Star Member
Jul 13, 2021
Singapore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-07-2022
Hi, I'm moving in this Sep 2023. What are the few things that I should do in the first few weeks and prepare in advance? Here's a list of things I plan to do in no particular order:
1. Get a SIN number
2. Open a bank account
3. Look for a job (I'm currently a senior accountant, but as a newcomer I would be looking for jobs from scratch again. Is it better to start sending out resumes now or should I wait until I land in Canada?)
4. Get a driving license
5. Get a phone number

Please let me know if there're other tips or important things I should do before and after landing. TIA.

Reactions: coolcham

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I'm moving in this Sep 2023. What are the few things that I should do in the first few weeks and prepare in advance? Here's a list of things I plan to do in no particular order:
1. Get a SIN number
2. Open a bank account
3. Look for a job (I'm currently a senior accountant, but as a newcomer I would be looking for jobs from scratch again. Is it better to start sending out resumes now or should I wait until I land in Canada?)
4. Get a driving license
5. Get a phone number

Please let me know if there're other tips or important things I should do before and after landing. TIA.
6) Look for a home and then add furniture

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Apply for provincial healthcare, get on waiting lists for a family doctor (may take years), find a place to live, figure out transportation (public or car), if kids (daycare or school registration)

If you don’t have work authorization then wait until you arrive.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
1. Get a SIN number
2. Open a bank account
4. Get a driving license
5. Get a phone number

2. You can do this from your home country. RBC, Scotia, etc allow you to open accounts from your home country and then activate it by visiting their branch upon landing.
3. I commonly see folks (especially in tech) get virtual phone numbers and add them to their resume, apply to jobs and get offers before landing. You can try that. Or least, you can talk to accountants from your target city/province and get a good idea. September is already towards the end of the year and the job market is usually cold after December hits, so you would want to land with a very good idea of how long it is going to take. Some immigrants (who are accountants too) can provide feedbacks without filters that can be extremely helpful. If I were in your place, I'd start networking right now.
5. You can also get a Fido phone number before landing in Canada too. I don't know if it is excessive to do that, but I do see folks doing that.

What's not there in your list is searching for accommodation. If that's still not sorted, I'll pull resources and friends/family/etc in Canada to see what to expect. You can pay for an Airbnb for a month or so and then figure out housing, or you can find realtors who can help you get an accommodation. There are a few realtors who exclusively work for newcomers, but they are likely to ask you for 4-6 month's rent in advance (very predatory, not legal), but saves you from wasting $4-6k/month on an Airbnb.

Last edited:

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
3. Look for a job (I'm currently a senior accountant, but as a newcomer I would be looking for jobs from scratch again. Is it better to start sending out resumes now or should I wait until I land in Canada?
I applied and interviewed for jobs prior to physically landing, including the job I ultimately took, although they wanted a second in-person interview before decision was made. Hopefully you will not have to start completely from scratch.

Sa3ed

Nov 19, 2022
1. Get a SIN number
2. Open a bank account
4. Get a driving license
5. Get a phone number

What’s your thought about PoF at PoE, I will travel from UAE and I want to avoid cash. I tried the traveller cheque, bank drafts or instruction, but those aren’t available in UAE. I’m confused.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What’s your thought about PoF at PoE, I will travel from UAE and I want to avoid cash. I tried the traveller cheque, bank drafts or instruction, but those aren’t available in UAE. I’m confused.
How about gold and other precious metals? Or wire transfer in US dollars?

Sa3ed

Nov 19, 2022
This is what I found. Seems only specific methods are allowed, and unfortunately none of them is available in UAE except cash:-
form of cash, bank drafts, money orders, travellers’ cheques, stocks, bonds, treasury bills, or debentures.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is what I found. Seems only specific methods are allowed, and unfortunately none of them is available in UAE except cash:-
form of cash, bank drafts, money orders, travellers’ cheques, stocks, bonds, treasury bills, or debentures.
How about buy gold in UAE with cash, bring gold bars with you and sell gold in Canada? No jewelry shops or banks selling gold in UAE?

Sa3ed

Nov 19, 2022
My dear am talking about showing proof of fund at the time of landing. Port of entry

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My dear am talking about showing proof of fund at the time of landing. Port of entry
Yes I know. You said none of the others are available in UAE. But you did not say whether gold is available. Gold is easily cashable in Canada and can show as POF.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I tried online, but seems impossible to open bank account for new comers online.
I very recently opened four different accounts within a week. It is possible. Try Scotia, you can open an account in 5 minutes and can transfer upto $50k (can only make one transfer).

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
I tried online, but seems impossible to open bank account for new comers online.
That's right, it may be difficult to open a bank account for newcomers online in Canada. You will need to visit a bank branch in person to open a bank account. This is because banks need to verify your identity and immigration status in person.

Here are some banks that offer bank accounts for newcomers in Canada:
  • RBC:RBC offers the RBC Newcomer Banking Package, which includes a chequing account, savings account, and credit card.

• TD:TD offers the TD New to Canada Banking Package, which includes a chequing account, savings account, and credit card.

• CIBC:CIBC offers the CIBC Newcomer Banking Package, which includes a chequing account, savings account, and credit card.

• BMO:BMO offers the BMO NewStart Banking Package, which includes a chequing account, savings account, and credit card.
When you visit a bank branch to open a bank account, you will need to bring the following documents:
  • Your passport.
  • Your immigration documents.
  • Proof of address. This could be a utility bill, a lease agreement, or a letter from your employer.
  • A void cheque. This is a cheque that has been cancelled by the bank.
The bank will also ask you to complete a few forms, including a Know Your Customer (KYC) form. This form is used to verify your identity and immigration status.

Once you have opened a bank account, you will be able to access your money through ATMs, online banking, and mobile banking. You will also be able to write cheques and make deposits.

I hope this helps!