+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post ITA - Express Entry application timeline with medical history

Kathmandu23

Dec 15, 2017
Hello all
I've used this forum so many times since I decided to apply for Canada PR via Express Entry under FSW. Now that my application have finally been approved, I thought I'd put my application's timeline up with all the hurdles I faced so that it would help someone else the same way it had helped me. Since I applied on my own and from abroad, I hope this might help people from similar situation.

Updating new IELTS results
I took two IELTS exams and when I tried to update the second one's results, my first profile was deemed invalid. I panicked and then realised that I had to now create a new profile. However, in the new profile, I still had to add my old IELTS's reference number. Just thought I'd add it in.

Timeline
I received my ITA in mid-April 2017 and submitted my application by second week of May 2017. The issues that I faced here was that CIC website can be a pain and does not save some info in certain pages. So I found myself going back and filling the same form time and again. Anyway, it took me good 3-4 hours to be done with it. So I'd suggest taking a day off from work so that you don't have to rush.

Submitting the application
I'd suggest to collect few documents beforehand. I've listed some examples below.

Police report(s) - If you had lived abroad, getting it might take longer than you think. I lived in England for more than 6 months so needed Police Report from there. It takes quite a bit of time to get it with standard price unless you're willing to fork out extra to speed up the process. I did the latter one but avoided high international delivery charges by getting it posted to local address.

Work experiences letters - Collect them from your employers if you have had multiple jobs like I did. The key thing is the job description / roles needs to be listed which should match with your NOC. It's crucial you follows instructions on what's needed in the letter. Your application page tells you exactly what you needed in these letters - job roles, job position, duration of the employment, employers details etc. I made them all myself so the content of the letters were alright. However, one the them didn’t sign for a week! So if you have past employers, get them signed asap.

Bank statements - You need to show bank balance of $12,300 (current year) for the last 6 months with daily balance of that amount. It doesn't matter how many bank accounts it is divided into. The total counts. I also added bank balance certificates from the banks.

I had about 7k in Fixed Deposit and rest in Savings Account if it matters. Banks normally don't care or know what info you need. So you need to persuade them to do so.

Most of the infos of what you need in the documents are provided in CIC'S website.

Standard medical check up
This is where I struggled a lot as not a lot of people face this issue. As a part of the application, I had to do upfront medical check up before submitting my application. I had Lymphnode Tuberculosis 5 years ago which has since been treated. When I went for my medical check up, which was very basis, I had a dilemma if I should write it down or not in the form since I do not have an active TB. Anyway, I spoke to the doctor at the medical centre and disclosed my medical history in the form. She wasn't helpful and asked me to get a letter from my doctor detailing my history. My medication was done four years ago so I didn't know how I could get the doctor of a public hospital to remember me and help me with it. Thankfully, I had seen the same doctor couple of times after that for my allergies so he remembered me. He was nice enough to sit down with me to write a letter detailing my TB history as per my medication report which I had saved. I'm from Nepal so there no database recording the patient's history. I guess some fancy hospital does that now. After I submitted the letter, the medical clinic uploaded all the results and my letter to CIC from there end. After they did that, they gave me a letter that I had to upload with my application.

CIC posted the letter to my home address whilst I have given them my PO Box address as my mailing one. How the post arrived to my house is a mystery to me.

Specific medical check up
One day I received a post in mid-June asking me to do further tests - Sputum test and high definition CT scan of my chest. This letter was dated late April 2017. It was generated couple of days after my first medical check up was uploaded to CIC by the medical clinic. However, the letter gave me 30 days to comply with the tests or my application would be rejected. So, I made a complain to Delhi Visa section (that's where our application gets processed) that I received the letter late and there was no update in my CIC account which suggested I should have the tests. I contacted the medical clinic who told me I have been asked to do those tests and I went the very next day to do them. Sputum test results takes 6 weeks to come! After the results came out, I had to do the CT scan which said that the patches in my lungs were from previous illness. All the results were then given to the original medical clinic who uploaded them to CIC, which we do not have the access to. Just to add, I never got a response from the Delhi embassy about my complain. However, couple of days after the medical results were uploaded, my CIC was updated to 'you passed the medical exam'. That was mid-August 2017.

Moral of the story
- If you don't see the Medical Exam's status changed in your CIC account in a week or so after the medical tests are done, call the medical centre to ask if they have received any instructions for you to have additional tests. They can check via your IME/UCI but they won't contact you on their own as they don't get notifications as such.

Request for passport
I received this on 16 Nov in an email which is way better than in post. I posted it on 20 Nov. I had to take a new photo since it had been 6 months since I took the last one for the application. One of the photo had to be stamped with the photographer's details along with my name and DOB.
The passport has to be submitted via VFS which charges less than $30 for the courier to Delhi embassy from Kathmandu.
My application got approved on 5 December and my CIC also got updated on the day. The passport also got stamped with one way visa and dispatched from the embassy on the same day. I collected my passport from VFS on 8 December. In addition to the passport, I also received Confirmation of Permanent Resident, a letter asking me to do a medical check up within 30 days of landing and list of contact numbers for it in all provinces.

