+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permits (16 Months of Study)

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
You can appeal for sure, because you studied during this period, and did not remain free. You will surely get 1 year PGWP. Best of the luck.

Reactions: Kaurb

Sump16

Sep 2, 2018
Is this rule of visa still valid?
16 months of studies (ie 16 study months/ given in acceptance letter) then we get 3 years of work permit.

Please confirm.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Is this rule of visa still valid?
16 months of studies (ie 16 study months/ given in acceptance letter) then we get 3 years of work permit.

Please confirm.
Yes it is still valid but the 16 months should be continuous study period and no breaks in between. This would translate into 4 semester which I turn translate into 2 years. You will be eligible for a 2 year PGWP but if your program is a master's or a PhD then you will get a 3year PGWP.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

sehajkhurmi

Jun 24, 2019
Yes it is still valid but the 16 months should be continuous study period and no breaks in between. This would translate into 4 semester which I turn translate into 2 years. You will be eligible for a 2 year PGWP but if your program is a master's or a PhD then you will get a 3year PGWP.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
hi, my course is of 1 year computer application security (post graduate certificate) and the other course which i will take is information technology network security(post graduation certificate) .Will i get the work permit for three years if do this course without taking any breaks??
my college is conestoga college waterloo campus and my first course is co op course.

Reactions: gupt07ash

gupt07ash

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
hi, my course is of 1 year computer application security (post graduate certificate) and the other course which i will take is information technology network security(post graduation certificate) .Will i get the work permit for three years if do this course without taking any breaks??
my college is conestoga college waterloo campus and my first course is co op course.
I have the same question. Can someone answer this dude? @selvakk

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I have the same question. Can someone answer this dude? @selvakk
According to latest guidance, for multiple programs

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

"The length of the work permit should combine the length of each program.

If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years."

You will get 16 months + the duration of all scheduled breaks, holidays etc. If the combined total is 24 months and above, then you will get 3 years PGWP, otherwise you will only get a PGWP which is equal to the number of months. For example, if you have a combine total of 22 months, then you will get a PGWP of 22 months only.

gupt07ash

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining

If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years."

You will get 16 months + the duration of all scheduled breaks, holidays etc. If the combined total is 24 months and above, then you will get 3 years PGWP, otherwise you will only get a PGWP which is equal to the number of months. For example, if you have a combine total of 22 months, then you will get a PGWP of 22 months only.
thanks

sehajkhurmi

Jun 24, 2019

Like my study is of 16 months which is considered as 2 years.If i take breaks in between my studies ,like 4 months breaks will it be counted in studies and i

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Like my study is of 16 months which is considered as 2 years.If i take breaks in between my studies ,like 4 months breaks will it be counted in studies and i
16 months of studies is considered as 2 years for PGWP purposes only if you have scheduled breaks that will total to 24 months. I am not sure if they count breaks in between two programs for PGWP, since they are not scheduled breaks. They will take the months from your course completion certificate plus any scheduled breaks etc.