congrats to you, too! Same question as above: did you contact CPC as ExpressEntryStarr did, or another way? Thanks! :)

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Hi cc31,

Firstly, congrats. May I ask did you get the reply via CPC as ExpressEntryStarr did, or another way?
Yes, I received a reply from CPC-Ottawa i about 4 days. Just state your concern in details with proof. They are pretty understanding in regards to unavoidable circumstances. Most important thing is to let them know of your situation as soon as you know them.

Reactions: huey9

huey9

Aug 3, 2017
Hong Kong
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
19-06-2017
AOR Received.
21-07-2017
Med's Request
28-07-2017
Yes, I received a reply from CPC-Ottawa i about 4 days. Just state your concern in details with proof. They are pretty understanding in regards to unavoidable circumstances. Most important thing is to let them know of your situation as soon as you know them.
Cool, thanks and best of luck!

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
I got my PPR last night (March 29, 2018) and I have a planned travel (and marriage) in the last week of April for a month. Is it advisable to inform the CIC about the plan and request for extension? Any advise otherwise? Thanks much!

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
I got my PPR last night (March 29, 2018) and I have a planned travel (and marriage) in the last week of April for a month. Is it advisable to inform the CIC about the plan and request for extension? Any advise otherwise? Thanks much!
If you don't require passport for the trip and it is domestic, no need to inform CIC.
If your trip is international but you can get your CoPR before your planned trip, it is not necessary to inform CIC.
Otherwise, yes.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
If you don't require passport for the trip and it is domestic, no need to inform CIC.
If your trip is international but you can get your CoPR before your planned trip, it is not necessary to inform CIC.
Otherwise, yes.
Thanks. International travel. I have a little over three weeks until my travel which would be pushing it. I do not want to risk it. If I don't send the passport, I would need at least a 30-day extension.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Thanks. International travel. I have a little over three weeks until my travel which would be pushing it. I do not want to risk it. If I don't send the passport, I would need at least a 30-day extension.
Sure, you can ask them for extension. In some cases, they just ask for passport soon after the trip without giving any definite date.
Just to give you an idea, I got my CoPR back from CPC-Ottawa in about 12 days. I live in Midwest US.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Sure, you can ask them for extension. In some cases, they just ask for passport soon after the trip without giving any definite date.
Just to give you an idea, I got my CoPR back from CPC-Ottawa in about 12 days. I live in Midwest US.
Sure, that is helpful. I reside in Canada so it may be quicker than that but again, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, if I get the extension until the end of my trip and during my trip if my status changes (get married), I can inform them right away and that should be fine correct?

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Sure, that is helpful. I reside in Canada so it may be quicker than that but again, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, if I get the extension until the end of my trip and during my trip if my status changes (get married), I can inform them right away and that should be fine correct?
That opens up a discussion in a whole different realm. Getting married before CoPR may affect your application. Because you applied as a non-married applicant and getting a CoPR for the same. I am unsure if it would safe to tag your would-be spouse in your application before you actually get the CoPR and IM-1 printed on your passport. I would suggest you seek help from experts in this forum. Open up a new thread if required.

And congratulations for the PR approval (I should have said in the first message).

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
That opens up a discussion in a whole different realm. Getting married before CoPR may affect your application. Because you applied as a non-married applicant and getting a CoPR for the same. I am unsure if it would safe to tag your would-be spouse in your application before you actually get the CoPR and IM-1 printed on your passport. I would suggest you seek help from experts in this forum. Open up a new thread if required.

And congratulations for the PR approval (I should have said in the first message).
Thank you, I appreciate that. I did open a new thread earlier today to seek advice. If I get my visa and CoPR and then get married outside of Canada, and inform the CIC about status change, would I be able to return on that very visa? I currently have a multiple-entry work visa which I am assuming would be void when I submit my passport for CoPR?

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Thank you, I appreciate that. I did open a new thread earlier today to seek advice. If I get my visa and CoPR and then get married outside of Canada, and inform the CIC about status change, would I be able to return on that very visa? I currently have a multiple-entry work visa which I am assuming would be void when I submit my passport for CoPR?
Don't quote on me but you will most likely be able to enter but not your spouse immediately as a PR. There is a process that your spouse have to go through before getting a PR approval which can take about a year. If your spouse has some other canada visa, that is a different story but then he/she will have to enter in his/her own capacity.

The IM-1 will mention "one" as the number of person including yourself. That will be your first landing and your PR status will be activated at the port of entry. Generally speaking, I am imagining your work visa will get voided when your PR status is activated as you cannot have work visa and PR status both at the same time.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
Don't quote on me but you will most likely be able to enter but not your spouse immediately as a PR. There is a process that your spouse have to go through before getting a PR approval which can take about a year. If your spouse has some other canada visa, that is a different story but then he/she will have to enter in his/her own capacity.

The IM-1 will mention "one" as the number of person including yourself. That will be your first landing and your PR status will be activated at the port of entry. Generally speaking, I am imagining your work visa will get voided when your PR status is activated as you cannot have work visa and PR status both at the same time.
Thanks. From what I have learned from the forum is that if the status changes after CoPR and before landing, one would not be able to land until the spouse's documents are send/reviewed and both are issued a new PPR/CoPR. I don't know how true it is though!

Thanks for all your comments.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Thanks. From what I have learned from the forum is that if the status changes after CoPR and before landing, one would not be able to land until the spouse's documents are send/reviewed and both are issued a new PPR/CoPR. I don't know how true it is though!

Thanks for all your comments.
Yep, can't determine the what would happen without going through this personally, or hearing from a reliable source or knowing the specific laws pertaining to this situation. Another question here would be if you can enter with your multiple-entry work visa after you get married and w/ or w/o CoPR.