Post-landing medical check up
I haven't landed in the country yet so any input regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I understand that once landed, I have to contact the number provided to me to schedule an appointment to do a medical check up. I'm not sure how much the fees would be since I read somewhere that the universal healthcare doesn't kick in until after 3 months of residency in most of the province.

I didn’t intend to make it this long but I’m just writing down my experience. I hope this is helpful.

venki888

Jan 20, 2015
Man thank you for the detailed post. Sorry but I am still in the approval process so can't answer your question

Suraj89

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16 02 2018
AOR Received.
16 02 2018
Med's Done....
10 02 2018
Passport Req..
28 03 2018
VISA ISSUED...
03 04 2018
Hello all
I've used this forum so many times since I decided to apply for Canada PR via Express Entry under FSW. Now that my application have finally been approved, I thought I'd put my application's timeline up with all the hurdles I faced so that it would help someone else the same way it had helped me. Since I applied on my own and from abroad, I hope this might help people from similar situation.

I took two IELTS exams and when I tried to update the second one's results, my first profile was deemed invalid. I panicked and then realised that I had to now create a new profile. However, in the new profile, I still had to add my old IELTS's reference number. Just thought I'd add it in.

Timeline
I received my ITA in mid-April 2017 and submitted my application by second week of May 2017. The issues that I faced here was that CIC website can be a pain and does not save some info in certain pages. So I found myself going back and filling the same form time and again. Anyway, it took me good 3-4 hours to be done with it. So I'd suggest taking a day off from work so that you don't have to rush.

I'd suggest to collect few documents beforehand. I've listed some examples below.

Police report(s) - If you had lived abroad, getting it might take longer than you think. I lived in England for more than 6 months so needed Police Report from there. It takes quite a bit of time to get it with standard price unless you're willing to fork out extra to speed up the process. I did the latter one but avoided high international delivery charges by getting it posted to local address.

Work experiences letters - Collect them from your employers if you have had multiple jobs like I did. The key thing is the job description / roles needs to be listed which should match with your NOC. It's crucial you follows instructions on what's needed in the letter. Your application page tells you exactly what you needed in these letters - job roles, job position, duration of the employment, employers details etc. I made them all myself so the content of the letters were alright. However, one the them didn’t sign for a week! So if you have past employers, get them signed asap.

Bank statements - You need to show bank balance of $12,300 (current year) for the last 6 months with daily balance of that amount. It doesn't matter how many bank accounts it is divided into. The total counts. I also added bank balance certificates from the banks.

I had about 7k in Fixed Deposit and rest in Savings Account if it matters. Banks normally don't care or know what info you need. So you need to persuade them to do so.

Most of the infos of what you need in the documents are provided in CIC'S website.

This is where I struggled a lot as not a lot of people face this issue. As a part of the application, I had to do upfront medical check up before submitting my application. I had Lymphnode Tuberculosis 5 years ago which has since been treated. When I went for my medical check up, which was very basis, I had a dilemma if I should write it down or not in the form since I do not have an active TB. Anyway, I spoke to the doctor at the medical centre and disclosed my medical history in the form. She wasn't helpful and asked me to get a letter from my doctor detailing my history. My medication was done four years ago so I didn't know how I could get the doctor of a public hospital to remember me and help me with it. Thankfully, I had seen the same doctor couple of times after that for my allergies so he remembered me. He was nice enough to sit down with me to write a letter detailing my TB history as per my medication report which I had saved. I'm from Nepal so there no database recording the patient's history. I guess some fancy hospital does that now. After I submitted the letter, the medical clinic uploaded all the results and my letter to CIC from there end. After they did that, they gave me a letter that I had to upload with my application.

CIC posted the letter to my home address whilst I have given them my PO Box address as my mailing one. How the post arrived to my house is a mystery to me.

One day I received a post in mid-June asking me to do further tests - Sputum test and high definition CT scan of my chest. This letter was dated late April 2017. It was generated couple of days after my first medical check up was uploaded to CIC by the medical clinic. However, the letter gave me 30 days to comply with the tests or my application would be rejected. So, I made a complain to Delhi Visa section (that's where our application gets processed) that I received the letter late and there was no update in my CIC account which suggested I should have the tests. I contacted the medical clinic who told me I have been asked to do those tests and I went the very next day to do them. Sputum test results takes 6 weeks to come! After the results came out, I had to do the CT scan which said that the patches in my lungs were from previous illness. All the results were then given to the original medical clinic who uploaded them to CIC, which we do not have the access to. Just to add, I never got a response from the Delhi embassy about my complain. However, couple of days after the medical results were uploaded, my CIC was updated to 'you passed the medical exam'. That was mid-August 2017.

Moral of the story
- If you don't see the Medical Exam's status changed in your CIC account in a week or so after the medical tests are done, call the medical centre to ask if they have received any instructions for you to have additional tests. They can check via your IME/UCI but they won't contact you on their own as they don't get notifications as such.

