+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post ITA Work Experience Questions

Gauzdx

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Please bear with me as I try to explain the situation - So I got the ITA recently but I made a mistake when entering the work details. I only entered jobs that were my primary NOC jobs (2171) in the work experience section. Below they are (all Canadian experience jobs):
  1. Job X - NOC 2171 (Feb 2019 to October 2019) [Entered duration wrong]
  2. Job Y - NOC 2171 (October 2019 - Present)
I should have entered all my job details and should have entered this below which is accurate:
  1. Job A - NOC 6551 (Feb 2015 - March 2015)
  2. Job B - NOC 6523 (May 2017 - October 2017)
  3. Job C - NOC 6211 (October 2017 - December 2017)
  4. Job X - NOC 2171 (February 2018 - December 2018)
  5. Job X - NOC 2171 (January 2019 - February 2019) [Worked as contractor for a month, self employed]
  6. Job D - NOC 2282 (August 2019 - November 2019) [Worked as contractor, self-employed]
  7. Job Y - NOC 2171 (October 2019 - Present)
So based on the profile I had set up, the CRS score came out to be 443 which I think equates to 2 years of experience. So the questions I have is:
  1. If company X gives me letter saying I worked for the above 11 months as salaried and 1 month as contractor can I use that 11 month as experience as I am guessing 1 month as contractor won't work?
  2. Based on the experience above and if I mark 2171 as my primary NOC, how much years of experience will I be getting in total after this revised work experience list? Will I still have that 443 points or I will my CRS points drop down? Can I still accept this invitation or its better to decline and edit the work experience I entered? I don't want to risk it.
  3. Once I submit the whole e-APR, would I have to get work experience proof from company only X and Y or from all companies (A,B,C,D,X,Y)?
  4. In terms of work experience proof from company X and Y, will experience letter, pay stubs, and T4 work as proof? I only have pay stubs from the other A,B,C,D companies and I am not claiming any points for it.
  5. I am already a Paper based PNP applicant and I have been waiting for a decision from the CIC since 2019. It is taking too long to process my application and after contacting numerous times I didn't get any concrete answers from them why the application is stalled for so long and because of this, I want to know if I file for EE, will it affect me in anyway?
  6. If I claim one year of experience by putting in Job Y as my only experience my points comes down to 418 which is still above the cut-off mark. Is it safe to do so? It will be hard to explain in LOE why I am dropping company X from my experience.
Thank you very much for taking time to read this and for providing your valuable feedback and suggestions.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
1. Why do you consider your work as a contractor as self-employment? What were the circumstances? It sounds more to me like you were employed on a contract basis then employed permanently, in which case your work experience as a contractor would be qualifying work experience for CEC. But need more information to provide a more informed opinion.
2. Need some clarification on that to determine whether you were self-employed or not.
3. You only need work references for the work experience which provides points or which fulfills the criteria for qualifying for the program you're applying for in accordance with the selection criteria or points system.
4. Yes that'll suffice.
5. You would need to withdraw your paper-based application before you apply for EE, you can't have two PR applications in process simultaneously.
6. That's fine, you would still list it for the sake of providing a complete application, but you wouldn't claim points for it. As long as you're above the cut-off score, you're fine.

Last edited:

Gauzdx

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
@Islander216 I considered as self-employment because I did not set up a company or anything and wasn't issued a T4 for it. Also, I was made a contractor after 11 months of salaried job. I don't know much specifics but I filed my taxes for those two jobs. Does this give you an idea about my case?

For the 5th point, I am reading online that people can submit two application and whichever gets approved first you can withdraw the second one. Not sure about this thing.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Something a bit strange with why they would employ you for 11 months then make you a contractor, or take you a contract basis for the first month then make you salaried for 11 months. You mean to tell me your T4 did not include those months as a contractor? How did you get the job? Through an agency or by providing your services as a consultant?

This may be the case with paper based applications and EE, i.e. withdraw the second application once the first one is approved.

Last edited:

Gauzdx

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
@Islander216 company wasn't doing well so instead of keeping me as an employee they offered me a contractor role and I provided my service as a consultant and only for a month. Its not the other way round where I worked as contractor for 1 month and then was made employee for 11 month.

I am not sure how I can explain this better and if its worth the hassle of putting this in work experience as its only 1 month. CRS score won't drop down I think but if I omit this, I am not sure what I should fill in the personal section where I have to explain what I was doing in this 1 month..

Please guide what I should do as I am lost..

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I don't think this should be an issue, if they are willing to give you a work reference to certify your work experience for the 1 month you worked as a contractor as well, then just include it with your work reference. If you qualify for the cut-off even with the this month being omitted from your work experience calculation it's not an issue.