+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Potential US deportation - can he come to Canada??

Jun 22, 2019
Hi all!
My boyfriend’s cousin has been arrested by immigration in the USA...he illegally crossed the border from Mexico 15 years ago and has been living in the USA since then with his wife (who came on a visa) and daughter (who was born in the USA). Currently, he has an ankle bracelet tracker of some kind, and has been ordered to leave the US by Thursday, otherwise he will be deported. He’s Brazilian. Any chance he could apply to come to Canada?? What do you guys think would work for him?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!

Jun 22, 2019
I would imagine if he has been arrested, he would be inadmissible.
Well that’s my concern. He’s not been arrested for any criminal reasons, it’s for his overstay and illegal entry. But I’m worried visitor status to Canada wouldn’t be granted because he obviously can’t show reasons to leave Canada..not sure how to help them

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Ok, and you don’t think there’s an angle we could work because his daughter is an American by birth? Like an H&C type thing?
The fact that he has a tag on and he has illegally overstayed there would prevent him from being accepted for any temporary visa. Having an american daughter doesn't really matter if she is in america. I don't think H & C is an option, but I am not an expert on it. His wife should have tried to sponsor him way before it go to this point (if she is a PR or citizen in the US).

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, and you don’t think there’s an angle we could work because his daughter is an American by birth? Like an H&C type thing?
Canada is not an option for him at this time.

Having an American daughter doesn't give him an H&C case. Also agreed there's zero chance a TRV / tourist visa will be approved given his US immigration history. Same goes for a work permit or study permit - no chance for either of those.

Once he is back in Brazil, he can look into applying to immigrate to Canada through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. Economic immigration is really his only option for coming to Canada.

Note that once he's removed from the US, he will automatically be banned from returning for 10 years.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Just curious if this was part of Trump's immigration raids?
It was announced on Saturday that the raids were being delayed for two weeks, and that they were only going after those that had received final deportation orders back in February.