+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-test RQ?!?

seldom

May 22, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I just wrote my citizenship test this morning at my local Winnipeg Office after more than 2 years of waiting since I applied for my citizenship back in Feb 2011.

In general, I thought the interview went well, I did well on the test and was happy leaving the local office until I came back home and started reading about people receiving RQs after the citizenship test! I didn't think this was possible?!?

I am panicking thinking that I might receive an RQ in the next few months and have to undergo another 2-4 years of waiting! I have been here since 2005, only travelld twice to the US for 3-4 days each time (back in 2007), never been out of Canada since then. I studied here, been fully employed in professional jobs for the past 4 years, bought a house here (something I made sure to point out to the officer). I thought the interview went very well, it was casual, relaxed and friendly until I started thinking back about it once I came back home. Here are some of my concerns:

1- As the officer was checking my documents, I made sure to confirm that I haven't been out of Canada since 2007. I expected her to check my new passport (issued in 2009 - all blank pages since no travels were made) but she focused instead on the old one, checking every page of it (I travelled a lot prior to 2005 to a number of countries!).

2- Prior to coming to Canada, I lived in the UAE for a couple of years with my family who was there at the time (I was born and lived there for a portion of my life but am no citizen). The officer asked me whether I still had family there, to which I said no. Didn't think much about the question until I came back home and started reading about "ex-Gulfies" being primary targets of RQs!!!

3- She asked how my experience was getting a US visa, given how difficult it is to get one. I explained how it wasn't difficult back in 2007 when I applied for it, but that I did apply for it once more in 2011 and never got it because of background checks taking forever, leading me to cancel my application. I explained how I was looking for jobs in my field at that time (I am an academic) and I had applied for a few in the US, so wanted to have the visa in case I got an interview there. Thinking about this now, I am thinking I might have raised suspicions about my intentions once I get the citizenship, something I obviously didn't mean to as I would never willingly chose to move to the US unless I am in a position where I need to find a job and can't find one in my specific field in Canada! I keep thinking I should have kept my mouth shut and not mention anything about the US, yet at the same time, I feel I was being honest and didn't feel like I had anything to hide or be concerned about!!!

4- at the end of the interview, she pointed and circled the local office address on the test notice, saying that this is the address I need to write to if I needed to get in touch with them or send them any additional documents! Didn't think much of it at the time, but now I am worried it could be an indication of an RQ coming my way!!! :(

I am disappointed, tired and exhausted! 8 years and still counting! Can't imagine having to collect more documents and waiting for a few more years!!! I have avoided travelling abroad intentionally for the last 4-5 years despite wanting to do so many times (taking vacations, going back to my homecountry to visit family, etc...). Sometimes, I feel I live in one big prison cell called Canada that I can't get out of for fear of slowing down my PR - Citizenship application processes. It sometimes can be VERY depressing!

Any thoughts about these points I have raised? Could an RQ be coming my way?!? Is the Winnipeg office known for giving post-test RQs? I wonder whether this is now becoming more common - it would make sense to mail RQs after the test instead of serving those during the test to avoid any drama/ confrontations that might take place right then?!?

Seldom

moti

Oct 24, 2012
do not worry, hope for the best. :) you have already crossed the first and hopefully final step :)

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seldom,

You did no mistakes by being honest, if you were giving any false info or hesitation or trying to cover up that would definitely give RQ for suspicion , you did your job, don't look back, have faith , you can't change anything , we all waiting and I know it feel terrible for not being free.

You will be fine , and you will get the test invitation soon , hope for the best , but also if the worst comes don't panic, accept it , it is not end of the world, it is a matter of time as long as you were honest.

Please let me know what happens.

Cheers

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
Seldom,
you can only tell the truth and only than can you sleep restful!
The interviewers have the advantage that they hear all kind of stories almost every day. They can 'feel' if you try to hide something. If you tell the truth, even if it is a strange one, it is perceived honest in comparison to a 'constructed' story.

Don't worry you are good...

I felt the same after my test day. Although I had knowledge about what was coming in terms of interview I didn't change, hid or added anything to my background. The interviewer made a lot of notes on his sheet to be presented to the judge. If I have to see the judge I don't need to prepare for anything, just repeat what's been said before...

The interviewer went through my old passport as well, side by side. I have a Russian, US and Canada work visa in it -what a contrast- and a stamp from almost every north african country. I told him, that for me, mobility is not a right or freedom but a curse. And that I finally, after 40 years of moving and traveling, want to find a home.

Mike

note

Feb 27, 2013
Send an email to your local MP who can get some info. on behalf of you.

By the way, can you post some test questions. Not all, but some tricky ones you felt. Names and dates were there, weren't they? How many people were there for the test? It seems your interview took a bit long (too many questions to be asked).

Thanks.

ISK

Dec 29, 2012
Do you know if you have to have a valid passport when you go .... my foreign passport has expired after I applied for citizenship, I haven´t renewed it.