+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponing Oath only for minors possible?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I received invitation for Oath (Mid-June). My kids (16 years & 13 years) are travelling to India with my spouse in June end. My spouse already got citizenship & Canadian passport. If kids take oath along with me, then it will not be possible to get citizenship certificate, Canadian Passport & Indian visa in such a short time.

Is it possible that I postpone oath only for minors & I take oath now since I am not traveling? Please note that elder one is supposed to take oath along with me, while my younger one will not be attending ceremony.

Thank you in advance.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi,

I received invitation for Oath (Mid-June). My kids (16 years & 13 years) are travelling to India with my spouse in June end. My spouse already got citizenship & Canadian passport. If kids take oath along with me, then it will not be possible to get citizenship certificate, Canadian Passport & Indian visa in such a short time.

Is it possible that I postpone oath only for minors & I take oath now since I am not traveling? Please note that elder one is supposed to take oath along with me, while my younger one will not be attending ceremony.

Thank you in advance.
It would be IRCC's decision whether their oath can be postponed or not; so best to write to them and ask. Personally, given that it has taken so long to come this far, I would have postponed my children's trip unless it was absolutely critical that they travel.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be IRCC's decision whether their oath can be postponed or not; so best to write to them and ask. Personally, given that it has taken so long to come this far, I would have postponed my children's trip unless it was absolutely critical that they travel.
Thanks, will email to them in couple of days.

rajenaga42

Jun 1, 2017
Hi,
I am also in same situation. Did you postpone the oath ? Have you received the reply from IRCC regarding your concern on oath for minors

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, we postponed for all of us. I was planning to take oath for myself but wanted to postpone for my sons.

However, below was reply from IRCC:

It would be best to have all three of you rescheduled together as your child under 13 does not have to take the Oath and becomes a Citizen the same time as you. This may cause issues when he is returning back to Canada as his PR Card would be automatically invalid.

rajenaga42

Jun 1, 2017
Thank you for information. Really appreciate it. Could you please provide IRCC mail-id where we can post the query
Also have a questionin case you are aware, my childeren are 18 and 16 yrs old, when i applied they were minors. Now i am planning to take oath and postpone for my children. Is that possible any idea

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for information. Really appreciate it. Could you please provide IRCC mail-id where we can post the query
Also have a questionin case you are aware, my childeren are 18 and 16 yrs old, when i applied they were minors. Now i am planning to take oath and postpone for my children. Is that possible any idea
Email ID will be location specific. Do you know your office? Else, wait for them to send invite & then you can reply back on same email address.

Confirm with IRCC, but based on their reply to me it seems it is possible for your children to postpone since they need to take oath personally (which was not the case for my 13 yrs old).