+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit - Leave Canada while Implied Status - Application October 2018

Lara1987

Dec 27, 2018
Hello,

I have been living in Canada since 2013. My study permit expired end of November 2018. I applied for a PGWP in October, the date that my application was received was 26th October. By the time I applied, the processing times were approximately 66 days, which means I should receive my PGWP the first week of January. Considering these facts, I decided to plan a trip to the U.S. and I will be leaving Canada on Sunday 30th December (without my PGWP) and returning to Canada on 20th January. I am aware of the implications of leaving the country while being in Implied Status, but I thought that my PGWP was going to be issued sometime in January, therefore, I would return to Canada once my PGWP has already been issued. My concern is: it has been already 2 weeks since the last time Immigration Canada website updated their information, today 27th December - "Processing times: Working on applications received on October 1, 2018." I am very worried because it seems like there is a delay in the process of the applications and I am afraid that once I want to come back to Canada, they will allow me to re-enter as a visitor, and I will loose my previous status as well as the possibility to apply for PR in the future.
I
n addition, since my Study Permit has already expired, I think I am not eligible anymore to apply to PGWP. So, re-applying at the border/point of entrance is not really a possibility anymore (I am not 100% sure about this)

Could someone give me some advice in relation to my situation?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You can re-enter Canada under implied status. Zero effect on your future PR application.
Make sure you bring along proof that you've applied for PGWP

Lara1987

Dec 27, 2018
You can re-enter Canada under implied status. Zero effect on your future PR application.
Make sure you bring along proof that you've applied for PGWP
Actually once I leave the country I loose the Implied Status. I can re-enter as A) Visitor (if the decision on my PGWP has not been made by the time I come back) or B) Worker (if the decision has been made). Implied status works as long as you remain in Canada until your new permit is issued.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
The point is, you can come back. So what are you worried about? It's not like you already secured a job and started working, and you can't continue to work if you leave then come back