+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-graduate work permit vs Spousal sponsorship

May 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi all,

I have a somewhat complex question.

I am a US citizen studying in Canada in a 3-year advanced diploma program. My slated graduation is end of 2018. However, I have the option of graduating early with a 2-year diploma, in which case I'd be finishing as early as August!

Question 1: If I apply for a post-graduate work permit now, would I be able to work in August?

I am married to a Canadian citizen. We have considered outland sponsorship but haven't made any applications as of yet.

Question 2: If applying outland, would working in Canada be a possibility during the application process?

Final Question: Overall, what would be the pros and cons for the two paths to residency (which is the ultimate goal)?

Thanks for reading!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I have a somewhat complex question.

I am a US citizen studying in Canada in a 3-year advanced diploma program. My slated graduation is end of 2018. However, I have the option of graduating early with a 2-year diploma, in which case I'd be finishing as early as August!

Question 1: If I apply for a post-graduate work permit now, would I be able to work in August?

I am married to a Canadian citizen. We have considered outland sponsorship but haven't made any applications as of yet.

Question 2: If applying outland, would working in Canada be a possibility during the application process?

Final Question: Overall, what would be the pros and cons for the two paths to residency (which is the ultimate goal)?

Thanks for reading!
Hi

Apply outland.

It is your choice whether to take the 2 year diploma or finish your 3 year program. If you take the 2 year, you can apply for a PGWP and work full-time as soon as you are done studying.

May 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Hi

Apply outland.

It is your choice whether to take the 2 year diploma or finish your 3 year program. If you take the 2 year, you can apply for a PGWP and work full-time as soon as you are done studying.
For the PGWP, am I allowed to work while the permit application is processing?

May 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Would I need to apply for the PGWP under "dual-intent" and how does that work exactly? Thank you for the responses!