+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

possible to change Visitor's Visa to Work Visa

Dec 6, 2018
My husband (Citizen) and I have recently moved to BC. Before moving, both of us began the application process to transfer our professional licensing from the US to Canada. Currently, we are each still in processing. Where as he is a returning citizen, I was granted entry as a visitor with a one year visa. After arriving and familiarizing myself with the ITA's operating format, I am still trying to determine if, as a visitor, with a license to teach as a skilled/processional, will the LMO hinder or help my Ministry of Education employment (and/or would I be better off [if possible] applying for a job within the education system directly via work Visa). Finally, is it possible, under any circumstances, to get a work visa while on a visitor's visa.

Once I do this, then apply for a work visa. It seems each option has a subsequent drawback.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband (Citizen) and I have recently moved to BC. Before moving, both of us began the application process to transfer our professional licensing from the US to Canada. Currently, we are each still in processing. Where as he is a returning citizen, I was granted entry as a visitor with a one year visa. After arriving and familiarizing myself with the ITA's operating format, I am still trying to determine if, as a visitor, with a license to teach as a skilled/processional, will the LMO hinder or help my Ministry of Education employment (and/or would I be better off [if possible] applying for a job within the education system directly via work Visa). Finally, is it possible, under any circumstances, to get a work visa while on a visitor's visa.

Once I do this, then apply for a work visa. It seems each option has a subsequent drawback.
Have you applied for spousal sponsorship yet?

To apply for a work permit, you need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Your post is confusing. ITAs related to applying for PR through Express Entry. Even if you do this, you won't qualify for a work permit while you wait. You must be already holding a work permit to qualify to apply for a bridging open work permit while you wait for the PR application to be processed. But you're here under visitor status.

To get a work permit on your own right now, you would need a job offer and your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. LMIA is a massive hinderance. This isn't going to happen in the education field. Canada has way more qualified teachers than roles available and an LMIA won't be approved (employer won't be able to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role). Also, if you happen to be reading any websites mentioning "LMO" - stop. LMOs are gone and were replaced with LMIAs several years ago.

Fastest way for you to get a work permit is for your husband to sponsor you for PR using the inland spousal sponsorship program and include an open work permit application with the sponsorship application. The work permit will be approved around four months after the complete application is received.

Dec 6, 2018
Your post is confusing. ITAs related to applying for PR through Express Entry. Even if you do this, you won't qualify for a work permit while you wait. You must be already holding a work permit to qualify to apply for a bridging open work permit while you wait for the PR application to be processed. But you're here under visitor status.

To get a work permit on your own right now, you would need a job offer and your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. LMIA is a massive hinderance. This isn't going to happen in the education field. Canada has way more qualified teachers than roles available and an LMIA won't be approved (employer won't be able to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role). Also, if you happen to be reading any websites mentioning "LMO" - stop. LMOs are gone and were replaced with LMIAs several years ago.

Fastest way for you to get a work permit is for your husband to sponsor you for PR using the inland spousal sponsorship program and include an open work permit application with the sponsorship application. The work permit will be approved around four months after the complete application is received.
Thank you for your prompt and directive response. You have just confirmed our findings, especially regarding LMIA. This will likely be my route given the application is approve given my husband just become a 'bonafide' Canadian citizen three weeks ago, receiving all of his documentation (DL, SIN#, Etc.) Off to another rabbit hole. Hopefully, this one isn't as deep for goodness sake.

So said Alice.
Gratitude from the abundance scylla

Dec 6, 2018

To apply for a work permit, you need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA.

Just printed application! Appreciate your response. No worries