+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduation work permit HELP

wtan014

Jan 29, 2015
Hi I studied in Canada for 4 years and got a 1.5 year PSGWP. It was 1.5 instead of three because of my passport expiry date. I got a new passport, but my PSGWP ends in about a month.
I have already applied for an extension for my work permit.
Will it take longer then 2 months to come ? and if so what are my options, i currently have a job.
Thank you very much

iamitguy

Nov 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Not at all
AOR Received.
16-09-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with App
Med's Request
19-08-2015
Med's Done....
14-07-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2015
LANDED..........
07-09-2015
wtan014 said:
Hi I studied in Canada for 4 years and got a 1.5 year PSGWP. It was 1.5 instead of three because of my passport expiry date. I got a new passport, but my PSGWP ends in about a month.
Will it take longer then 2 months to come ? and if so what are my options, i currently have a job.
I am not sure about how long it will take. But you will be eligible to work even if your current work permit expires, Since you will be waiting for your new work permit. Working during that time is called Implied Status. So dont worry and keep working. You are fine.
Thank you very much

XanderZ

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 15, 2013
AOR Received.
Nov 22, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 24, 2014
Med's Done....
May 1, 2014
Passport Req..
Feb 5, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 11, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 20, 2015
wtan014 said:
Thank you very much
I'm on the exact same situation as you before so don't worry too much about it if you already apply extension for work permit.
Because you have the "implied status" As long as you remained in Canada.

More information here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

mjaffer53

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
You have an option of claiming the 1.5 years that you did not get with your previous passport. The procedure is the same as getting a BOWP.

I prefer this method because in doing so, you are not applying for a BOWP - you are just applying for the remaining 1.5 years which they WILL give you.

I know this because i was going to do the same thing, but for me it was just 3 months that i did not get and i did not consider 3 months to be worth it so i applied for BOWP.

Please call CIC call center and they will explain you the procedure - i believe you have to fill out the same form as BOWP.

wtan014

Jan 29, 2015
Thank you all for your help, I tired calling CIC but i kept getting "we are too busy please try again at another time"
Not sure if i am calling the right line

wtan014

Jan 29, 2015
so as long as i dont leave the country during the transition period i am good ?
Thank you everyone for your help

abrvalg

Feb 3, 2015
mjaffer53 said:
You have an option of claiming the 1.5 years that you did not get with your previous passport. The procedure is the same as getting a BOWP.

I prefer this method because in doing so, you are not applying for a BOWP - you are just applying for the remaining 1.5 years which they WILL give you.

I know this because i was going to do the same thing, but for me it was just 3 months that i did not get and i did not consider 3 months to be worth it so i applied for BOWP.

Please call CIC call center and they will explain you the procedure - i believe you have to fill out the same form as BOWP.
Thank you! I am in exact same situation as the OP (PGWP issued to passport expiry date) and am currently waiting for my PGWP extension.