+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduation work permit and spouse open work permit extension

ahxd

Mar 17, 2019
Hi guys,

Can anybody advise me what to do in this situation?

I graduated from university by the end of 2016 and got a PGWP which should be valid for 3 years until the end of 2019. However, due to my passport validity, I was issued a PGWP which expired in June 2019. Now, I have a new passport and applied for an extension of my PGWP and am waiting for an approval.

My spouse holds a spouse open work permit which also expires in June 2019 accordingly. He is preparing to apply for an extension as soon as my extension is approved.

What I need your help is here. When I applied for my PGWP for the first time in 2016, I had a 5-month employment in NOC A, then he had his permit. But now I don't have a job in NOC 0, A, B. I am wondering if he could get his permit extension. If not, what should we do to get his permit extension?

Thank you for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Can anybody advise me what to do in this situation?

I graduated from university by the end of 2016 and got a PGWP which should be valid for 3 years until the end of 2019. However, due to my passport validity, I was issued a PGWP which expired in June 2019. Now, I have a new passport and applied for an extension of my PGWP and am waiting for an approval.

My spouse holds a spouse open work permit which also expires in June 2019 accordingly. He is preparing to apply for an extension as soon as my extension is approved.

What I need your help is here. When I applied for my PGWP for the first time in 2016, I had a 5-month employment in NOC A, then he had his permit. But now I don't have a job in NOC 0, A, B. I am wondering if he could get his permit extension. If not, what should we do to get his permit extension?

Thank you for your time.
You need to be holding a NOC A, B, or 0 job in order for your spouse to qualify to extend the open work permit. Since you don't have a job, he doesn't qualify for an extension. He should apply to change his status to visitor before his OWP expires. He'll need to stop working as soon as the OWP expires - however changing his status to visitor will allow him to remain in Canada as a visitor. Once you have a NOC A, B or 0 job and can provide pay slips to prove it, he can reapply for an OWP.

Reactions: ahxd

ahxd

Mar 17, 2019
You need to be holding a NOC A, B, or 0 job in order for your spouse to qualify to extend the open work permit. Since you don't have a job, he doesn't qualify for an extension. He should apply to change his status to visitor before his OWP expires. He'll need to stop working as soon as the OWP expires - however changing his status to visitor will allow him to remain in Canada as a visitor. Once you have a NOC A, B or 0 job and can provide pay slips to prove it, he can reapply for an OWP.
Hi Scylla,

Thank you very much for your response.