+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Refusal

Fahad1990

Jan 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

I came to Canada to do a 2 year Master Degree program and I completed it successfully (thank god). My student permit was valid only until 30th AUG 2015, but I got my degree completion letter only after 3 days which is 2nd SEPT 2015. I applied for restoration along with my PGWP on 3rd SEPT 2015. Unfortunately my application got refused (on 30th DEC) and I have no status right now. I guess I did a mistake while applying. I paid 200$ for restoring my Work Permit (which I never had) instead of restoring my Study Permit. The total fee I paid was 455$ (Restoration fee+ PGWP fee+ Work Permit holder fee). I don't think i can apply for another restoration application since I went past the 90 days mark.

I wanna know if I did any mistake in applying the restoration? If yes, what is the correct way to do it? (I only did one application which is IMM5710 and I did it online)
And what am I supposed to do now?
Pls help!

Fahad1990

Jan 8, 2016
Thank you Lady in Red :)

That's exactly what I did now. Going for an appeal with the help of an Immigration lawyer.

Shinju

Jan 22, 2015
Hi Fahad;

A work permit and PGWP are two different applications.

If you had a work permit while studying - > When you are a student what you have is a work permit but as a student which cannot be renew once you graduated. Why is a work permit as a student?, because you have certain restrictions for working, 1 of them is the amount of hours you can work.

Once you graduate you apply for PGWP (this is not a regular work permit), which can be valid UP TO three years or less. Once this PGWP expires you are not able to renew it.

Because you didn't had any work permit, you should have applied for a new work permit under the category PGWP. You shouldn't have the need to paid a restoration fee but only the PGWP fee. Is worth mention that if your studies have already been completed you are not going to request a study permit restoration unless you are studying anything else. If you sent the documents before you study permit expired you remain with a 'Status implied', which it allows you to stay in Canada with the same status that you had previously until a decision has been made.

Right now it seems that you don't have any status in Canada, so try to apply as soon as you can for another PGWP.