+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduation work permit eligibility after being withdrawn from a full time program. Please advise!!

Jun 12, 2021
Hello there,

I am an international student. I started my new program in college since January 2020. 1st semester went well, but i got a probation after 2nd semester due to failed courses. (that means I would get kicked out of the program if I did not improve) Also that time I was having a huge mental breakdown plus courseload, I did not acknowledge dropping courses knowing that I would fail. And boom, I failed all except one course in 3rd semester and got withdrawn from the program in December 2020. So I decided to take some part time courses in Winter 2021 of the same college to wait for readmission back to that program. I thought it would prevent my GAP time without studying full time in Canada. Honestly, I didn't know that I am not allowed to study part time. I instantly regretted it. Additionally, there was obviously no full time program available in the middle of semester so I still maintained those part time classes and successfully completed it, along with a bit improvement to my cumulative GPA. After realizing I messed up a lot about my studying process, knowing that both of my student status in Canada and my PGWP eligibility would be at risk. I decided to apply for new programs at that college and different institutions to start over and maintain continuous studies. Then I will apply for a PGWP for this new program only. I wanted to take a program starting in Summer 2021 because I don't want to extend my GAP any longer. Luckily, I got an offer but it was from my old school where I got withdrawn. So I was asking couple of this school officers and off campus agents and they all said it is actually okay for me to not study in this summer because it is a scheduled break. Therefore, I requested the school for deterring my offer to September 2021 so that I can still wait for admission replies from different situations. Since I was advised to start over studying at different institutions from this old school. They were specifying that the transcript of this school shows every single course that I failed and got withdrawn, plus Winter semester that I studied part time. The chance of getting PGWP is still risky f I submitted transcript in this school as a main one with all records that I messed up in the past, even if I maintain full time status of this new program. In conclusion, I would like to know am I doing right? Even if there is no other choice and I need to keep studying this new program at the school I attended to. There would be risk as I mentioned? I know this post is long. I really hope getting replies from you guys. Thank you so much in advance.

Callumjee

Jun 6, 2019
Hello there,

I am an international student. I started my new program in college since January 2020. 1st semester went well, but i got a probation after 2nd semester due to failed courses. (that means I would get kicked out of the program if I did not improve) Also that time I was having a huge mental breakdown plus courseload, I did not acknowledge dropping courses knowing that I would fail. And boom, I failed all except one course in 3rd semester and got withdrawn from the program in December 2020. So I decided to take some part time courses in Winter 2021 of the same college to wait for readmission back to that program. I thought it would prevent my GAP time without studying full time in Canada. Honestly, I didn't know that I am not allowed to study part time. I instantly regretted it. Additionally, there was obviously no full time program available in the middle of semester so I still maintained those part time classes and successfully completed it, along with a bit improvement to my cumulative GPA. After realizing I messed up a lot about my studying process, knowing that both of my student status in Canada and my PGWP eligibility would be at risk. I decided to apply for new programs at that college and different institutions to start over and maintain continuous studies. Then I will apply for a PGWP for this new program only. I wanted to take a program starting in Summer 2021 because I don't want to extend my GAP any longer. Luckily, I got an offer but it was from my old school where I got withdrawn. So I was asking couple of this school officers and off campus agents and they all said it is actually okay for me to not study in this summer because it is a scheduled break. Therefore, I requested the school for deterring my offer to September 2021 so that I can still wait for admission replies from different situations. Since I was advised to start over studying at different institutions from this old school. They were specifying that the transcript of this school shows every single course that I failed and got withdrawn, plus Winter semester that I studied part time. The chance of getting PGWP is still risky f I submitted transcript in this school as a main one with all records that I messed up in the past, even if I maintain full time status of this new program. In conclusion, I would like to know am I doing right? Even if there is no other choice and I need to keep studying this new program at the school I attended to. There would be risk as I mentioned? I know this post is long. I really hope getting replies from you guys. Thank you so much in advance.
Hey.

I will answer as best I can, but what it seems like to me is that as you did part time courses that doesn't qualify you for PGWP. Your study permit also has to match your program of study, which you have to tell them what it is when you apply. It may cause problems when applying so what I would recommend is that when you do apply is include a LOE and explain everything like you did here. However, I cannot stress enough that you have to make it clear and easy to read for the officer as if it is complicated and they don't understand then they are more likely to refuse the application.

I hope this provides you with some sort of closure, maybe someone else who was in a similar situation can help.

