+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postpone moving to Canada

Whatsoever

Jul 24, 2016
I have applied to private sponsorship refugee program, as I am citizen of unsafe country. Currently I am living in a country with temporary permit. This country is not accepting refugees (They can ask me to leave anytime).

I found a temporary job but the boss told me that if I accepted the job, then I must complete the period of the project.

I need this job strongly. So I have sent an email to the Canadian embassy, explaining my situation and asking if they can give me an estimation of when I might move to Canada. If it is going to be in few months, then I will reject the job, otherwise I will accept it especially I need the money to live.

My question is that if the embassy later asked me to move to Canada before the job contract ends, then can I ask them to postpone my travel so I would not break the agreement with my employer? What is the maximum delay, I can ask for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have applied to private sponsorship refugee program, as I am citizen of unsafe country. Currently I am living in a country with temporary permit. This country is not accepting refugees (They can ask me to leave anytime).

I found a temporary job but the boss told me that if I accepted the job, then I must complete the period of the project.

I need this job strongly. So I have sent an email to the Canadian embassy, explaining my situation and asking if they can give me an estimation of when I might move to Canada. If it is going to be in few months, then I will reject the job, otherwise I will accept it especially I need the money to live.

My question is that if the embassy later asked me to move to Canada before the job contract ends, then can I ask them to postpone my travel so I would not break the agreement with my employer? What is the maximum delay, I can ask for?
The short answer is unfortunately no. You'll be given a deadline by which you must arrive in Canada and you will need to come to Canada by that deadline (extensions aren't granted).

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. I would expect the deadline would be 1 year after the medical s were completed (as with most immigration visas). It’s highly unlikely IRCC would grant an extension.

Do you have a sponsor yet? Generally, Private sponsorship takes a while to complete. You may be able to determine what sort of timeline you are looking at using the processing time webpage and make a decision based on that.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

Whatsoever

Jul 24, 2016
Agreed. I would expect the deadline would be 1 year after the medical s were completed (as with most immigration visas). It’s highly unlikely IRCC would grant an extension.
Yes I have a sponsor and my application is under process but I did not do the medicals yet. Therefore this part would be OK, as I am not going to postpone that much. In that case, may I postpone for few months without reaching the medical checks deadline?
Unfortunately as I saw in other groups, it is impossible to have an estimation. Some people are getting the visa after two years and some at around three years. I heard that the embassy accept delaying the travel in some cases but nothing is clear about it.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I have a sponsor and my application is under process but I did not do the medicals yet. Therefore this part would be OK, as I am not going to postpone that much. In that case, may I postpone for few months without reaching the medical checks deadline?
Unfortunately as I saw in other groups, it is impossible to have an estimation. Some people are getting the visa after two years and some at around three years. I heard that the embassy accept delaying the travel in some cases but nothing is clear about it.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'postpone for a few months without reaching the medical checks deadline'. When your visa is issued, it will have a date by which you must arrive in Canada. You will not be able to postpone or extend past this date.

Whatsoever

Jul 24, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by 'postpone for a few months without reaching the medical checks deadline'. When your visa is issued, it will have a date by which you must arrive in Canada. You will not be able to postpone or extend past this date.
The process case is different (and I am sure), they will ask me to send the passports and book a flight within two (or three) months. Once I booked the flights, I will send the dates with the passports, so they will print the visa on the passports and will inform IOM to waits for me in the airport.

So if they asked me within a month (for example) to book a flight in two months, then I am planning to ask them to give me more time and I will book the flight after six months (for example). In this case, I will not have a problem with the job. However if they will not accept, then I will reject the job from the first place.