+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post ITA: Legal Name Change Doc.

Septeracore

Sep 21, 2019
Hello,
My previous passport had my name as:
Last Name:
First Name: ABC XYZ

In my family, we use father's name along with our first name, and I am guessing whenever my first passport was made (I was in school back then), my father's name was attached to my first name as it is not my surname/family name.

When I updated my passport, I changed it to:
Last Name: XYZ
First Name: ABC

I made this change as it was becoming a pain to fill up all the various forms (other than the PR ones) with the mandatory last names. Plus as I understood, last name is not the same as surname. Anyway, now I mentioned my previous name as per passport in the post ITA application form. When it generated the document checklist, it is asking me for a Legal Name Change Document (You must provide information on the use of this other name such as a letter of explanation, legal documents of a name change, etc).

My PCC from Australia mentions both the names (as per current and previous passport), so I don't think I can avoid declaring the former name.

Can I just submit copies of my previous and current passport and explain the father name, surname thing (albeit in a bit more detail) in a letter? Or do I need to get an affidavit, publish the name change in the newspaper, etc. and then submit as proof.

Thanks in advance