Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Hi guys,

I have received my COPR and will be traveling out of the Canada for a short holiday in two weeks. So when I return back to Toronto Pearson, is there an expectation that I have to land then? I have a valid work permit and temporary resident visa till 2019 so technically I can use that to enter Canada. I will be traveling again after that in a few days again for work so I do not want the hassle of applying for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada. So can I delay the landing until I am reasonable sure that I wont be traveling for 4-6 weeks till I get my PR card to avoid the hassle? Or will immigration see my permanent visa stamp and question me as to why I am not landing procedure?

Obviously I will make sure I land before the expiry date on my permanent resident visa. But I also think it will be 2-3 trips I will avoid landing just because of the PRTD hassle. I dont know what immigration will say - forum searches yielded no answer

Mumbai_Maratha

Mar 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per my knowledge, when you send passport for CoPR all your canada visa's get cancelled.
So ideally for re-entry inside canada you have to use CoPR only.

Work permit is for work related and hence cannot use for re-entry purpose.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
lifein360 said:
Hi guys,

I have received my COPR and will be traveling out of the Canada for a short holiday in two weeks. So when I return back to Toronto Pearson, is there an expectation that I have to land then? I have a valid work permit till 2019 so technically I can use that to enter Canada. I will be traveling again after that in a few days again for work so I do not want the hassle of applying for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada. So can I delay the landing until I am reasonable sure that I wont be traveling for 4-6 weeks till I get my PR card to avoid the hassle? Or will immigration see my permanent visa stamp and question me as to why I am not landing procedure?

Obviously I will make sure I land before the expiry date on my permanent resident visa. But I also think it will be 2-3 trips I will avoid landing just because of the PRTD hassle. I dont know what immigration will say - forum searches yielded no answer
Once you have PR visa stamped, all your previous visas has null and void status. Its same as you have study visa and you have got work visa even though you have visa expiry left but in the system your active visa will be work visa not study visa.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
RiZ92 said:
Once you have PR visa stamped, all your previous visas has null and void status. Its same as you have study visa and you have got work visa even though you have visa expiry left but in the system your active visa will be work visa not study visa.
Oh shoot :(,

Okay, one last question - re-entry into Canada from a private vehicle does not require PRTD right?

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
lifein360 said:

Okay, one last question - re-entry into Canada from a private vehicle does not require PRTD right?
Well, this is one of many shady areas........they said you need PRTD for commercial carriers but they didn't use "only". So, its a risk.
They didn't mention anywhere that you do not need when you are travelling with private vehicle. Its upto Immigration officer then.

They have clearly mentioned that its your responsibility to keep everything valid.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
RiZ92 said:
Well, this is one of many shady areas........they said you need PRTD for commercial carriers but they didn't use "only". So, its a risk.
They didn't mention anywhere that you do not need when you are travelling with private vehicle. Its upto Immigration officer then.

They have clearly mentioned that its your responsibility to keep everything valid.
Wow lol, this is nuts, how does CIC expect people to run around applying for a PRTD everytime they travel. Ridiculous. I still think driving down is OK with COPR only - will confirm with IRCC.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
lifein360 said:
Wow lol, this is nuts, how does CIC expect people to run around applying for a PRTD everytime they travel. Ridiculous. I still think driving down is OK with COPR only - will confirm with IRCC.
Yes Its, better to ask. I would recommend to email them. So if they say you don't need it then you will have proof to show at border. Sometimes on phone there is lack of information operator to operator ;)

alexliu

Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should have asked to extend sending passport when requested.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
alexliu said:
You should have asked to extend sending passport when requested.
Yeah, in hindsight that would have been sensible.

alexliu

Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mumbai_Maratha said:
As per my knowledge, when you send passport for CoPR all your canada visa's get cancelled.
So ideally for re-entry inside canada you have to use CoPR only.

Work permit is for work related and hence cannot use for re-entry purpose.
Do you have official CIC website link regarding to where this knowledge from? No offences just want to confirm about it.

nikhil.bhatia

Oct 12, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2016
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-11-2016
IELTS Request
O-8 (L-9, R-8, S-7, W-7)
File Transfer...
24-11-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-11-2016
Interview........
N.A.
Passport Req..
17-02-17
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2017
LANDED..........
06-03-2017
lifein360 said:

That's right. I traveled last week and crossed border by my car using COPR and the officer asked did you receive your PR card? i said no and then she let me go. Super easy.

alexliu

Jul 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alexliu said:
Do you have official CIC website link regarding to where this knowledge from? No offences just want to confirm about it.
Any update one this? :(

adanac_ati

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
nikhil.bhatia said:
That's right. I traveled last week and crossed border by my car using COPR and the officer asked did you receive your PR card? i said no and then she let me go. Super easy.
Correct. If you enter Canada by land PR card is not mandatory assuming you have other relevant dosc; COPR , Passport etc.

For any other means of transport air, water you need a valid PR card.

I read about an UK citizen who is Canadian PR for 18 yrs was not allowed to board a flight from US to Canada as his PR card was expired. He finally had to enter Canada by land; which was allowed.

prasad_p

Sep 28, 2016
AOR Received.
20-05-2017
Hi guys,

I have received my COPR and will be traveling out of the Canada for a short holiday in two weeks. So when I return back to Toronto Pearson, is there an expectation that I have to land then? I have a valid work permit and temporary resident visa till 2019 so technically I can use that to enter Canada. I will be traveling again after that in a few days again for work so I do not want the hassle of applying for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada. So can I delay the landing until I am reasonable sure that I wont be traveling for 4-6 weeks till I get my PR card to avoid the hassle? Or will immigration see my permanent visa stamp and question me as to why I am not landing procedure?

Hey,
I'm in the same situation now. What did you do?
What information did CIC people give you, if you ever called them?
Also, can we apply for PRTD before PR interview?