20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Hi,

Having received ITA in the last draw, I am completing the online PR application. I am now at the section regarding Travel History. This is the part where we need to:

'Provide details of any trips XXX has taken outside his/her country of origin or of residence in the last ten years (or since his/her 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training, etc.'

I am a little confused here. My country of origin is China. I studied in Singapore and the USA, and right now I am working in Singapore (which is presumably my current country of residence).

Questions:

1. Does 'trip' imply short-duration stays, excluding long stays, for example, those made for studies and employment purposes? In other words, do I have to mention the trips I made to begin my studies in Singapore, the USA, and the trip I made to begin working in Singapore?

2. Assuming I have to list such trips in this section, can I just list the first date of entry, and the final date of return? Or, am I expected to list all the small trips I made within that overall study period too (e.g., vacation trips back to country of origin)?

Perhaps a concrete example would be helpful: Suppose I traveled from China to the USA in 2006 to begin my education program, and finished the program in 2010. I went back to China in 2007, 2008, and 2009 for vacation purposes:

Do I list my US trip (which is outside my Country of Origin) as:
a: '2006 - 2010' (that is, one overall 'trip')
or
b: '2006 - 2007, 2007 - 2008, 2008 - 2009, 2009 -2010'? (that is, 4 separate trips)

Thanks

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
ybjianada said:
Hi,

Having received ITA in the last draw, I am completing the online PR application. I am now at the section regarding Travel History. This is the part where we need to:

'Provide details of any trips XXX has taken outside his/her country of origin or of residence in the last ten years (or since his/her 18th birthday if this was less than ten years ago). Include all trips: tourism, business, training, etc.'

I am a little confused here. My country of origin is China. I studied in Singapore and the USA, and right now I am working in Singapore (which is presumably my current country of residence).

Questions:

1. Does 'trip' imply short-duration stays, excluding long stays, for example, those made for studies and employment purposes? In other words, do I have to mention the trips I made to begin my studies in Singapore, the USA, and the trip I made to begin working in Singapore?

Let me put it this way...It is deemed as a 'Travel' be it a short or long, far or close, anytime your passport has been stamped by the immigration authorities of some country.

2. Assuming I have to list such trips in this section, can I just list the first date of entry, and the final date of return? Or, am I expected to list all the small trips I made within that overall study period too (e.g., vacation trips back to country of origin)?

As said above the passport stamp days for each 'Travel' as defined above should suffice.

Perhaps a concrete example would be helpful: Suppose I traveled from China to the USA in 2006 to begin my education program, and finished the program in 2010. I went back to China in 2007, 2008, and 2009 for vacation purposes:

Do I list my US trip (which is outside my Country of Origin) as:
a: '2006 - 2010' (that is, one overall 'trip')
or
b: '2006 - 2007, 2007 - 2008, 2008 - 2009, 2009 -2010'? (that is, 4 separate trips)

'b' would be the correct way
Thanks
While i think you already have got the hang of the issue...and mostly your assumptions are right...

Please see my exact answers to each question above...

Hope they help clarify...

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My understanding is that when you were in Singapore and USA for studies, and Singapore for work, these were your countries of residence, i.e. you would have shown your home address in these countries during these periods under "Address History". Therefore, you wouldn't need to show the trips you made between your country of origin and country of residence during this time. Hope to hear opinions.

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ufa6174 said:
My understanding is that when you were in Singapore and USA for studies, and Singapore for work, these were your countries of residence, i.e. you would have shown your home address in these countries during these periods under "Address History". Therefore, you wouldn't need to show the trips you made between your country of origin and country of residence during this time. Hope to hear opinions.
I went home for a short trip (1 month) during my stay in Canada. I forgot to include this trip in application. Then I decided to inform them later through CSE and fax. just mention all in details, so that every stamp on passport is explained

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wildemam said:
I went home for a short trip (1 month) during my stay in Canada. I forgot to include this trip in application. Then I decided to inform them later through CSE and fax. just mention all in details, so that every stamp on passport is explained
But they don't see your passport stamps at all.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Ufa6174 said:
But they don't see your passport stamps at all.
Even if they don't see, better to declare now, than be caught later. They keep records of what you tell them!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
wildemam said:
Yes, i agree with this and @One_Topsy's logic.
Try to ensure that your Form data explains every passport stampings that may be there (in case you need to in future). Even though they don't see passport stamps, but i believe you should have an explanation under your travel history for each stamp that may be there.

