+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit - Proof of Funds Needed?

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
Hi all,

I have applied to the FSW programme for my PR but scored only 410 points. In order to increase my score, I have applied to do a Master's degree for 1 year at a Canadian University as an international student. Since I am self-funded, I won't be able to meet the funding requirements to apply for a PR after paying for university and other expenses. Upon graduation, I then need to find a job quickly in my field, and earn CAD$12,000 within the 1 year permitted by the PGWP. Given my nationality I can only reasonably earn this money in a short timeframe by staying in Canada for work.

Do I need proof of funds to apply for the PGWP to show I can support myself during the job search or duration of the PWGP?

And is this plan doable? I need a reality check - any thoughts welcome.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Hi all,

I have applied to the FSW programme for my PR but scored only 410 points. In order to increase my score, I have applied to do a Master's degree for 1 year at a Canadian University as an international student. Since I am self-funded, I won't be able to meet the funding requirements to apply for a PR after paying for university and other expenses. Upon graduation, I then need to find a job quickly in my field, and earn CAD$12,000 within the 1 year permitted by the PGWP. Given my nationality I can only reasonably earn this money in a short timeframe by staying in Canada for work.

Do I need proof of funds to apply for the PGWP to show I can support myself during the job search or duration of the PWGP?

you don not need to show proof of funds when applying for a PGWP after school

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I would very strongly recommend you take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. Many people struggle to get a full year of work experience with just a 1 year PGWP. Additionally, it may end up being quite unrealistic to save $12K in just a year. Three years will give you more time to do this.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
you don not need to show proof of funds when applying for a PGWP after school
Ok thanks. What about when I apply for a study permit? Surely they will want to be convinced that I am leaving Canada upon graduation? If I tell them I am staying to look for work, will this have any impact on the amount needed to show as proof of funds when applying for the study permit?

I would very strongly recommend you take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. Many people struggle to get a full year of work experience with just a 1 year PGWP. Additionally, it may end up being quite unrealistic to save $12K in just a year. Three years will give you more time to do this.
I agree that 2 years is a better shot. I did feel that trying to get 1 year's work experience in would be risky. However, assuming I found work in my field as Trainee Electrical Engineer and the average salary is let's say CAD$50,000 per year, shouldn't it be at least possible to meet the proof of funds? Sure, it will be a hard life, but I am used to sacrifice in the short term. A full year of work isn't necessary either, whatever it takes to make the 12k (POF).

The cheapest and most reputable university I found to do a master's in canada was in U of Alberta. If there is another that you know about, I can develop another plan, perhaps with 2 years instead of 1.

Last edited:

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Ok thanks. What about when I apply for a study permit? Surely they will want to be convinced that I am leaving Canada upon graduation? If I tell them I am staying to look for work, will this have any impact on the amount needed to show as proof of funds when applying for the study permit?
you cannot tell them that you are staying after graduation. that's an outright refusal for you there. but yes you have to show proof of funds when applying for a study permit as well as an strong SOP explaining your choice of program and school in Canada. also explain how the program will help you find a job back home.

I agree that 2 years is a better shot. I did feel that trying to get 1 year's work experience in would be risky. However, assuming I found work in my field as Trainee Electrical Engineer and the average salary is let's say CAD$50,000 per year, shouldn't it be at least possible to meet the proof of funds? Sure, it will be a hard life, but I am used to sacrifice in the short term. A full year of work isn't necessary either, whatever it takes to make the 12k.

The cheapest and most reputable university I found to do a master's in canada was in U of Alberta. If there is another that you know about, I can develop another plan, perhaps with 2 years instead of 1.
also dont put too much pressure of the type of job and salary you will get after school. it all really depends on the kind of job and prior experiences you have in that field. CAD 50,000 year gross puts your net annual around
CAD 35,000 - 39,000 depending on the province.

also know that one academic year program is only 8 months. which means in that you might get only 8months work permit.

just keep your expectations realistic.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
also dont put too much pressure of the type of job and salary you will get after school. it all really depends on the kind of job and prior experiences you have in that field. CAD 50,000 year gross puts your net annual around
CAD 35,000 - 39,000 depending on the province.

also know that one academic year program is only 8 months. which means in that you might get only 8months work permit.

just keep your expectations realistic.
Those are some great points. I saw that the salary was actually >60,000CAD but I gave myself a 10,000CAD penalty for being an immigrant :D

My programme is actually 1.5 years, but I can finish it in 1 year if I do my project in the summer vacation so I will get it for more than 8 months.

I have even read other posts about CIC just asking for a letter from the employer instead of making you prove your funds, since those applicants are already living and working in CA. Any reason not to just do this?

Finally, I don't get the secrecy that I want to move to Canada, and using the university as a way to further my career. They have a LMIA exempt programme (PGWP) that students can apply to before studies are over, yet we need to pretend that we won't use it????

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you state you want to stay in Canada after your studies, you will be rejected, simple as that. Just play the game. I stated in my SOP that I wanted to enhance my skills, so that when I go back to the UK, my employer will hire me again for a better position. For the PGWP, I applied with a letter from my employer and that was all I needed. The proof of funds is kind of implied if you have a paying job offer. I would suggest getting a 2yr course. That's what I done and I received a 3 yr PGWP.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
If you state you want to stay in Canada after your studies, you will be rejected, simple as that. Just play the game. I stated in my SOP that I wanted to enhance my skills, so that when I go back to the UK, my employer will hire me again for a better position. For the PGWP, I applied with a letter from my employer and that was all I needed. The proof of funds is kind of implied if you have a paying job offer. I would suggest getting a 2yr course. That's what I done and I received a 3 yr PGWP.
for PGWP you only need a letter from the SCHOOL or transcript. not a letter from the employer. its an open work permit hence proof of employment is not needed

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Those are some great points. I saw that the salary was actually >60,000CAD but I gave myself a 10,000CAD penalty for being an immigrant :D

My programme is actually 1.5 years, but I can finish it in 1 year if I do my project in the summer vacation so I will get it for more than 8 months.

