+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit to Open Work Permit

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
Hi, I am currently on a PGWP which expires in January 2024 and I am applying for an open work permit as I do not have a job at present. I also do not have all the hours to apply for a PR.
My question is that do I need to write a letter where I need to satisfy the officer that my intent is only to work here and then go back to my country and attach this with my application?
kindly advise!

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am currently on a PGWP which expires in January 2024 and I am applying for an open work permit as I do not have a job at present. I also do not have all the hours to apply for a PR.
My question is that do I need to write a letter where I need to satisfy the officer that my intent is only to work here and then go back to my country and attach this with my application?
kindly advise!

Thank you
How are you eligible for an open work permit? Your PGWP expires in January so you would need a job offer with approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit or have received ITA for PR before expiry of PGWP to apply for a Bridging Open Work permit. Once your PGWP expires, you can no longer work.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kindly advise!

Thank you
Unfortunately an open work permit is not available to you. You would need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit.

There have been several public policies announced by IRCC that have allowed PGWP holders to extend their PGWP. However unfortunately the most recent policy announced ends in December and does not apply to individuals such as yourself who have PGWPs expiring next year.

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
How are you eligible for an open work permit? Your PGWP expires in January so you would need a job offer with approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit or have received ITA for PR before expiry of PGWP to apply for a Bridging Open Work permit. Once your PGWP expires, you can no longer work.
@scylla and @Naturgrl - I did a tool which led me to that. But I went back and checked and you are right. What are my options then to stay in the country and find a job? I do not have enough hours to apply for express entry. I do not have a job to apply for a work permit. I have about 8 months of work experience, is it still possible to put in an application for express entry and update it later once I get the hours?

Reactions: JjboyRd

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@scylla and @Naturgrl - I did a tool which led me to that. But I went back and checked and you are right. What are my options then to stay in the country and find a job? I do not have enough hours to apply for express entry. I do not have a job to apply for a work permit. I have about 8 months of work experience, is it still possible to put in an application for express entry and update it later once I get the hours?
You are either for eligible to submit an EE profile or you are not as of today’s date. So if you can submit a profile now then do so but you cannot count future hours. Your only option at this time is to stop working when PGWP expires, and change status to visitor if you want to remain in Canada. Then you find an employer with LMIA to apply for a closed work permit.

Reactions: sSSspidermanNNn

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your options are:

1) Change your status to a visitor and remain in Canada temporarily without working.
2) Secure a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada and apply for a closed work permit.
3) Make the decision to return to school and apply for a new study permit. However I think you're out of time to do this for January so you would need to still switch to visitor status first.

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
You are either for eligible to submit an EE profile or you are not as of today’s date. So if you can submit a profile now then do so but you cannot count future hours. Your only option at this time is to stop working when PGWP expires, and change status to visitor if you want to remain in Canada. Then you find an employer with LMIA to apply for a closed work permit.
Thank you im going to try and do my express entry at the earliest and apply for a bridging open work permit

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you im going to try and do my express entry at the earliest and apply for a bridging open work permit
So you are eligible through through FSW or CEC? You cannot apply for a BOWP until you receive ITA with a high enough CRS score, submit your PR application and then get AOR. Once you have AOR, you can apply for BOWP.

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
So you are eligible through through FSW or CEC? You cannot apply for a BOWP until you receive ITA with a high enough CRS score, submit your PR application and then get AOR. Once you have AOR, you can apply for BOWP.
Yeah that's what I am planning to do as of now. Thank you for your help! appreciate it!

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
I think i qualify for FSW as of now

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
@Naturgrl - I have a question: since I don't qualify under any category for a work-permit to restore my status, will an approved LMIA give me a possibility to apply for an open or closed work permit on my own? (meaning: LMIA (that's applied and is in progress) is for PR only (0 dollars) but, could it be also used to restore my status as a worker or it must be strictly used for PR and PR only?)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
@Naturgrl - I have a question: since I don't qualify under any category for a work-permit to restore my status, will an approved LMIA give me a possibility to apply for an open or closed work permit on my own? (meaning: LMIA (that's applied and is in progress) is for PR only (0 dollars) but, could it be also used to restore my status as a worker or it must be strictly used for PR and PR only?)
Do you have an approved LMIA that aligns with your job experience and education? When does your PGWP expire?

track002

Star Member
Oct 16, 2023
Do you have an approved LMIA that aligns with your job experience and education? When does your PGWP expire?
I'm out of status currently, we had a discussion in my thread the other week. I was packing up to leave but my employer was wondering about the question I asked, so he doesn't have to re-hire. I'm under 90-days restoration period.

LMIA is in process, Dec 22nd will mark 57 business days so will know in Mid Feb.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm out of status currently, we had a discussion in my thread the other week. I was packing up to leave but my employer was wondering about the question I asked, so he doesn't have to re-hire. I'm under 90-days restoration period.

LMIA is in process, Dec 22nd will mark 57 business days so will know in Mid Feb.
Why doesn’t the employer have to show hiring process if you are out of status and can no longer work? Even for PR stream, employer shows recruitment efforts. Your employer will have to wait and see if LMIA is approved. All you can do is wait.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/permanent/recruitment.html