+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit ( PGWP Length) ?

desi_canadain

Mar 11, 2019
Hello Guys,
I am little bit confused, can anyone please tell me what will be the length of PGWP in following cases:

1. 3 Terms study + 2 Terms COOP = TOTAL 5 TERMS ( Uottawa )

2. 4 Terms study + 1 Terms COOP = TOTAL 5 TERMS ( Memorial, windsor, concordia)

3. 3 Terms study + 1 Terms COOP = TOTAL 4 TERMS ( Dal, SFU)

4. Only 4 TERMS study ( Western, york)

5. 4 Terms study + 2 Terms coop = TOTAL 6 TERMS ( Carleton, Uvic, mcmaster, lakehead)

6. Only 5 TERMS study (york, etc)

my friends told me that 4 term is equivalent to 2 years so i will get 3 PGWP, but when i asked to mcmaster universities's immigration consultant he told me that: 4 Term with mandatory coop program will let you get 3 yr PGWP.

please help

Last edited:

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
You will be getting PGWP of 3 years in all of the above options.

It's because all the programs are either 2 years long or more than that.

(Total duration of studies = Course studies + CO-OP )

As, CO-OP is a mandatory component to graduate.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

desi_canadain

Mar 11, 2019
You will be getting PGWP of 3 years in all of the above options.

It's because all the programs are either 2 years long or more than that.

(Total duration of studies = Course studies + CO-OP )

As, CO-OP is a mandatory component to graduate.
Thanks for the reply,
But in 4 terms course, there is no coop (University don't offer), so if i take course which start in sept 2019, it will complete in dec 2020, its a 16 month course

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for the reply,
But in 4 terms course, there is no coop (University don't offer), so if i take course which start in sept 2019, it will complete in dec 2020, its a 16 month course
E

Even i have the same question ?
An academic.year in Canada consists of two study semesters and a scheduled break semester (usually summer) so four study semesters equal two academic year and as such eligible for 3 years PGWP.
If you do not have scheduled breaks in between then also it will be considered as a two academic year program and thus make you eligible for a 3 years PGWP.

thisistsb

Feb 12, 2019
An academic.year in Canada consists of two study semesters and a scheduled break semester (usually summer) so four study semesters equal two academic year and as such eligible for 3 years PGWP.
If you do not have scheduled breaks in between then also it will be considered as a two academic year program and thus make you eligible for a 3 years PGWP.
My program will start from may 2019 (summer) which means there will be no summer break and if i get all courses completed properly then all the four semesters will be completed in august 2020. Thus it will get finished in 16 months.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
My program will start from may 2019 (summer) which means there will be no summer break and if i get all courses completed properly then all the four semesters will be completed in august 2020. Thus it will get finished in 16 months.
You will be completing a 2 years course in 16 months without any breaks this would be counted as 4 academic semesters back to back and thus equivalent to a 2 years course and a 3 years PGWP.

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
You will be completing a 2 years course in 16 months without any breaks this would be counted as 4 academic semesters back to back and thus equivalent to a 2 years course and a 3 years PGWP.
What if I am doing a 2 semester plus a 4-5 week co op which completes in May and then in September I will be again doing a 2 semester plus a co op . How many years would I get a pgwp for . Thanks

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
What if I am doing a 2 semester plus a 4-5 week co op which completes in May and then in September I will be again doing a 2 semester plus a co op . How many years would I get a pgwp for . Thanks
Each program of study must meet all PGWP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.
The length of the work permit would be equal to the combined length of each program. If the combined length is more than 2 years then the work permit issued would be valid for up to 3 years.
The above is the gist of operational guidelines followed by IRCC.
If both your program consists of mandatory co-op then a 3 years PGWP if co-op is optional then maybe a 2 years PGWP it all depends on how the IRCC interprets your combined program length.

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
Each program of study must meet all PGWP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.
The length of the work permit would be equal to the combined length of each program. If the combined length is more than 2 years then the work permit issued would be valid for up to 3 years.
The above is the gist of operational guidelines followed by IRCC.
If both your program consists of mandatory co-op then a 3 years PGWP if co-op is optional then maybe a 2 years PGWP it all depends on how the IRCC interprets your combined program length.

The co op is mandatory

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
Does the co op have to be of a certain length or even a 5 weeks is considered mandatory
Some programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You may apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

• you have a valid study permit
  • working is required to complete your study program in Canada
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree
  • your co-op or internship is 50% or less of the total program of study

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
The new rules are not clear, it used to be as long as your school considered a course 1 year you got credit for 1 year even if you only studied 8 months.

Now the rules specifically state they can choose to only consider the actual study time so you only get 8 months credit even if your school says its a 1 year program.

As these rules are new and untested no one really knows how officers will apply them!

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
The new rules are not clear, it used to be as long as your school considered a course 1 year you got credit for 1 year even if you only studied 8 months.

Now the rules specifically state they can choose to only consider the actual study time so you only get 8 months credit even if your school says its a 1 year program.

As these rules are new and untested no one really knows how officers will apply them!
Yeah I understand, CIC needs to be more specific about their rules.

However, what I do get is they're trying to REDUCE or rather LIMIT the duration of PGWP for people applying for short courses. I mean they should've realized how students are using short courses as a loop to get into Canada and then be on PGWP.