Other than your passport stamps and what you declare in the Form, they have no other place to check & verify your travel details. So in case they feel the need to check it that is their only source, so try to ensure that you have an answer to each stamp on your form.

Any other travel i guess they don't care...

thats my take on this...

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
wildemam said:
@wildemam Thanks for your response. Let's suppose you are from India and were studying in Canada from July 2006 to July 2008. And the 1-month trip home you made was from July 2007 to Aug 2007. I agree that the trip(s) need to be mentioned and every stamp accounted for. The question that is baffling me is how to list the trips – do you list those as trips away from India (to Canada), or away from Canada (to India) –– a matter of perspective, that is.

The matter would be straightforward if the trips were made to a 3rd destination, for short tourism or business purposes. But when it is between your country of origin and country of residence, there are complications regarding perspective.

So, back to the example I gave here, would you list the trips as the following
Method 1 (Break down your 2-year Canadian study as 2 trips away from India to Canada) :
a. From July 2006 To July 2007
Country of Visit: Canada
Purpose: study

b. From August 2007 to July 2008
Purpose: continue study program

or perhaps as Method 2 (List the whole Canadian study as 1 trip, but mention the trip home as Trip to India)
a. From July 2006 to July 2008

b From July 2007 to August 2007
Country of Visit: India
Purpose: visit family (for example)

How would one do it? That was essentially my puzzle.

@CanadaWeCome seems to think that it ought to be the first Method (frame the entire thing as separate trips away form Home). The merit in that approach is to consistently list trips as away from your Country of Origin (which is what the Instructions seem to be asking for).

But the Merit of Method 2 is that it would make more sense to treat the entire study as 1 single experience (and therefore do not break it down to different components), and list the trip home separately. But the question then is: If the trip were back to your Country of Origin, it does not seem necessary to mention them (given the Instructions)

Any input from anyone??? I am having a headache ...

CanadaWeCome said:
Yes, i agree with this and @One_Topsy's logic.
Try to ensure that your Form data explains every passport stampings that may be there (in case you need to in future). Even though they don't see passport stamps, but i believe you should have an explanation under your travel history for each stamp that may be there.

Other than your passport stamps and what you declare in the Form, they have no other place to check & verify your travel details. So in case they feel the need to check it that is their only source, so try to ensure that you have an answer to each stamp on your form.

Any other travel i guess they don't care...

thats my take on this...

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
ybjianada said:
@wildemam Thanks for your response. Let's suppose you are from India and were studying in Canada from July 2006 to July 2008. And the 1-month trip home you made was from July 2007 to Aug 2007. I agree that the trip(s) need to be mentioned and every stamp accounted for. The question that is baffling me is how to list the trips – do you list those as trips away from India (to Canada), or away from Canada (to India) –– a matter of perspective, that is.

The matter would be straightforward if the trips were made to a 3rd destination, for short tourism or business purposes. But when it is between your country of origin and country of residence, there are complications regarding perspective.

Method 1 (Break down your 2-year Canadian study as 2 trips away from India to Canada) :

or perhaps as Method 2 (List the whole Canadian study as 1 trip, but mention the trip home as Trip to India)

@CanadaWeCome seems to think that it ought to be the first Method (frame the entire thing as separate trips away form Home). The merit in that approach is to consistently list trips as away from your Country of Origin (which is what the Instructions seem to be asking for).

But the Merit of Method 2 is that it would make more sense to treat the entire study as 1 single experience (and therefore do not break it down to different components), and list the trip home separately. But the question then is: If the trip were back to your Country of Origin, it does not seem necessary to mention them (given the Instructions)

Any input from anyone??? I am having a headache ... [Correction] "You have a headache." else I may ask you how does it taste? ;)
A very detailed research there on!!

