+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Oath Ceremony

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
hi all

after taking the oath and any interviews is it possible to leave the country and then go to the consulate to finalize citizenship and obtain passport.

due to on going covid issues i will be spending large amounts of time between england and canada for the foreseeable

plan is to be in canada post 3 months after citizenship test (and hopefully pass) then complete any interviews/oath and return shortly after to england.

any help welcome

thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
hi all

after taking the oath and any interviews is it possible to leave the country and then go to the consulate to finalize citizenship and obtain passport.

due to on going covid issues i will be spending large amounts of time between england and canada for the foreseeable

plan is to be in canada post 3 months after citizenship test (and hopefully pass) then complete any interviews/oath and return shortly after to england.

any help welcome

thanks
Well, there is no guarantee that you'll receive oath invitation in 3 months after the test. The timelines are highly erratic.

Yes, you can leave the country after taking oath but you'll need to wait for your citizenship certificate to arrive before you travel. Generally, IRCC says it can take up to 4 weeks for the certificate to reach you. You can probably request an expedited service for your certificate (tell the clerk at the oath ceremony).

Once you have the citizenship certificate, you can apply for a Canadian passport at a Canadian consulate in the UK. Note that you can't apply for a Canadian passport without the original Citizenship certificate.

Last edited:

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
Surely the consulate would be able to verify that i am a citizen...meaning certificate was a moot point.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Surely the consulate would be able to verify that i am a citizen...meaning certificate was a moot point.
But that's not the procedure. The consulate OR Passport Canada OR Service Canada needs to see the original citizenship certificate in order to accept a passport application.

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
ill explain to the clerk at the oath - i dont see why a certificate should take a month to arrive.

would like to know what people do who would have to leave the country then couldnt get back in....

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
ill explain to the clerk at the oath - i dont see why a certificate should take a month to arrive.

would like to know what people do who would have to leave the country then couldnt get back in....
A month is kind of a worst case scenario, since it’s sent by regular mail by default, so times vary based on the local office vs. where you live.

In those cases, they get their passport processing expedited if their reason to do so is deemed valid. Not sure I’ve heard of a case where a Canadian travel document is issued. But I doubt you’d be able to use your previous foreign passport.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

robb83

Jul 4, 2016
A month is kind of a worst case scenario, since it’s sent by regular mail by default, so times vary based on the local office vs. where you live.

In those cases, they get their passport processing expedited if their reason to do so is deemed valid. Not sure I’ve heard of a case where a Canadian travel document is issued. But I doubt you’d be able to use your previous foreign passport.
I'm keeping my British passport and hopefully getting dual citizenship.

eng2794

May 15, 2015
what if i travel before receving my oath certificate. one of my friend will mail it to me abroad ??

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
I hear that it's possible to pick up the citizenship certificate in person post-Oath ceremony (As in same or next day), but I don't know the exact mechanics behind it. Perhaps someone that has done it can shed some light on it.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
what if i travel before receving my oath certificate. one of my friend will mail it to me abroad ??
I think you can , but the problem would be if it get lost then i believe you cant get a new one especially that you will be stuck outside canada!