+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduation Work Permit - Online CIC application is broken!

gihad

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hey guys,

I already have a PGWP that was issued to the expiry date of my passport (only two years long), now after renewing my passport I want to extend it to get the full 3 years.
The problem is that the new CIC Online application system (New since December 15, 2013) will not give you the option to do that :/

The only way I got the "Post Graduation Work Permit" option to unlock was by stating that my current status in Canada is "Student", which might confuse the officer looking at my application. Even in that case the system makes you upload the regular form from offline applicaton (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5710E.pdf). Even if I decide to go with it, I don't know how to answer Question number 3 of this form. I'm already working with my Post graduation work permit.

What do you guys think? I guess I still have the option to do an offline application but I want to do online since that's faster.

kcdelro

Jan 14, 2013
Hi! I am also currently trying to attach the IMM 5710 form to extend my PGWP which would expire on Feb 11, 2013 but because the document is secured, it won't let me attach it online.

Does anyone know how to attach this document online? Also, what do you need to attach for schedule 1 under optional documents?

Thanks and hope someone could help me figure out the uploading part of documents.

moon1

Jan 15, 2013
Hi guys same problem here so did you applied for new PGW permit
is yes how you guys applied
please share
that will be great help for someone thanks

MUSHROOMROOM

Star Member
Dec 25, 2012
gihad said:
I think we are better off doing the paper application.
I wonder what the timeline would be for a paper application for PGWP. It seems that the online application is much faster than indicated. Not sure if the paper ones will be the same as well

gihad

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
MUSHROOMROOM said:
I wonder what the timeline would be for a paper application for PGWP. It seems that the online application is much faster than indicated. Not sure if the paper ones will be the same as well
I worry about the exact same thing, it will probably take longer to do the paper application. we got a little screwed over by the new system :/

I shouldn't have procrastinated, before Dec. 15th it would have been fine.

MUSHROOMROOM

Star Member
Dec 25, 2012
gihad said:
I worry about the exact same thing, it will probably take longer to do the paper application. we got a little screwed over by the new system :/

I shouldn't have procrastinated, before Dec. 15th it would have been fine.
Ya same here... My friend was able to submit hers online on Dec 20th but when it got to the 23rd, there has been no way for me to do so.
I am prepared to wait for 3 months...

So sad

gihad

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
What happens if the extension doesn't arrive before the current one expires? Can you keep working based on the "implied status" rule?
I still have 5 months left so I'm not too worried, and also my CEC PR application will probably be done before 5 months time too, but just in case :p

evinecz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
How do you guys apply for the extension? do you guys still need the school letters? transcript etc? or is the copy of your current pgwp enough proof for them?

Help would be appreciated.

gihad

Star Member
Jul 26, 2012
evinecz said:
How do you guys apply for the extension? do you guys still need the school letters? transcript etc? or is the copy of your current pgwp enough proof for them?

Help would be appreciated.
In my case I'm just claiming the remaining balance on my PGWP, I was entitled to 3 years but my password was going to expire in 2 years, for that reason my current PGWP was only issued to 2 years(same data as the passport expiry date), in that sense it's not really an extension.

If you are in the same situation, I was told that I don't need to send transcripts or school letters this time, because I already send them before. You do need to fill out the forms and send a letter of explanations along with a copy of your new passport at a minimum.

Papa Bomboy

Jan 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, first of thanks for the all the replies on this page its been a blessing.

My issue is pretty similar to the above. I have used the cic online system for study permits and off campus work permit application even until last November.

I just graduated in December 2012 and am having trouble trying to apply for my post graduate work permit. When i sign in with my GCkey. All i get is update information and apply online.

When I click on the "apply online" option it takes me to an application form for outside canada as opposed to inside canada.
It shows a different application form other than IMM5710E but shows the slots for the passport page, education/degree and passport photograph to be uploaded.

Am I doing sth wrong?

evinecz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
gihad said:
In my case I'm just claiming the remaining balance on my PGWP, I was entitled to 3 years but my password was going to expire in 2 years, for that reason my current PGWP was only issued to 2 years(same data as the passport expiry date), in that sense it's not really an extension.

If you are in the same situation, I was told that I don't need to send transcripts or school letters this time, because I already send them before. You do need to fill out the forms and send a letter of explanations along with a copy of your new passport at a minimum.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, In fact i am in the same situation as you, i only got 2 years when i was entitled for 3 years. When you say i need to send a letter of explanation, what do you mean by this? what letter are you referring too? Do you also need a letter from your employer?

Also have you found a solution to your problem? Its really confusing applying online, I also do not see PGWP, the closest is Restricted work permit.

Thanks. Let me know how your application is going.