+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit for Flight Instructor / Pilot

Anxious Girl

Jan 23, 2016
Hi there,

I'm trying to help my friend apply for his Post Graduate Work Permit as a Flight Instructor in Canada. He has completed his studies in Canada and should be eligible. He has already submitted his application and Immigration Canada have just requested that he provide an offer of employment (within a 1-week turnaround!).

I'm wondering if this is a new requirement for flight instructors? As far as we know, it's not required of applicants for a post graduate work permit to have an offer of employment, so we certainly didn't expect this.... is there anyone out there who has gone through this process?

If yes, can you shed more light on why the offer is required and if there are any specific requirements that must be included in the offer i.e. minimum hours (bearing in mind the difference between work hours and flight hours) or pay etc?

Urgently seeking more information so thanks ahead for any feedback pertaining to this!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PGWP don't require offers of employment. Are you sure you attended a school and program that qualifies for a PGWP? It sounds to me like CIC may be processing the application as a non-PGWP work permit since they don't believe you qualify for one.

Anxious Girl

Jan 23, 2016
Thanks scylla.

Interesting response. That is our concern also, but he has definitely completed his training in Canada which was longer in duration than 8 months and has successfully received his ratings. In his application, he did not put down that he has an offer of employment, so we are not sure why CIC would assume so. I did do some more research last night and came across the following information on CIC's page under PGWPP, which I believe to be new:

Flight instructors who meet either of the following criteria may be issued work permits under the PGWPP. In order to be eligible, applicants must:

have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and have obtained a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence; and
have obtained, or be in the process of obtaining, an instructor’s rating and have received an offer of employment as a flight instructor from a flight training centre.

Applicants providing either of the above documents may be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for three years if the flight-training course was at least two years. Applicants whose course of study is between eight months and two years will be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for the length of the program. Flight training courses under eight months do not qualify a student for a post-graduation work permit. For additional details on flight schools regulated by Transport Canada, refer to the Department's website.

What's your take on this? Is this a new condition? We know several instructors who have applied through PGWPP after similar education and they have never had to submit offers of employment.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK - I wasn't aware of that. So it does look like the PGWP rules are different for individuals who have finished flight school. I've also found the same information now on the CIC site.

I don't know if this is a new requirement or not (my guess is that it's been in place since at least June 2014 if not earlier). But it's quite clear you do in fact need a job offer in order to obtain a PGWP. So that's why CIC is requesting the job offer - it's a condition of obtaining the PGWP. Without a job offer the PGWP won't be approved.

Anxious Girl

Jan 23, 2016
Thanks scyall Appreciate the responses and having a second opinion on what we are finding.

Does anyone else have experience with offers of employment specifically for pilots/flight instructors? We are trying to find more information on exactly what CIC require in the offer from a standpoint of hrs, pay, etc specific to flight instructors/pilots. We've seen the CIC offer of employment template on the website, but that's pretty generic.

If anyone else has pointers/feedback, I'm all ears.

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

scylla said:
OK - I wasn't aware of that. So it does look like the PGWP rules are different for individuals who have finished flight school. I've also found the same information now on the CIC site.

I don't know if this is a new requirement or not (my guess is that it's been in place since at least June 2014 if not earlier). But it's quite clear you do in fact need a job offer in order to obtain a PGWP. So that's why CIC is requesting the job offer - it's a condition of obtaining the PGWP. Without a job offer the PGWP won't be approved.
1, Actually the way IRCC handles flight schools students has been in effect for over 20 years.
2, Also the work permit will only be as long as the flight training..

aviator777

May 31, 2016
Dear fellow mates I have Converted Foreign CPL into Canadian CPL by doing CPAER exam and also I have done flight test from

canadian training centre (for which i did ground school and also logged flight time towards flight test prep) .

And presently I am doing instructor rating . its been an year to me here in canada . Now my doubt is as since my training for original CPl wasnt form

canadian flying school . Am I still Eligible for post graduation work permit ??

Thanks

Reactions: Rafiulahmed

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
Hi guys I am posting for a friend of mine that is wondering if he can apply for a post graduate work program. )3 completed the pilot program at the sea land flight centre in BC and he currently works part time as a flight instructor for a simulator .

Can he apply for a post graduate work permit ? Or does he need a full time job offer ? 2$3' sending in the application .

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
HoPe90 said:
Hi guys I am posting for a friend of mine that is wondering if he can apply for a post graduate work program. )3 completed the pilot program at the sea land flight centre in BC and he currently works part time as a flight instructor for a simulator .

Can he apply for a post graduate work permit ? Or does he need a full time job offer ? 2$3' sending in the application .
Well first question would be is your friend working in Canada and if so under which permit given if completed studies can no longer work under a study permit even if part time ?

Has your friend or yourself checked the requirements for a PGWP and is the flight center on the designated learning list. Your friend would not need any job offer to get a PGWP but as said if working now in Canada without any current work or study status having finished the course then working illegally.

See here for the requirements for a PGWP whioch must be applied for within 90 days http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guys it clearly states that u need an offer letter to get PGWP.
Where do you see you need a job offer to get a PGWP ? A PGWP is an open work permit all you need to have when you apply is a current/ valid study permit and a course completion letter from the college.

Gaurav kash

Mar 25, 2018
Bs65 this is exactly what the website says as mentioned above....
Flight instructors who meet either of the following criteria may be issued work permits under the PGWPP. In order to be eligible, applicants must:

have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and have obtained a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence; and
have obtained, or be in the process of obtaining, an instructor’s rating and have received an offer of employment as a flight instructor from a flight training centre.

Applicants providing either of the above documentsmay be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for three years if the flight-training course was at least two

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
For PGWP there are two clauses in terms for Pilots .

1. Who have done CPL in Canada and Instructor Rating .

and

2. Who did Instructor Rating (ONLY) and wanna get a PGWP .
Only they need an employment letter.

Let me confirm from my school :)

Gaurav kash

Mar 25, 2018
I am about to leave for Canada to do instructor rating.. Now the worrying part is if they will issue me a job offer letter. Else I will get stuck up :(