Request for passport
I received this on 16 Nov in an email which is way better than in post. I posted it on 20 Nov. I had to take a new photo since it had been 6 months since I took the last one for the application. One of the photo had to be stamped with the photographer's details along with my name and DOB.
The passport has to be submitted via VFS which charges less than $30 for the courier to Delhi embassy from Kathmandu.
My application got approved on 5 December and my CIC also got updated on the day. The passport also got stamped with one way visa and dispatched from the embassy on the same day. I collected my passport from VFS on 8 December. In addition to the passport, I also received Confirmation of Permanent Resident, a letter asking me to do a medical check up within 30 days of landing and list of contact numbers for it in all provinces.

I haven't landed in the country yet so any input regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I understand that once landed, I have to contact the number provided to me to schedule an appointment to do a medical check up. I'm not sure how much the fees would be since I read somewhere that the universal healthcare doesn't kick in until after 3 months of residency in most of the province.

I didn’t intend to make it this long but I’m just writing down my experience. I hope this is helpful.
First of all congratulations for your PR brother.
If CIC have asked you to do a medical then you can make an appointment with any Doctor who is registered under CIC. I cam't tell you exact how much you have to pay for it but i paid 240 Dollars for my Medical fee, 200 is the Doctor standard fee and 40 for Chest Xray. If they would ask you to do any furthur tests ot would be add up bit i don't think it will be more than 300 CAD.
Hope it helps!

Sharmamonika

Jul 26, 2018
Hello there
Hello all

Timeline

Moral of the story

Request for passport

Hi,
Your post is indeed a great help. Much thankful to you. It made me be aware about the path ahead. Me too had suffered from TB 15 years back and am very anxious about my medical test soon.
I wanted to know that when I would go for my medical test and inform the doctors about my history of TB, will they take sputum test on that very day along with x ray or they would only take x ray and call me again later for sputum test?

Basically I wish to know can there be any way to fasten up this process of sputum test?
Thanks again.

Kathmandu23

Dec 15, 2017
Hello there

Hi,
Your post is indeed a great help. Much thankful to you. It made me be aware about the path ahead. Me too had suffered from TB 15 years back and am very anxious about my medical test soon.
I wanted to know that when I would go for my medical test and inform the doctors about my history of TB, will they take sputum test on that very day along with x ray or they would only take x ray and call me again later for sputum test?

Basically I wish to know can there be any way to fasten up this process of sputum test?
Thanks again.
Hey! Sorry for not replying earlier. The medical test is just that - the standard test. Even if you disclose it to your doctor and the form (which you have to), the further request for TB patient comes after you've done your x-ray. Perhaps there's some spots which are probably calcified granuloma. This was my case. The request comes from CIC so there is nothing you can say to your medical centre that would initiate the Sputum Test. You just have to keep checking back with the medical centre if the medical test was cleared or not. Because if it wasn't CIC usually gets back within a day or two, electronically, to request for further tests . Meanwhile, they post a mail to you. So it will take you a month before you actually find out about it. So please contact your medical centre to find out if CIC has requested any further test or not. If they haven't, you've passed the medical test and your myCIC will reflect this right away. If not, medical centre will let you know that there is request for further test in which case you go and see them. Do know you get priority now so you don't have to book an appointment anymore. They will give you instructions when and where to get it done which is usually right away. This was the case in Nepal. Not sure where you are located. However I reckon the process would be similar if not the same.

Hope this helps!

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hey! Sorry for not replying earlier. The medical test is just that - the standard test. Even if you disclose it to your doctor and the form (which you have to), the further request for TB patient comes after you've done your x-ray. Perhaps there's some spots which are probably calcified granuloma. This was my case. The request comes from CIC so there is nothing you can say to your medical centre that would initiate the Sputum Test. You just have to keep checking back with the medical centre if the medical test was cleared or not. Because if it wasn't CIC usually gets back within a day or two, electronically, to request for further tests . Meanwhile, they post a mail to you. So it will take you a month before you actually find out about it. So please contact your medical centre to find out if CIC has requested any further test or not. If they haven't, you've passed the medical test and your myCIC will reflect this right away. If not, medical centre will let you know that there is request for further test in which case you go and see them. Do know you get priority now so you don't have to book an appointment anymore. They will give you instructions when and where to get it done which is usually right away. This was the case in Nepal. Not sure where you are located. However I reckon the process would be similar if not the same.

Hope this helps!
Hi, can you please let us know the details of your medical test after landing in? Did you have to go through all the tests you had in your home country?

Kathmandu23

Dec 15, 2017
Hi, can you please let us know the details of your medical test after landing in? Did you have to go through all the tests you had in your home country?
Nope. After I landed, I called the number I was supposed to and I was sent a letter shortly with an appointment date. I had to do a chest xray and a doctor asked me some questions but that was it. I already had got my health card at that point so I didnt have to pay anything

Reactions: AskBD