+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit expiring soon - HELP!!!!

dianaannep

Sep 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

I came to Canada in 2010, finished my 2 year program and applied and received my PGWP in the beginning of 2013. I have been working in Canada ever since. My NOC code is 5241 and skill type is B.

I have a full-time permanent position, I haven't applied to PNP since i'm still under probation period at my work. My problem is my permit is expiring next year April 2016. I have no invitation through EE at this point and I'm really stressed out. I tried to find all sorts of information online but everything is misleading and confusing.

I need to know is it possible to extend my PGWP work permit? or change it to Temporary work permit?

What are the steps I need to take? Do I require LMIA even though i'm employed, falls under skill type B?

What are the steps to apply for LMIA if i'm already employed? Where should I forward my employer to do the application?

Can my employer be any help to extend my stay?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't extend your PGWP. If your employer obtains an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a temporary work permit. Yes - an LMIA is certainly required even through your job falls under skill type B.

dianaannep

Sep 20, 2015
scylla said:
You can't extend your PGWP. If your employer obtains an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a temporary work permit. Yes - an LMIA is certainly required even through your job falls under skill type B.
But it says on the CIC website that its LMIA exempt. cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Is it still possible for my employer to apply for one?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
dianaannep said:
But it says on the CIC website that its LMIA exempt. cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

Is it still possible for my employer to apply for one?
PGWP is once in a lifetime.

This means you can apply and work under PGWP without LMIA, Not extending it.

When it expires, you can get LMIA and get WP based on it, by then you're on TFWP, not PGWP anymore.

nuno1313

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have your company try and get you an LMIA. I am not sure how often CIC does it but I got a one year WP extension after my PGWP ran out. This gave me enough time to apply for EE and get my PR done.

adviser2015

Sep 21, 2015
PGWP is a onetime opportunity that cannot be extended.
You can also put up your express entry profile and at the same time apply for nominee in your province.

chat2ash

May 6, 2015
I am in the same boat as yours. My company has applied for the Pre screening process of PNP.
The problem is, there are two employees in my company that is in my same situation. So if the if Pre screening process is complete and my company gets the license, would all 3 of us be able to apply for PNP or the pre screening process is only for one person ?
We all work in the same position.

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dianaannep said:
Hi everyone,

I came to Canada in 2010, finished my 2 year program and applied and received my PGWP in the beginning of 2013. I have been working in Canada ever since. My NOC code is 5241 and skill type is B.

I have a full-time permanent position, I haven't applied to PNP since i'm still under probation period at my work. My problem is my permit is expiring next year April 2016. I have no invitation through EE at this point and I'm really stressed out. I tried to find all sorts of information online but everything is misleading and confusing.

I need to know is it possible to extend my PGWP work permit? or change it to Temporary work permit?

What are the steps I need to take? Do I require LMIA even though i'm employed, falls under skill type B?

What are the steps to apply for LMIA if i'm already employed? Where should I forward my employer to do the application?

Can my employer be any help to extend my stay?
How many points do you have? April 2016 is still some time away, maybe you get ITA by then! How long did you get your PGWP for? Unfortunately, PGWP is a once in a lifetime deal, so you can't actually renew it.