+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible to extend IEC visa to any other visa??

staccato

Feb 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am currently on working holiday visa [New Zealand citizen] which expires on 15th June 2015. I am currently engaged to my girlfriend who is Canadian.

I am currently employed full-time. What I would like to know is if it would be possible for me to extend my IEC working holiday visa?

Even if I would be able to stay in the country for another couple of months. Would I be able to transfer on to a visitor's visa prior to my working holiday visa expiring?

If this is not possible, would they be any other way? :)

Thanks for any help!
S

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
(how can I extend my stay as a worker?):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=474&t=17

If you switch to a tourist visa you won't be authorized to work.
You might qualify for EE. Look into it!

You mentioned you're engaged to a Canadian. If you've been common law for one year and she meets the minimum requirements to sponsor you, you might be able to get an open work permit within 4 months. CIC just introduced a one-year pilot program for common law partners in Canada class:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

Some countries allow you to apply for IEC twice, but it has to be a different category. There are at least 3 different categories and I'm guessing you came under the general one: working holiday?

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
staccato said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently on working holiday visa [New Zealand citizen] which expires on 15th June 2015. I am currently engaged to my girlfriend who is Canadian.

I am currently employed full-time. What I would like to know is if it would be possible for me to extend my IEC working holiday visa?

Even if I would be able to stay in the country for another couple of months. Would I be able to transfer on to a visitor's visa prior to my working holiday visa expiring?

If this is not possible, would they be any other way? :)

Thanks for any help!
S
Typically not, but it depends on your country's agreement with Canada. I think this link might help you: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=181&t=17

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
staccato said:
I am currently on working holiday visa [New Zealand citizen] which expires on 15th June 2015.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/
"Note: As a citizen of New Zealand, you may participate in IEC only once."

So, no, you cannot get another IEC Visa.

Yes, but you cannot work after the IEC visa expires.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

You can either apply per the information on the link above, or exit and re-enter Canada as a visitor (since you're from a visa-exempt country).

If this is not possible, would they be any other way? :) I am currently engaged to my girlfriend who is Canadian.

1) Find an employer who is willing to apply for an LMIA, then apply for a temporary work permit. (this takes time, but staying as a visitor would give you that time).
2) If you have sufficient skilled work experience, you can apply for permanent residence under the express entry system.
3) Get married, have her submit a sponsorship application, and then apply for PR under the Family Class.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add to the above post, if you have an employer who is able to obtain an LMIA and you are able to apply for a work permit before your current permit expires, you maintain your status as a worker and can continue to work on implied status between the time your current work permit expires and the new work permit is issued as long as you apply for the new work permit BEFORE expiry of your current permit.

And before someone tells me "you can't extend an IEC permit", I know that. BUT you are NOT applying for an extension of the IEC permit. You are applying for an extension of STATUS as a worker and CHANGING YOUR CONDITIONS to a new type of work permit. Therefore, you are meeting the conditions or Section 186(3) of IRPR.

Glitzy23

Mar 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Unfortunately you cannot extend an IEC Work Permit as I was in the same situation. I managed to get the immigration officer at the border to grant me a 6 month tourist visa as I have a Canadian partner while I sorted out my CEC application but I could no longer work!

Glitzy23

Mar 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
I should add that you can apply for yor BOWP 4 months before your IEC work Permit expires if applying for PR under a certain program like CEC. Have you used all of your allowed IEC Work Permits? Long story short I made an error in my first CEC application and they took 5 months sending it back which meant my IEC work permit expired and I couldn't get a BOWP as I had no AOR and in order to get BOWP it stipulates you must have a valid work permit!

staccato

Feb 27, 2014
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the replies! They have been very helpful in helping me decide with my very many options.

I have decided to go ahead and apply for a "visitor's visa", which will help me get a few months more stay in the country after my working holiday visa expires.

Could you please help me understand how does this work. After they approve my visitors visa do they just send me a piece of paper which gives me the legal right to stay in the country for another six months?

So this is what I would sure the authorities at the border? Is that correct?

Thanks for the help
S

Glitzy23

Mar 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
staccato said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the replies! They have been very helpful in helping me decide with my very many options.

I have decided to go ahead and apply for a "visitor's visa", which will help me get a few months more stay in the country after my working holiday visa expires.

Could you please help me understand how does this work. After they approve my visitors visa do they just send me a piece of paper which gives me the legal right to stay in the country for another six months?

So this is what I would sure the authorities at the border? Is that correct?
I don't know if you are able to apply for a tourist visa online, I believe once your work permit expires you will need go to the border the next day as you will be illegally in Canada. It's different if you was applying for PR because you can apply for a BOWP but honestly don't think you can for tourist visa.

I lived in Vancouver and just went to Peace Arch border and explained that I wished to stay in Canada as a tourist. My Canadian partner came with me and the officer was extremely nice and granted me a 6 month tourist visa but I believe generally they are for a 3 month period. They will ask you several questions to clarify why you want to stay like; 'how you will finance your stay, where will you be living and you do not plan to work'. If you have any documents to clarify these then bring them with you, it is totally up to the officer if they grant you the tourist visa and how long for.

If granted the tourist visa they will make you flagpole to the states and come straight back to Canada and print you off a visa very similar to your IEC work permit and stamp it into your passport.

Hope this helps!

staccato

Feb 27, 2014
Glitzy23 said:
I don't know if you are able to apply for a tourist visa online, I believe once your work permit expires you will need go to the border the next day as you will be illegally in Canada. It's different if you was applying for PR because you can apply for a BOWP but honestly don't think you can for tourist visa.

I lived in Vancouver and just went to Peace Arch border and explained that I wished to stay in Canada as a tourist. My Canadian partner came with me and the officer was extremely nice and granted me a 6 month tourist visa but I believe generally they are for a 3 month period. They will ask you several questions to clarify why you want to stay like; 'how you will finance your stay, where will you be living and you do not plan to work'. If you have any documents to clarify these then bring them with you, it is totally up to the officer if they grant you the tourist visa and how long for.

If granted the tourist visa they will make you flagpole to the states and come straight back to Canada and print you off a visa very similar to your IEC work permit and stamp it into your passport.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply! This does make sense and this is going to be the other alternative if applying online doesn't work out. However "Jess_ON" a few posts above posted that I should be able to do this online. I was just wanting to clarify this.

Ill post the link on the next post with a quote. This doesn't let me post links directly for some reason

staccato

Feb 27, 2014
Hi Glitzy23,

Please scroll up to "Reply #3" - And its the 2nd link down!

Do let me know if i can do this :)

Thanks
S