+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

postdoc in quebec

Fesal

Aug 25, 2022
Dear All,
I need your guidance, plz.
If I perform postdoc of one year in Quebec province, Can I count that as experience in CEC for Express entry? Even if I don't want to settle in Quebec and not able to learn French?

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards
Fesal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,
I need your guidance, plz.
If I perform postdoc of one year in Quebec province, Can I count that as experience in CEC for Express entry? Even if I don't want to settle in Quebec and not able to learn French?

Looking forward to your responses.

Regards
Fesal
What type of postdoc?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Postdoctoral fellow/researcher
If this is a fellowship in medicine I believe it counts under education. The bigger issue is even if you are allowed to practice medicine as a fellow in Canada you won’t be licensed to practice medicine in Canada if you immigrate. You will need to try to get relicensed. Unless you did your medical training in a few select countries like the US, UK, Australia, South Africa, NZ and Ireland (think that’s all the countries) you’ll need to pass your licensing exams and repeat your residency or do a supervised training in exchange for working in an underserviced community that is only currently available in a few provinces for GPs and there are limited spots. In most specialties it isn’t possible to get relicensed because there are no residency spots available. If you speak French fluently your chances are a bit better but there is very high competition for leftover residency spots and the residency spots leftover are usually the less sought after residencies and locations. Things like GPs, pathology, public health, psychiatry are often the most common residency spots leftover. Canada is one of the most difficult countries to get licensed as an IMG.

Fesal

Aug 25, 2022
If this is a fellowship in medicine I believe it counts under education. The bigger issue is even if you are allowed to practice medicine as a fellow in Canada you won’t be licensed to practice medicine in Canada if you immigrate. You will need to try to get relicensed. Unless you did your medical training in a few select countries like the US, UK, Australia, South Africa, NZ and Ireland (think that’s all the countries) you’ll need to pass your licensing exams and repeat your residency or do a supervised training in exchange for working in an underserviced community that is only currently available in a few provinces for GPs and there are limited spots. In most specialties it isn’t possible to get relicensed because there are no residency spots available. If you speak French fluently your chances are a bit better but there is very high competition for leftover residency spots and the residency spots leftover are usually the less sought after residencies and locations. Things like GPs, pathology, public health, psychiatry are often the most common residency spots leftover. Canada is one of the most difficult countries to get licensed as an IMG.
Thank you for the kind response.

I am from engineering discipline.

My concern was to know that postdoc experience in Quebec is counted towards Cec or not?