+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post CoPR questions

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I recently had my passport returned to me from Ottawa with the CoPR and a letter with some instructions. I will be going to the States in a couple weeks and so my return will give me an opportunity to have my landing. Just curious about a few things:

• I won't be getting my PR card right away- in the absence of the card, can I continue to travel in an out of Canada after my landing? I travel for work so it is somewhat worrying that I have to wait for my physical card (if that's the case)
  • Apart from my passport and CoPR, do I need to present any other documents at the airport when landing? The letter did not mention anything about this.
  • Once I do receive my PR card, I am assuming this along with my passport is what I will need to travel to Canada?

Thanks!

Edit: one more question: how long does it usually take to get one's PR card after completing the landing (for those already residing in Canada)?

niagary

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
karan-91 said:
I recently had my passport returned to me from Ottawa with the CoPR and a letter with some instructions. I will be going to the States in a couple weeks and so my return will give me an opportunity to have my landing. Just curious about a few things:

- I won't be getting my PR card right away- in the absence of the card, can I continue to travel in an out of Canada after my landing? I travel for work so it is somewhat worrying that I have to wait for my physical card (if that's the case)
- Apart from my passport and CoPR, do I need to present any other documents at the airport when landing? The letter did not mention anything about this.
- Once I do receive my PR card, I am assuming this along with my passport is what I will need to travel to Canada?

Thanks!
At landing you would be asked for copr and passport. You could be asked for proof of settlement funds. If you are or were on work permit, you could be asked those documents.

You cannot ping pong between countries through air or sea before you get physical PR card. You could do land crossing anytime with your copr, however, you cannot pass through commercial vehicle at land border.

Once you have pr card....all good.

kriscan

Sep 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2016
AOR Received.
24-01-2016
Med's Done....
26-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
the address which we need to provide during landing (where PR will be sent) needs to be from a specific province? how is landing for province nominee different.
PS: my passport and COPR is on the way, I'm getting curious on this.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
kriscan said:
the address which we need to provide during landing (where PR will be sent) needs to be from a specific province? how is landing for province nominee different.
PS: my passport and COPR is on the way, I'm getting curious on this.
It is the same process for all - You need to provide a Canadian address at the time of landing. If you do not have an address at the time of landing, you can update a Canadian address on your myCIC profile at a later point in time and the card will be sent to that address.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
  • karan-91 said:

• I won't be getting my PR card right away- in the absence of the card, can I continue to travel in an out of Canada after my landing? I travel for work so it is somewhat worrying that I have to wait for my physical card (if that's the case)

Yes, you can travel outside Canada after you become a PR and before you get your PR card. However, when you want to comeback to Canada, you need to have a PR card. If you do not have your PR card, then you can apply for a one-time Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD). You can procure this document in the Canadian High Commission/Embassy in the country that you are traveling to.

Here's the link ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/travel-document/

• Apart from my passport and CoPR, do I need to present any other documents at the airport when landing? The letter did not mention anything about this.

You need to show your POF, if asked. Also, you should have the list of items that you are carrying and the list of items that are yet to arrvee - Form BSF186 (previously known as form B4).

here's the link ---> http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf186-eng.html

• Once I do receive my PR card, I am assuming this along with my passport is what I will need to travel to Canada?

When you are going to land for the first time, you will not have your PR card. You will have your PP + COPR. Once you land and activate your PR status, you will receive your PR card in about 2 months. For future travels, you need to use your PP + PR card.
karan-91 said:
Thanks!

Edit: one more question: how long does it usually take to get one's PR card after completing the landing (for those already residing in Canada)?

AFAIK, its the standard number of days for everybody - doesn't matter if they are from inside or outside Canada.

kriscan

Sep 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2016
AOR Received.
24-01-2016
Med's Done....
26-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
rajkamalmohanram said:
It is the same process for all - You need to provide a Canadian address at the time of landing. If you do not have an address at the time of landing, you can update a Canadian address on your myCIC profile at a later point in time and the card will be sent to that address.
thanks rajkamalmohanram,
how about the second part of the question, can we land a different city ? how is landing for provincial nominee different from a non PNP?
I have a query from one of the company asking me whether I can land and move to different city for work since their office is not in the city i'm landing?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
kriscan said:
thanks rajkamalmohanram,
how about the second part of the question, can we land a different city ? how is landing for provincial nominee different from a non PNP?
I have a query from one of the company asking me whether I can land and move to different city for work since their office is not in the city i'm landing?
If you haven't taken the PNP route, you can land anywhere but Qubec. You can land in Qubec but it is suggested that you don't. However, once you land at any other port of entry, you can freely move around the country. You don't necessarily have to land in the intended place that is mentioned in your COPR.

For Provincial Nominees, it is recommended that they land in the province that nominated them. If the person has to land in a different province for whatever reason, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that they have an onward ticket to the province that nominated them and a good reason as to why the person has landed in this province.

Please note that the landing formalities are ALWAYS completed at the first port of entry, no matter what.

vishal2390

Feb 5, 2013
I am fsw inland and got my copr today.

Got aor on 12th January. Got married in May so added spouse after 4 nonths of AOR. Now on copr, marital status says single. And under dependent info, there is spouse details.

I'm confused. What should I do?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
vishal2390 said:
I am fsw inland and got my copr today.

Got aor on 12th January. Got married in May so added spouse after 4 nonths of AOR. Now on copr, marital status says single. And under dependent info, there is spouse details.

I'm confused. What should I do?
Bring this to the attention of your VO and get it corrected. You can also raise a CSE and let them know.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
Hi,
I will be going to USA for a month from India on my visitor visa, before I fly out to Canada from there. My question is:-
Is it ok if I take a one way ticket IND-USA and then buy another ticket of USA-Canada? Will this create any problem when I land in USA because I am on visitor visa but no return ticket but just an onward ticket. Is that fine? Please let me know if somebody has any idea.

Note:- I will be buying both the tickets from India only before I fly. That means...when I land in USA I will be having my onward ticket to Toronto too.

Deepi_911

Apr 24, 2017
Hi,
I will be going to USA for a month from India on my visitor visa, before I fly out to Canada from there. My question is:-
Is it ok if I take a one way ticket IND-USA and then buy another ticket of USA-Canada? Will this create any problem when I land in USA because I am on visitor visa but no return ticket but just an onward ticket. Is that fine? Please let me know if somebody has any idea.

Note:- I will be buying both the tickets from India only before I fly. That means...when I land in USA I will be having my onward ticket to Toronto too.
Yes it is fine. Immigration officer would ask you about your Return and you can say that you are flying to canada and if demanded you can show your tickets. US Immigration just want you to leave the country no matter where you go.

Reactions: DiNaV