+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Undeclared common law.

Mguri123

Mar 21, 2024
Hello everyone,

Sorry if the story is all over the place, i will do my best to explain and keep it concise.

I wanted to ask for some advice about me and my wife's situation. We knew each other since high school back in India and were very good friends and our families knew each other. Our families decided that we should go to Canada together as we had similar educational interests. We came to Canada in 2019 and lived together ( in shared accommodation with other people and separate rooms) till 2022. Since 2022 March we have been living with my elder sister in an 2 bedroom apartment where we shared rooms together. We both were very young when we came here and got slowly emotionally attached with each other. We started dating a couple months before i became PR.

We were eventually going to marry each other, but decided to get court married in dec 2023 so i could sponsor my partner as her work permit was expiring soon. However our consultant tells us that IRCC might think i did misrepresentation as we were living together as common law? However we were not dating each other were living in separate rooms and shared no financial responsibility at all. I was sharing a room with a guy and she was living in sharing with another girl. We both were 19 and were not even thinking about committing in a relationship with each other. My consultant is saying that its a possibility that we might get refused but its very unlikely? Should i go ahead with my application or no?

Edit : Forgot to mention that I became a PR in Sep 2021.