Reactions: totorocakebatter
Jun 12, 2021
Thank you so much for your reply. I also received the same advices from my school officers to include a letter of explanation when I apply for PGWP.

May I ask if it is necessary to inform IRCC about changing programs in the same DLI? As I know if I change DLI I will surely have to inform them.

Callumjee

Jun 6, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. I also received the same advices from my school officers to include a letter of explanation when I apply for PGWP.

May I ask if it is necessary to inform IRCC about changing programs in the same DLI? As I know if I change DLI I will surely have to inform them.
I do think you have you let them know if you change program, I am not 100% though.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello there,

Sorry for your situation and hope you are doing great with the mental health.

If your school reported to the Immigration as required, then there might view it as violations of the condition of your Study permit. You withdrew in Dec 2020,and took part time ( only on your last semester this is allowed ).Maintaining condition include maintaining full time status. How will this impact your future study permit extension, it depends on the officer reviewing your file, but most likely officer will be interesting to see how you maintainer your status since your entry to CANADA

Jun 12, 2021
Sorry for your situation and hope you are doing great with the mental health.

If your school reported to the Immigration as required, then there might view it as violations of the condition of your Study permit. You withdrew in Dec 2020,and took part time ( only on your last semester this is allowed ).Maintaining condition include maintaining full time status. How will this impact your future study permit extension, it depends on the officer reviewing your file, but most likely officer will be interesting to see how you maintainer your status since your entry to CANADA
Hello there, thank you so much for your reply and support of my mental problem. I am actually doing well now and focusing on new program in this Fall.

So I arrived in Canada since May 2018 and take grade 12 in a high school, then I graduated high school in Summer 2019 and came back to my hometown country for vacation in Fall. After the trip, I came back to Canada in December 2019 and started that program I got withdrawn in Winter 2020. It seems everything was okay since that GAP time I went back home for vacation was less than 150 days. I also extended my study permit in September 2020 with no issue. Just to be clear, my full time status was maintained before getting withdrawn in December 2020.

I have been asking many people about my case. Mostly they said it should be okay for my PGWP application as long as I include a letter of explanation. One of them recommended me to explain that I was studying part time due to breaks between program, also to show that I actively pursuing studies as a prioritized excuse.

Also my main concern was about the final transcript if I need to stay at this old school. All of my records of failed courses during the previous program and part time studies as well, are all included in the transcript. Even if I submitted this transcript to IRCC as a final transcript for PGWP application, what could possibly happen?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello there, thank you so much for your reply and support of my mental problem. I am actually doing well now and focusing on new program in this Fall.

So I arrived in Canada since May 2018 and take grade 12 in a high school, then I graduated high school in Summer 2019 and came back to my hometown country for vacation in Fall. After the trip, I came back to Canada in December 2019 and started that program I got withdrawn in Winter 2020. It seems everything was okay since that GAP time I went back home for vacation was less than 150 days. I also extended my study permit in September 2020 with no issue. Just to be clear, my full time status was maintained before getting withdrawn in December 2020.

I have been asking many people about my case. Mostly they said it should be okay for my PGWP application as long as I include a letter of explanation. One of them recommended me to explain that I was studying part time due to breaks between program, also to show that I actively pursuing studies as a prioritized excuse.

Also my main concern was about the final transcript if I need to stay at this old school. All of my records of failed courses during the previous program and part time studies as well, are all included in the transcript. Even if I submitted this transcript to IRCC as a final transcript for PGWP application, what could possibly happen?

Please let me know. Thank you.
When you apply your pgwp, application form ask you to list down your original entry to Canada and purpose of entry. It also asks about previous activity, status and occupation for the last 10years. So you will have to declare your situation with the University you failed, indicate your part time studies after you lost your full time status. Your situation is not unique to visa officers, they must have come across tons of similar situation and they have guidance how to proceed. So whatever option you take, under previous activity question you are obliged to disclose

Jun 12, 2021
Tha
When you apply your pgwp, application form ask you to list down your original entry to Canada and purpose of entry. It also asks about previous activity, status and occupation for the last 10years. So you will have to declare your situation with the University you failed, indicate your part time studies after you lost your full time status. Your situation is not unique to visa officers, they must have come across tons of similar situation and they have guidance how to proceed. So whatever option you take, under previous activity question you are obliged to disclose
These pieces of information are really helpful for me, I will take notes. Thank you for taking time to explain to me in details :)

Reactions: Callumjee