+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-AOR Layoff (covid-19) and Job Offer (Express Entry)

channychanchan

Sep 28, 2018
Hi all,

I applied for EE under the CEC stream (1 years work exp) and had a CRS score of 478 with the arranged employment job offer (50 points).
I got my AOR in March 2020.
This is the same employer who I am currently working for right now.

But my hours have been cut by quite a fair bit because of the coronavirus (I'm a cook) and the employer has offered to lay me off and issue an ROE so I can claim EI.
If I go through with this, does this mean my 50 points for my arranged employment will disappear and my CRS score adjusted to 428? (I am going to assume my ITA would be cancelled if this happens)
Or would it be possible to argue that the job offer is still valid, that I am just no longer working in it right now, and that I would go back to work once the COVID-19 dies down and the PR comes through.

I do not want to lose those 50 points so I'm willing to not claim EI and ask to not be laid off if that's possible.

Experts, help please!

BTW I have a closed work permit with an LMIA

ShakthiH

Dec 12, 2018
I would believe quite a few folks under CEC would fall in this category. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to argue with IRCC if we get laid off.. And PR applications are going to get rejected since we will not meet MEC, unless IRCC makes any exemptions(which I don't see happening).

A couple of options I can think of,
1. See if there is any way the employer agrees to keep you employed for a reduced salary or minimum wage until you get your PR.
2. Start looking for any other potential employers and see if anyone is ready to sponsor LMIA/work permit. If so, it will take a while, but you can get back into the pool with new LMIA and employer details. You will have time till your WP validity to stay and look for such employers.
3. Anything you feel you can use as a bargaining chip, feel free to use!! like, agreeing to work for a lesser salary for a few more months even after Covid-19 saga. Agreeing to be loyal for at least 2 years.

I know these are all harsh on you, but just some options for you to explore..

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
You already had the required 1 year work experience for which you claimed points?

JAssimTeeky

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
I would believe quite a few folks under CEC would fall in this category. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to argue with IRCC if we get laid off.. And PR applications are going to get rejected since we will not meet MEC, unless IRCC makes any exemptions(which I don't see happening).

A couple of options I can think of,
1. See if there is any way the employer agrees to keep you employed for a reduced salary or minimum wage until you get your PR.
2. Start looking for any other potential employers and see if anyone is ready to sponsor LMIA/work permit. If so, it will take a while, but you can get back into the pool with new LMIA and employer details. You will have time till your WP validity to stay and look for such employers.
3. Anything you feel you can use as a bargaining chip, feel free to use!! like, agreeing to work for a lesser salary for a few more months even after Covid-19 saga. Agreeing to be loyal for at least 2 years.

I know these are all harsh on you, but just some options for you to explore..
MEC for CEC is just one year of experience?

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
Hi all,

I applied for EE under the CEC stream (1 years work exp) and had a CRS score of 478 with the arranged employment job offer (50 points).

But my hours have been cut by quite a fair bit because of the coronavirus (I'm a cook) and the employer has offered to lay me off and issue an ROE so I can claim EI.
If I go through with this, does this mean my 50 points for my arranged employment will disappear and my CRS score adjusted to 428? (I am going to assume my ITA would be cancelled if this happens)
Or would it be possible to argue that the job offer is still valid, that I am just no longer working in it right now, and that I would go back to work once the COVID-19 dies down and the PR comes through.

I do not want to lose those 50 points so I'm willing to not claim EI and ask to not be laid off if that's possible.

Experts, help please!

I'm on the same boat.

In the current situation, if the employer states that you are currently employed in the letter of employment, I think it should be fine
Your employer will resume your work after the emergency situation, and he can confirm that to IRCC, if they call your employer to verify the job offer/current employment.

I would explain to IRCC, if they challenge the 50 points, that the job offer/current employment are still valid because most of the job is suspended due to the emergency situation.

channychanchan

Sep 28, 2018
I'm on the same boat.

In the current situation, if the employer states that you are currently employed in the letter of employment, I think it should be fine
Your employer will resume your work after the emergency situation, and he can confirm that to IRCC, if they call your employer to verify the job offer/current employment.

I would explain to IRCC, if they challenge the 50 points, that the job offer/current employment are still valid because most of the job is suspended due to the emergency situation.
Good luck with your application, and I hope the situation gets resolved for both you and I.
I agree, your suggestion seems to be the only course of action if it comes to it.

liliya

Jan 5, 2015
Hi all,

Experts, help please!

In case someone else has the same situation: my employer is temporarily closed due to covid and I was claiming 50 points for job offer, I got my PR approved. I don’t know if they contacted my employer or not(waiting to find out now) but they didn’t ask me for an updated offer or any additional documents. As long as your offer is legit, your employer still supports you, and your job offer letter follows all their instructions I think it should be fine.

Just posting because I know I’ve been looking for this information and was panicking, so in case someone else is going through the same just wanted to share! Good luck!

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
In case someone else has the same situation: my employer is temporarily closed due to covid and I was claiming 50 points for job offer, I got my PR approved. I don’t know if they contacted my employer or not(waiting to find out now) but they didn’t ask me for an updated offer or any additional documents. As long as your offer is legit, your employer still supports you, and your job offer letter follows all their instructions I think it should be fine.

Just posting because I know I’ve been looking for this information and was panicking, so in case someone else is going through the same just wanted to share! Good luck!
You are so lucky that they didn't check you. Congrats!

liliya

Jan 5, 2015
You are so lucky that they didn't check you. Congrats!
Thank you! Did they check with your employer?
I’m waiting to hear if they contacted mine or not, they might have! I worked with this employer for the last 3 years, and got lmia approved just for pr, so it was all squeaky clean, other than covid closure. You are right though, I guess it all depends on the officer assigned!

bosco2814

Jan 5, 2020
Thank you! Did they check with your employer?
I’m waiting to hear if they contacted mine or not, they might have! I worked with this employer for the last 3 years, and got lmia approved just for pr, so it was all squeaky clean, other than covid closure. You are right though, I guess it all depends on the officer assigned!
My application still in progress, my estimated complete date should be in OCT.
And I will be back to work in the coming weeks, so I should be fine.

Reactions: liliya

Gbch21

Apr 16, 2021

Did you report to IRCC that you were temporary layoff ?

Gbch21

Apr 16, 2021
My application still in progress, my estimated complete date should be in OCT.
And I will be back to work in the coming weeks, so I should be fine.
Can we get some updates? I am in the same situation right now and I wanted to know how did you do? :)