+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pot

Mysoul78

Jun 30, 2018
Hello...could you please tell me how long usually hearings are postponed. Mine was supposed to take place on October 1. But it got postponed due to limited operations. Now I don't have new hearing date. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The hearing 2 months after your arrival was going to be cancelled they just have to schedule it by law. Your lawyer should have told you that. It could be up to 20 months from your arrival until you get a hearing. Would assume over a year is very likely.

Mysoul78

Jun 30, 2018
The hearing 2 months after your arrival was going to be cancelled they just have to schedule it by law. Your lawyer should have told you that. It could be up to 20 months from your arrival until you get a hearing. Would assume over a year is very likely.
Thank you very much. Also I'm changing mthe location from BC to Alberta, would it possibly affect on the schedule of my hearing??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much. Also I'm changing mthe location from BC to Alberta, would it possibly affect on the schedule of my hearing??
No. It will affect any legal aid and welfare if you are getting any of these services. You also can't get a drivers license as a refugee in Alberta.

Mysoul78

Jun 30, 2018
No. It will affect any legal aid and welfare if you are getting any of these services. You also can't get a drivers license as a refugee in Alberta.
Do you think my hearing can take place earlier in Alberta. What do you mean affect on legal aid and welfare. Yes I get both. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Do you think my hearing can take place earlier in Alberta. What do you mean affect on legal aid and welfare. Yes I get both. Thank you
The refugee process is a federal program which has now become first come first serve. So doesn't matter where you move. Legal aid and welfare are provincial programs so you would have to find a new legal aid lawyer and qualify for welfare in Alberta. You will stop getting welfare when you leave BC but will have to wait until your application gets processed in Alberta.