+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit Program (length of study needed)

Diane05

Oct 1, 2014
Hi! I'm planning to study in a Hospitality Program with Co - op and is considering Post Graduate Work Permit in the long run.

I just have a little confusion about the eligibility of the PGWP; it says that "You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months". Now the program that I'm planning to take is a 6 months study and 6 months Co - op certificate, I would like to know if the "at least 8 months" study requirement for the PGWP, is strictly LECTURE BASE STUDY ONLY and therefore won't qualify a program of 6 months study and 6 months co - op or would the "at least 8 months" study would mean that the whole program of study should at least lasted 8 months or more regardless if half of the program is for co - op?

And one more thing, there is also a college eligibility requirement for the PGWP - if the college I'm planning to apply can be found on the Designated Learning Institution list, does that mean that it already is a participating college that is qualified for the PGWP requirement?

Thank you in advance :)

Chocolat

Oct 2, 2014
Hey Diane05,

As far as I know, the study time includes the actual lecture time as well as the co-op time; the program length will be clearly shown on your LOA from the college. You can always check it out.

The second question, if the college has DLI#, then it is a qualified college and you can apply for PGWP. One thing to mention is that the PGWP period normally equals the time of the study program. Therefore, 12 months' program is qualified for one-year PGWP.

Hope it helps!

Diane05

Oct 1, 2014
Chocolat said:
Hey Diane05,

As far as I know, the study time includes the actual lecture time as well as the co-op time; the program length will be clearly shown on your LOA from the college. You can always check it out.

The second question, if the college has DLI#, then it is a qualified college and you can apply for PGWP. One thing to mention is that the PGWP period normally equals the time of the study program. Therefore, 12 months' program is qualified for one-year PGWP.

Hope it helps!
Great! I appreciate the response, Thanks for the clarification. :)