+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibly on record for not being "Common law", despite actually being so for 3 years

Dellace

Jan 8, 2019
You really need to check if your partner has changed his tax status. If not and he has himself listed as single, recommend he change his status asap and refile his past tax returns where he should have declared himself common law. This is a key piece of evidence that IRCC considers when confirming you are common law.
Hey, it turns out he hasn't listed me as common law on tax returns because the check box refused to let him proceed without a "SIN" number. I don't have one.. The severity of the error didn't really register to either of us,but now it's a new issue!

Will they take this fact into account? How can he re-file his last tax return so that it includes a non-Canadian common law with no Canadian "SIN"? He says he will be making a call to have them fix this. Hopefully this doesn't cause problems

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey, it turns out he hasn't listed me as common law on tax returns because the check box refused to let him proceed without a "SIN" number. I don't have one.. The severity of the error didn't really register to either of us,but now it's a new issue!

Will they take this fact into account? How can he re-file his last tax return so that it includes a non-Canadian common law with no Canadian "SIN"? He says he will be making a call to have them fix this. Hopefully this doesn't cause problems
If I recall, he just needs to put all zeroes for your SIN. Note that he needs to re-file all years from the one year anniversary of living together, i.e. if you hit one year of living together in 2016, he needs to re-file 2016 and 2017.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Per the response above, you can certainly file as common law even if your partner doesn't have a SIN. I would personally proceed with filing the application, show evidence that you've changed his status with CRA and then state in the application that he will be refiling his taxes for the years that were filed incorrectly.