My view is whatever approach you adopt, keep it simple as long as you convey the truth about your whereabouts in the last 10 years (or 18th birthday on-wards whichever is later) and don't leave any stamp on the PP unexplained (other than that CIC may not bother). My approach would be what i already explained earlier since the requester (CIC Form here) seems to ask for that.

By the way where (which country) are you currently applying (filling the CIC Form) from? Singapore if i recall correctly...
So to answer your point on 'perspective' that country at this point in time becomes the frame of reference, so all travel vectors should (ideally) reference that as point of origin for now.

If that floats your boat...

All the best...

NeelaR

Star Member
May 22, 2015
My spouse has over 3 pages (A4 size) of travel history. He sat down and noted dates of every trip taken by seeing the stamps made at immigration. now the problem is, i dont have space to add soooo many rows in Travel history. What to do?? Should I start from the most recent and skip the ones that are 9 years old? ? Please help.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
NeelaR said:
My spouse has over 3 pages (A4 size) of travel history. He sat down and noted dates of every trip taken by seeing the stamps made at immigration. now the problem is, i dont have space to add soooo many rows in Travel history. What to do?? Should I start from the most recent and skip the ones that are 9 years old? ? Please help.
For a start...you may skip any travel beyond 10yrs or his 18th birthday whichever is later.

Please attach all the travel details in a similar format/template (as in the FORM) in an additional sheet of paper (A4 size) and use an LoE and a cover letter to explain this additional attachment. Take a scan (PDF) of all these and attach (upload) within the application at the appropriate placeholder.

Hope this helps!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
CanadaWeCome said:
A very detailed research there on!!

My view is whatever approach you adopt, keep it simple as long as you convey the truth about your whereabouts in the last 10 years (or 18th birthday on-wards whichever is later) and don't leave any stamp on the PP unexplained (other than that CIC may not bother). My approach would be what i already explained earlier since the requester (CIC Form here) seems to ask for that.

By the way where (which country) are you currently applying (filling the CIC Form) from? Singapore if i recall correctly...
So to answer your point on 'perspective' that country at this point in time becomes the frame of reference, so all travel vectors should (ideally) reference that as point of origin for now.

If that floats your boat...

All the best...
Another perspective on the same topic (especially for those who have different countries 1. of Residence and another
2. of Origin).
What I realised today while reading this forum is while filling the travel history part of the form (eAPR) we all must keep in mind the PCCs that we have obtained from these two countries.

Ground rules being...
1. PCC from country of residence cannot be >6months old (at the time of filing eAPR)
2. PCC from the country of Origin can be anytime (irrespective of before of after ITA) and is valid indefinetely (unless you go and stay there for >6months for whatever reason)

Now the pertinent questions are
"What should be the address (of correspondence) in the FORM?"
Will it be Country of Residence or Origin?
(Assuming you often shuttle between these two countries off and on for business or pleasure)

The answer to both the above questions depends on your PCC and must be looked in the light of what is the date of issue of these PCCs.
Because what i understand from my limited experience and knowledge from this forum & CIC website is that all VOs look at the PCCs w.r.t. what & how we have filled our travel history section and the current address we have provided in the FORM.

If they find a discrepancy between these that violates any of their rule they definitely tend to cancel those applications.

If @Asivad or any another seniors with (successful) experience on such scenarios can shed some light and information we all can benefit from it.

JK_CAD

Jul 10, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-Jul-2015
Doc's Request.
10-Sep-2015 (Chest X-Ray)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
31-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
16-Jan-2016
ybjianada said:

Any input from anyone??? I am having a headache ...
I would be as descriptive as possible and will do it like below:

b. July 2007 to August 2007

c. From August 2007 to July 2008

leonht

Star Member
Mar 31, 2015
How about taking the country of residence (which we mentioned in address history) to be the origin of travel?

jazzyapd

Star Member
Jan 20, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,
Is this detailed travel history required for the principal applicant as well as the spouse included on the application? I am nowhere near this stage in my application (still working on my EE profile, just asking in advance.