+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PPR and travel question-need advice!

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hi all: received PPR yesterday (yay!) and just a couple questions:

1. Tried searching but couldn't find an answer - out of curiousity, why do they request 2 photos again (same specifications) when these were included with our original application package? What was the point of getting those done? We will obviously do them again to send, but I'm just wondering what the other 2 were for...

2. The letter we received states "If you are currently residing in Canada and you intend to travel by air to another country prior to becoming a permanent resident, you will be required to apply and obtain an eTA prior to boarding."

I'm a bit confused about what to do here. My partner and I are travelling in 5 weeks and I doubt he'll have his PR card by this point. If we have COPR by then, would that be OK to travel with? Also, my partner is currently in Canada on a work permit.. can we still apply for an eTa from within Canada, and will this mess anything up with the work permit? If we do apply for the ETA, will that mess anything up with him getting his COPR?

Thanks.

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Ok, so I just re-read the sentence and it says "If you are currently residing in Canada.... required to obtain eTA" so that answers my question about if he can apply for an eTA from within Canada. Duh. But still confused about what we should be doing in this scenario. Just apply for the eTA? Thanks in advance!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ok, so I just re-read the sentence and it says "If you are currently residing in Canada.... required to obtain eTA" so that answers my question about if he can apply for an eTA from within Canada. Duh. But still confused about what we should be doing in this scenario. Just apply for the eTA? Thanks in advance!
They use the photos for the PR Card.

We never got PPR and never had to submit additional photos, they just used the original ones. Depends on the VO, officer, etc.

If I'm understanding you correctly, with the COPR, you can leave Canada and "land" upon your return with this document. Once you land, your PR card will be sent in the mail. You cannot fly without the PR card once you have landed. Does that make sense?

Reactions: lfindlay

lfindlay

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Ah, okay. That’s annoying about the photos but oh well, not the biggest problem to have!

So we can’t fly without the PR card once we’ve landed.. good to know. Can we fly with COPR before we land and then land upon return to canada? Or is COPR not sufficient and we would need the eTA? We will probably just get eta to be safe. Thank you.

They use the photos for the PR Card.

We never got PPR and never had to submit additional photos, they just used the original ones. Depends on the VO, officer, etc.

If I'm understanding you correctly, with the COPR, you can leave Canada and "land" upon your return with this document. Once you land, your PR card will be sent in the mail. You cannot fly without the PR card once you have landed. Does that make sense?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ah, okay. That’s annoying about the photos but oh well, not the biggest problem to have!

So we can’t fly without the PR card once we’ve landed.. good to know. Can we fly with COPR before we land and then land upon return to canada? Or is COPR not sufficient and we would need the eTA? We will probably just get eta to be safe. Thank you.
Yes, you need the eta. Once you return back to Canada (you have to have the COPR) he will land as a PR.

Reactions: lfindlay