I have even read other posts about CIC just asking for a letter from the employer instead of making you prove your funds, since those applicants are already living and working in CA. Any reason not to just do this?

Finally, I don't get the secrecy that I want to move to Canada, and using the university as a way to further my career. They have a LMIA exempt programme (PGWP) that students can apply to before studies are over, yet we need to pretend that we won't use it????

i know right. but i guess it shows good faith that the applicant will not remain illegally or something. i dont know though but that how all of us came and just last month i got my PR. saying you will remain here from the start shows premeditated thoughts ;)

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yes, I didn't mean you NEEDED it, just if you have one it will look good on the application and imply you will have funds.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
Yes, but I would need to more than double my current funds to have proof of funds for a study permit.. I've waited 2 years to be where I am now. I don't have any help and I'm assuming I can't take any loans for tuition and the additional expenses for the second year you mentioned. But I'd try to do a break-down of what I think are expenses, please adjust as per your more relevant Canadian experience!

Food: $250
Housing: $600
Transport: $50
Misc: $150
Total per month: $1,050
Total per year: $12,600

Total prospective earnings per year(pre-tax): $50,000
Total prospective earnings per year(taxed): $35,000 (worst case scenario)

Total savings for POF in 1 year: 35,000 - 12,600 = CAD$22,400.

This is far greater than the POF figure, hence requirements satisfied for PR. I am not worried about going overbudget, having lived in Manchester for 3 yrs and Southampton for 1 yr on a scholarship. I have UK co op experience, and trainee experience in my home country. This will not be my first boogie abroad.

EDIT: This idea is built around the premise that I can find a stable 1 year contract for work in a field that pays fairly well, even if it isn't in my field. So if that's part of the problem nowadays then I don't know what else I can do because I have the same goddamn problem where I live now :D

EDIT EDIT: To give people an idea of myself: I studied for a BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Industrial Experience from the University of Manchester. I graduated in the First Class and worked for 1 year in IBM while in the UK. I have a couple years of other relevant engineering experience as well.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Yes, but I would need to more than double my current funds to have proof of funds for a study permit.. I've waited 2 years to be where I am now. I don't have any help and I'm assuming I can't take any loans for tuition and the additional expenses for the second year you mentioned. But I'd try to do a break-down of what I think are expenses, please adjust as per your more relevant Canadian experience!

This is far greater than the POF figure, hence requirements satisfied for PR. I am not worried about going overbudget, having lived in Manchester for 3 yrs and Southampton for 1 yr on a scholarship. I have UK co op experience, and trainee experience in my home country. This will not be my first boogie abroad.

EDIT: This idea is built around the premise that I can find a stable 1 year contract for work in a field that pays fairly well, even if it isn't in my field. So if that's part of the problem nowadays then I don't know what else I can do because I have the same goddamn problem where I live now :D

EDIT EDIT: To give people an idea of myself: I studied for a BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Industrial Experience from the University of Manchester. I graduated in the First Class and worked for 1 year in IBM while in the UK. I have a couple years of other relevant engineering experience as well.
what province are you looking to live in and what type of accomodation(shared or not). you can adjust the expenses based on the province. i would suggest that you lower the pre-tax annual earnings to CAD 43000-45000 esp for fresh graduate jobs. if it ends up being more good.http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interactive/transit-prices/
this should give you a good idea the average cost of monthly bus passes across the country

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020

EDIT EDIT: To give people an idea of myself: I studied a BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineer with Industrial Experience from the University of Manchester. I graduated in the First Class and worked for 1 year in a multinational software company for 'co-op.'
It also depends where you live as well but I think your budgeting might be quite a bit off. Transport $50 a month? Food $250 a month seems reasonable I suppose if you are not going to east anything extravagant. The housing cost really depends where you want to live. But if you want to live in say Toroonto, I think you would be pushed to get anything for $600 a month and then you have got to factor in other living expenses as well such as electricity.

To be an International student the fees are from 15-18k for a 2 year course (mines were 18) and then you have to have another 10k to show you can live.

jmoh

Apr 14, 2018
It also depends where you live as well but I think your budgeting might be quite a bit off. Transport $50 a month? Food $250 a month seems reasonable I suppose if you are not going to east anything extravagant. The housing cost really depends where you want to live. But if you want to live in say Toroonto, I think you would be pushed to get anything for $600 a month and then you have got to factor in other living expenses as well such as electricity.

To be an International student the fees are from 15-18k for a 2 year course (mines were 18) and then you have to have another 10k to show you can live.
My tuition fee is about 10,000CAD and I have an additional 10,000CAD for living expenses while studying at the U of Alberta - yes I meet study permit requirements for 1 year only. My previous degree cost me 20,000£ per year, for a total of more than £100,000 over 3 years. Even though it was all funded by scholarship, was it worth it in retrospect? :D I think the university of Alberta is outrageously cheap for the opportunity it affords.

I would be looking for a job in Alberta after graduation ideally. But I'm open to relocating anywhere in Canada, I don't have any ties, it just me myself and I.

I live in the Caribbean now.

Last edited: