17-05-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Passport Req..
30-06-3016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
Hello Everyone.

My husband and I (principal applicant) recently got married, and we are about to send the applications for my PR under family sponsorship class within Canada.

I am currently on Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires in April 2017. Considering of the 26 months-long processing time, applying for Open Work Permit (OWP) will be necessary for me to stay and continue working in Canada.

My questions on this matter are:
1. Am I allowed to apply for OWP at the same time of my PR application? or should I apply only for PR for now and wait until later this year for applying for the OWP since the current PGWP will be valid more than a year from now?

- From CIC website, I found that there is a Pilot Program as well as a bridging open work permit. I am not quite sure which OWP will be the one I need to apply for..

2. My husband and I are planning to go visit my family in Japan this coming March for 2 weeks. With my current PGWP, there should be no problem for me to come back to Canada. But my concern is if I send my PR application before our vacation, will this cause any issue when I leave/enter back to Canada in March(i.e. cancelling my application)?

I would like to apply for my PR as soon as I can but wanted to address the above concern.

Many thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What country are you from (Japan)?

Since you have ~ 14 months left on your PGWP, it's quite possible that an Outland application will be faster for you. A person can submit an Outland application from within Canada.

Many people from places like The U.S., The UK, Australia, complete the entire process (with an Outland application) in under 12 months (usually). I'm not sure about those form Japan, so just check around these forums for others that have applied Outland.

If you still decide to submit an Inland application, you should wait until later in the year to submit the OWP, because it will probably only be valid for 2 years. Most people include it with the Inland application, to benefit from `Implied Status', but since you have status until April 2017, you don't need that...yet.

Leaving Canada with an Inland application submitted is a bit risky, because if you are denied re-entry, your application will be canceled.

snowl26

Feb 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-05-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Passport Req..
30-06-3016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
canadausa#11 said:
If you have a work permit all the way to April 2017 why would you apply inland? Why do you need the OWP?
Hello canadausa#11:

I was thinking of applying inland because:

- I was afraid of losing my status in case my application process takes longer than expected and my PGWP expires. If I understand correctly, there is no open work permit available for outland applicants.
- Outland applicants will have an interview where the application is processed - so it could be at the oversea office? I wasn't sure about this but if we are required to come to an interview far away from where we live, it might be difficult for us to travel.

snowl26

Feb 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-05-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Passport Req..
30-06-3016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
Ponga said:
What country are you from (Japan)?

Since you have ~ 14 months left on your PGWP, it's quite possible that an Outland application will be faster for you. A person can submit an Outland application from within Canada.

Many people from places like The U.S., The UK, Australia, complete the entire process (with an Outland application) in under 12 months (usually). I'm not sure about those form Japan, so just check around these forums for others that have applied Outland.

If you still decide to submit an Inland application, you should wait until later in the year to submit the OWP, because it will probably only be valid for 2 years. Most people include it with the Inland application, to benefit from `Implied Status', but since you have status until April 2017, you don't need that...yet.

Leaving Canada with an Inland application submitted is a bit risky, because if you are denied re-entry, your application will be canceled.
Hello Ponga:

Thanks for your advice. I am from Japan and will try finding out what other Japanese people's experience is like.

I haven't decided either Inland or Outland, but sounds like I don't need to worry about OWP for now.. that's good news.

I would not take any risk for my application if at all possible, but out of curiosity, under what situation do you think one could be denied re-entry?

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
I would apply outland ASAP. Since you're already in Canada, good chance it gets sent to Ottawa where you're looking at 6-10 months total processing time. I would also find the Manila thread and see how long it's taking through that office as I think thats where Japanese applications can go also? Will have to check that.

Also not everyone is interviewed, if you have a pretty normal case then it is very unlikely you will be required for an interview.

snowl26

Feb 8, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-05-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Passport Req..
30-06-3016
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
canadausa#11 said:
I would apply outland ASAP. Since you're already in Canada, good chance it gets sent to Ottawa where you're looking at 6-10 months total processing time. I would also find the Manila thread and see how long it's taking through that office as I think thats where Japanese applications can go also? Will have to check that.

Also not everyone is interviewed, if you have a pretty normal case then it is very unlikely you will be required for an interview.
Thank you for your help, canadausa#11

Yes, I hear Japanese residents' applications go to Manila since Tokyo office was closed. As you said, since I already live in Canada, it makes more sense to have an interview in Ottawa, rather than at the other side of the world :)

I will do my best completing my applications so I don't get called for an interview then!

mane029

Oct 6, 2016
Category........
FAM
Hello Snowl26,

I am curious to find which route you ended up with your application and if you have any updates that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I am in a similar boat, I have a PGWP and my husband is Canadian so my dilemma is if I apply via out land and if my PGWP is close to expiration, am I eligible to apply for a bridge permit until my PR is processed?

All responses are much appreciated.

Thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mane029 said:
Hello Snowl26,

I am curious to find which route you ended up with your application and if you have any updates that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I am in a similar boat, I have a PGWP and my husband is Canadian so my dilemma is if I apply via out land and if my PGWP is close to expiration, am I eligible to apply for a bridge permit until my PR is processed?

Thank you
No.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
mane029 said:
Hello Snowl26,

Thank you
The OP landed as a PR in July. So outland was clearly the correct decision.

leb

Oct 22, 2015
snowl26 said:
Hello Everyone.

My husband and I (principal applicant) recently got married, and we are about to send the applications for my PR under family sponsorship class within Canada.

I am currently on Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires in April 2017. Considering of the 26 months-long processing time, applying for Open Work Permit (OWP) will be necessary for me to stay and continue working in Canada.

My questions on this matter are:
1. Am I allowed to apply for OWP at the same time of my PR application? or should I apply only for PR for now and wait until later this year for applying for the OWP since the current PGWP will be valid more than a year from now?

I actually have the same situation you had before, I am holding a PGWP now expries in April 2017, I am working on the inland application now, but it seems like applying outland is much faster, it's like 12months processing time now for HK office. SO I still thinking which one I should apply...
- From CIC website, I found that there is a Pilot Program as well as a bridging open work permit. I am not quite sure which OWP will be the one I need to apply for..

2. My husband and I are planning to go visit my family in Japan this coming March for 2 weeks. With my current PGWP, there should be no problem for me to come back to Canada. But my concern is if I send my PR application before our vacation, will this cause any issue when I leave/enter back to Canada in March(i.e. cancelling my application)?

I would like to apply for my PR as soon as I can but wanted to address the above concern.

Many thanks!

I actually have the same situation that you had before, I am holding a PGWP till April 2017, I currently working on my inland application but it seems like applying outland will be much faster,... according to the cic website which just need 12 months for the HK office. any suggestion?